mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Feeling cramped on a Jekyll XL

My buddy picked up an stock XL Jekyll. I love everything about the bike but it seems like the bars should more forward. I understand the longer top tube short stem thing but the front of this bike seems really cramped on flats and climbs. I'm currently riding a hardtail airborne griffin size large and I feel this bike has waaaaayyyy more room. I'm in the market for a(more trail less enduro) full suspension bike but I don't want to feel cramped on the bike. Can you guys help me out? I've got my eye on a santa cruz tallboy.

mtbr member
    According to specs, the XL Jekyl has an effective top tube of 66.4 cm and the size L Airborne Griffin's 24.8" (62.9 cm), so..

What's the stem length (I don't recommend going longer)? Check your saddle position; get a KOPS fit on all your bikes and then judge your cockpit. How tall are you?

And yes, you can get a much bigger bike in the Tallboy CC; I own a size XXL and it's terrific with a stubby stem, 62.3 cm in size L, 65.3 cm in XL, 68.8 cm in XXL

Quote Originally Posted by shovelheadjoe View Post
    My buddy picked up an stock XL Jekyll. I love everything about the bike but it seems like the bars should more forward. I understand the longer top tube short stem thing but the front of this bike seems really cramped on flats and climbs. I'm currently riding a hardtail airborne griffin size large and I feel this bike has waaaaayyyy more room. I'm in the market for a(more trail less enduro) full suspension bike but I don't want to feel cramped on the bike. Can you guys help me out? I've got my eye on a santa cruz tallboy.

mtbr member
    Above post says Jeckyl has more room dimensionally. Maybe some bar/seat adjustments would dial it in? Are you sure it's not that the geo is forcing you forward because seat is higher than bars? It's BS but tall geeks have to deal with this...

XL bikes are shipped with fork tubes 'pre-cut' leaving no room for additional spacers under stem. Tall guys also have long legs so this makes it impossible to get a good fit with seat fully extended. It puts excessive weight on hands/bars with seat extended. Potential options are different bars, or riser (or new fork with un-cut steerer).

I'm 6'4" and when I first rode my 2018 Kona Process 153, I noticed right away there was a problem but nothing I could do with adjustments. I finally picked up Renthal Fatbars with 40mm rise to get it right.

Lot's of great bikes to choose from with newer geo and longer reach...but in XL you will likely be faced with same issue no matter which one you get. I was looking at SC TallBoy, Bronson, Canyon Spectral, YT Jeffsy but the Kona 153 dropped in my lap at right price.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    So looking a little closer, the OP's perception vs the reality of the TT lengths in his bikes of choice, I discovered the reason for the perceptual difference.

The Airborne comes with a 80mm stem vs 35mm on the Jekyll. So that changes your pseudo-reach on the Jekyll to 69.9 cm and 70.9 on the Airborne!

So, 1cm larger total cockpit, but the Airborne is a more XC-ish setup with a smaller top tube and longer stem.

As a fellow 6'4" guy (vs getting a new bike) I'd prefer a slightly longer stem on the Jekyll; put a 50mm stem on there and you have a more aggressive, more stable position than the Airborne.

I personally love my XXL sized Tallboy CC, with which I can get a massive reach and still use a stubby stem.

mtbr member
    I'd say Chomxxo has you figured out basically, yur bike has a nearly 2" longer stem, so despite the shorter ET/Reach, it still feels longer. Also add in the fact that your bike is a HT and his an FS and in effect your reach lengthens as your fork sags. I'd suggest you ask your buddy if you could try a longer stem on it to see how it feel, or just reach past the grips to the brake levers.

Knowing your height would also help a lot, because like Sturge said, a lot of complete bikes come with the steerer tube cut short with just enough room for maybe 10mm of spacers for adjustment and short HT, which does not work well for taller rides and will need to be dealt with. I've not bought a complete bike in over 10 years, so not really a problem for me except having to run a bunch of spacers under the stem in most cases as not a fan of high rise bars and when you do that, you then also loose effective reach, so have to compensate with bit longer stem.

With the Tallboy XXL, you definitely will not have a problem of it being too small, but you will need to run the same sort of length stem your friend is, maybe a tad longer, but nowhere near 80mm, guessing 40-50mm.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I'm 6 foot 2 so Santa Cruz recommends an XL. I also come from a BMX background. With the Exception of my Airborne I've always bought smaller sized MTB's because they have felt more like a BMX. I absolutely love the feel of the larger sized Airborne. Now that I'm getting into the FS game and have ridden the Jekyll I'm worried that I'll be cramped on the Santa Cruz Tallboy. There are really no local shops that I can demo one of these bikes so I'm using this forum to make the best decision for me. I appreciate the help.