First MTB- Mtbr.com

Thread: First MTB

mtbr member
    May 2019

First MTB

Hi all,

Looking for some advise on buying my first mountain bike.

Have extensive experience riding moto x at a pretty high level and bmx also. Stopped riding about 7 years ago (Only 27 now but had kids early so had to quit).

So now looking to get back into riding and wanna give mountain biking a go.

Budget is £1500(absolute max), looking to ride wooded trails, light downhill and dirt jumps. On occasion will ride to work so something that can ride on roads ok from time to time.

Wants;
    Hardtail (better spec for price and wonít be riding super heavy stuff that often)
    Dropper post
    Decent forks (probably revelations best for price point?)
    1x gearing
    Probably 27.5Ē wheels as Iím 5Ē9 1/2 but not adverse to 29ers
    Internal cable routing (not essential)
    Decentish brakes (used to not having brakes on bmx so all will probably feel great &#128077

Was looking at the following:

San Quentin 3 £1450
    Probably my fave looks wise plus has internal cabling and good jump bike but heard brakes arenít the best and will be super lively on trails:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Marin-San-Q...MTB_125500.htm

Vitus Sentier vrs £1250
    Similar spec without internal cabling and probably better brakes
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...iABEgKzEvD_BwE

Or the wild card

Merida big trail 700 £1150, similar spec to the other 2 probably better spec and lower price, but has 27.5+ tyres that everyone seems to be hating on

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Big-...MTB_110637.htm

Any opinions on these bikes, or better bikes for the money please let me know!

The help will be much appreciated.

Billy
    Last edited by DonBilco; 05-24-2019 at 01:22 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    As a beginner I absolutely love my rekon 2.8 and 2.6 Tyres. And 27.5 wheels to the 29 set.
    With your moto and bmx history definitely go 27.5 and imo 2.6 or 2.8 tyres is just flat out fun and gives some slack for errors heading into the loose.

For the bike I would tend to go for the one with the longest wheelbase and slackest headtube. Geo is most important by far. Minimizes risk of over the bar accident and it's easier to ride as the sweet spot for balance is larger. Besides you can go faster on the dh

Have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    If you are in the UK, take a look at Bird Bikes and Whyte Bikes. Some of the best bang for your buck bikes you can get. Great prices and progressive geometry for riding anything you are capable of.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    + 1 for the San Quentin

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Ok thanks for the replies so far, Iíve had a look at bird bikes and was considering.

Anyone got any views on the 27.5+ bike? Specs good other than that but i donít wanna be stuck with one if it handles like a donkey and is slow on the ups and drags.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DonBilco View Post
    Ok thanks for the replies so far, Iíve had a look at bird bikes and was considering.

Anyone got any views on the 27.5+ bike? Specs good other than that but i donít wanna be stuck with one if it handles like a donkey and is slow on the ups and drags.
    The merida specs is certainly super fine durable and easy to maintain and cheap to replace. Good stuff for sure for the price. As for the geo I cant see numbers but from looking at the pics it seems like the most xc styled of the bunch so very responsive and fast on the uphill vs the others. The rekon 2.8 tyres is fitted to 35mm rims and that's imo perfect with for that tyre.

I can't see what rekon type it is but the 3c compound in 2.8 is not in anyway more heavy than the 2.6 or 2.4 rekon I also use. Yes. So very light trail tyres. I use mine all year round so they are good for a wide variety of stuff. A very balanced tyre for the type of riding I do. Anyways it's a good place to start to judge if you need more burly or faster tyres. Take some time to dial pressure in and keep it precise. So a good meter is needed. Eg. 0 to 30psi gauge. The need to check pressure often is imo the only real drawback but it's not to be understated. I use 4 psi more in the rear than front 14-18. But that's ofc. all personal.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Hi thank you for the reply. Seems the plus size tyres are getting a bad press online for no reason then!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Congratulations on your new bike purchase -in advance.

Welcome to the riding community. Have fun and enjoy.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DonBilco View Post
    Hi thank you for the reply. Seems the plus size tyres are getting a bad press online for no reason then!
    The 2.8 Rekon is 2.6 anyway and similar to magic Mary or Nobby nic 2.6.

Besides from that. To hell with the press. This year 2.6 is all the rage. So anyway if you get the bike now you are highly modern on that parameter but your wheelsize is so out of date. Lol.

Man. This industry is funny and the reviewers is so predictable. Only been here 10 month but it's crazy how they try to establish what is right for all and yet it changes each year what is so right. Bizarre to say the least.

Enjoy your bike. Mtb is fun and you stay in shape and good health and mood at the same time. Your new bike will get you 100% of the way. Imo I think you did all the good choices that makes it fun. Dropper. Fairly grippy tyres. Modern bike with trail geometry. Solid yet relatively cheap.

Now get someone to ride with.

mtbr member
    I prefer my 29er to my 27.5, and I'm 5'8 1/2" tall.
    The nice thing about a 27.5+ is that it will absorb some of the impact from the trail.

The Titus has room for 2.8" tires and has an Eagle 1x12. SRAM Guide R brakes are decent. I think that would be my choice among the ones you listed. I'd rather have a 29er, personally.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Any 29ers youíd recommend in that price range?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    get your bike, go out have fun

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Got the Merida big trail 700 27.5+. First ride on it today! Seems really good! £1100 in the end. Got the RockShox revelation fork, brakes work very well, good range of gears!

Not 100% sure on the plus size tyres yet, it was very greasy today and they gave a ton of grip but... they almost look to big and I feel they may be bulchy when jumping but will soon see!

First impressions, very good for the price.

Anyone got any tips for getting forks set right?