First mountain bike. Fizik saddle? Easton 0mm offset EC70 seatpost?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

First mountain bike. Fizik saddle? Easton 0mm offset EC70 seatpost?

Hey everyone,

So I took the plunge and purchased a 2016 Norco Revolver 27.3 HT.
    This is my first mountain bike since I was a child. 20+ years.

I've installed an Easton EC70 720mm handlebar and gone with the custom ODI grips.

I was thinking of putting a Fizik saddle on the bike to share the bag or add a bag to, just because it is easy to throw a bag or light or combo onto their saddles cleanly.

I was wondering opinions on the EC70 0mm offset seatpost and possibly which MTB Fizik saddle would compliment my road one. My road one I use on my Cannondale SuperSix EVO is an Antares R3 Carbon Braided.

I was thinking of getting a Fizik Gobi M3.

Any thoughts or suggestions as alternatives?
    I like Enve seatposts but would rather not drop that much $$ on one.

Thanks
    Last edited by dtomilson; 10-12-2016 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Measure your sit bones, important to know what size saddle you need. I needed a 155mm seat, not many choices.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

Sneaker man
    you could try riding the standard stuff before you start changing stuff...

as to the saddle bag want to easily swap from bike to bike is a fine idea, but you don't necessarily have the same things in mtb and road bike saddle bags

saddles, if you like the one on the road bike, you can always run the same model on the mtb

the post... do you need zero offset or do you need some setback? a zero post is useless if you need setback, ec70 is a fine post, i've got an old one on one bike, works great
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Okay, thank you for responding!

I was thinking of going clipless at some point but plan on using the bike for 4 seasons and urban cycling too, so flat/platform pedals sound like what I should be using initially, especially with a lot of stop and go traffic.

Once I move to an area where there are more trails and opportunity to use the bike for what it is designed for, I might switch.
    What's a good flat pedal that won't hinder turns?

To be honest, I haven't even ridden it yet. I just like the flexibility a 0mm setback can offer over a 25mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Measure your sit bones, important to know what size saddle you need. I needed a 155mm seat, not many choices.
    Good point, I'll do just that. Thanks!

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by dtomilson View Post
    Okay, thank you for responding!

To be honest, I haven't even ridden it yet. I just like the flexibility a 0mm setback can offer over a 25mm.
    It's not for flexability, its for fit... you use the post with the setback that give you the right fit. Not point having zero setback if the fit is crap.

However it looks like the bike comes stock with zero offset, so you are just swapping like for like. Sorry thought you were asking post and mentioning the zero offset becasue you were changing the offset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I meant flexibility in options. I was fit with a 25mm setback seatpost and it affected my cockpit on my roadbike something awful. My knee would get sore. Once I put in a 0mm I was able to move a little more further up and ride far more comfortably.

I was just thinking of the more play I would have in where my cockpit was and pedals below me in the long run. I'm 6'5", I figured the XL was the right size. :P

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by dtomilson View Post
    I meant flexibility in options. I was fit with a 25mm setback seatpost and it affected my cockpit on my roadbike something awful. My knee would get sore. Once I put in a 0mm I was able to move a little more further up and ride far more comfortably.

I was just thinking of the more play I would have in where my cockpit was and pedals below me in the long run. I'm 6'5", I figured the XL was the right size. :P
    Ha yeah I knew you meant flexability in optons, and I meant there is no flexability, you need the post where you need it, ie on you road bike you need zero offset, setback is bad.
    But like I said, looks like your bike comes with a zero post, so its no issue...unless you find it isn't enough room..then you buy a setback (if you can get enough seat rail movement). Options is a dropper post, that'll give you heaps of options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Ha yeah I knew you meant flexability in optons, and I meant there is no flexability, you need the post where you need it, ie on you road bike you need zero offset, setback is bad.
    But like I said, looks like your bike comes with a zero post, so its no issue...unless you find it isn't enough room..then you buy a setback (if you can get enough seat rail movement). Options is a dropper post, that'll give you heaps of options.
    You sound like you know a lot about this stuff!

Umm, so I don't plan on doing anything much like Red Bull guys but it would be fun to rip into trails at like 30-40KM /hr and DH at whatever the thing can do.

Do you think I need to make any real changes out of the box from this bike then?

I've done the bars already. Are the brakes weak?

I appreciate the feedback.

Sneaker man
    I don't know if I know much about anything, but your post all depends on the geo of the frame and the geo of the person. When I did my last fit for my road bike,they gave me a very different fit and it was mostly horrible with a way low seat, but one thing I did get was they moved my seat well forwad on the setback post and that was good. Made me realise that I had a couple of bikes that felt very long and they had setbacks on them and one that was very short...with a zero.Some post buying and swapping and things worked out much better. Over the years I'd bought a few posts and new there was setback and zero, but hadn't really thought about it at all, just bought whatever was either cost effective or what i thought was cool. Made me realise that they make them for a reason. You can do a fair bit with moving the seat on the rails, but if you are at either end of the range than something else is probably better.

Brake, tekros arn't a bad brand (assuming here looking at norco site), but they are more at the budget end, really best thing to do is ride the bike, find trails you like to ride, have fun, push the bike and yourself, find more trails and see how things work. If you find the brakes arn't up to it, upgrade, if the tyres aren't suited to the train you ride, find something else. Try the seat at different heights. If you find your feet come off the pedals, try sticky shoes like 510's and more aggressive pedals. If thats no good, try clipless (or go straight to them if you use those on the road).

Best thing is just to ride it and see what you think could make it better. Buying stuff and upgrade-itis is cool and fun, but you gotta figure out what you need.
    eg most people on here will swear by a dropper as the most important thing to have, me, I'm meh about them, to me suspension lockout is more important (nothing against droppers), but thats like $$$ I could have spent to find that out. But then going tubeless didn't cost me (much of) anything, so if it's not setup tubeless you can try that.