In the final stages of getting a new bike. Narrowed down to two bikes finally!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

In the final stages of getting a new bike. Narrowed down to two bikes finally!

SCOTT Sports - SCOTT Scale 760 Bike

Talon 27.5 1 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

They are both going for 1,299.99 at two different LBS in my area, so I need some opinions! I've test road both bikes a little so far. I was kinda hungover the day I tested the Scott lol so I'm going back there this week to test it. I felt like the Giant had better overall geo for me and I think I liked the stand over clearance of the Talon. Has about an inch less than the Scott. I'm only 5'8" with a inseam of maybe 30". I did feel a little cooped up on the Scott though. This will be my XC/AM Trail bike and would like to be able to enjoy the downhills as much as possible and tight turns. And I'm stretching my budget for the better forks than the grade down in both brands.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just to help you out further, the Trek Superfly 15.5 will be 27.5 for 2015. I find the geo of the current bike turns as fast as I want. You could test a 2014 too. Discounts start at the weekend at some shops.

I ride bikes
    Those are both squarely XC bikes. If I wanted a "do it all hardtail" I would look for something else. You seem to be focused on the downhill which would lead me to look for a Marin Rocky Ridge 7.4 which are closing out for about the same price and have better specs. Or something similar. Slack HA, short stays, more travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Just to help you out further, the Trek Superfly 15.5 will be 27.5 for 2015. I find the geo of the current bike turns as fast as I want. You could test a 2014 too. Discounts start at the weekend at some shops.
    We do have a Trek dealer in the area, so I will try and see if they have a good deal on that one. They had a pretty limited supply of bikes when I checked there the weekend before last.

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Those are both squarely XC bikes. If I wanted a "do it all hardtail" I would look for something else. You seem to be focused on the downhill which would lead me to look for a Marin Rocky Ridge 7.4 which are closing out for about the same price and have better specs. Or something similar. Slack HA, short stays, more travel.
    I like the look of that Marin! Unfortunately, my area doesn't have a dealer :/ I'll look for something online, but I'm pretty hesitant to purchase online.

Update: Yeah, nothing at the Trek dealer either. And I'm really can't spend 1500 right now. There's not a lot of REAL serious downhills near me anyways I guess.
    Last edited by WingZero; 08-25-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WingZero View Post
    We do have a Trek dealer in the area, so I will try and see if they have a good deal on that one. They had a pretty limited supply of bikes when I checked there the weekend before last.
    Update: Yeah, nothing at the Trek dealer either. And I'm really can't spend 1500 right now.
    1.Get them to check supply with Trek.
    2.Cash talking to a manager is the only way to get a discount. Regular salespeople are not allowed to discount under the "floor plan" for maximizing profits. Tough to not be able to test ride for sizing because of lack of stock. If that was somehow resolved by testing without regard to version, 35% is the max discount on expiring years models...including those your shop would order from the stock Trek has on hand. 2 out of 6 of the 8 dealers within 50 miles of me were willing to work with me on my purchase of a current year bike at a 20% discount.