syc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Fast, fat 650b road slick

I don't know if Kirk mentioned it here, but he is trying to get enough pre-orders for a 650x38 road slick: http://tinyurl.com/pari-moto

Based on how these sorts of tires perform on roll downs, and what Kirk has said about his design goals, this tire should roll better than a lot (if not most) of skinny 700c roadie tires. And it should be wide enough for light trail riding as well.

If you're interested, please send Kirk a deposit. We need to get 200 pairs ordered, at which point it will cover the cost of production for Kirk. If he doesn't get enough orders, the checks get returned.
    Here's the status page with the current orders: http://tinyurl.com/pari-moto-status

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm not part of the segment that can afford throwing my money down on this sort of purchase. I really like my fatty rumpkins, but am certainly interested in whatever KP develops, but I'll not be throwing down money on such a thing until later at best. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Wonder what is the weight of this tire? Will it be lighter or heaviler than Fatty Rumpkins (FYI 460g) .
    Is the sidewall tan-skin or carbon black?
    When it's time to go, is time to go.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiatkiat
    Wonder what is the weight of this tire? Will it be lighter or heaviler than Fatty Rumpkins (FYI 460g) .
    Is the sidewall tan-skin or carbon black?
    Kirk mentioned on the 650b list that it would be tan sidewalled. I'm sure it will be much lighter than the fattyR--it's intended as a fast road slick, similar to the offerings from Grand Bois.

It's going to be a great tire for roads both dirt and paved, railtrails, mild dirt trails--the sort of bikes like my Rivendell 650b'd Saluki! Great, fast commuter tire if you have a bike that you can convert or adapt to the wheelsize. I've ordered a set...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A slick MTB tire with a wider width like the Grand Bois Hetre. Perhaps up to 60mm, as wide as can fit the frame. It can be offered in two sizes. The road tire Kirk is working on would be a substitute for the Panaracer Col De La Vie. That's already a good 650B road tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanF
    A slick MTB tire with a wider width like the Grand Bois Hetre. Perhaps up to 60mm, as wide as can fit the frame. It can be offered in two sizes. The road tire Kirk is working on would be a substitute for the Panaracer Col De La Vie. That's already a good 650B road tire.

Kirk's tire will be more like a slightly smaller Hetre (3-4mm) than the CdLV--it will be a fine file tread, light weight fast road tire whereas the CdLV is an incised tread, multi-use tire. Kirk's new tire should be considerably lighter and faster.

Still a couple of days to pre-order them--the more orders he has, the easier it will be for Kirk to go ahead and have them made!

http://www.bikelugs.com/store/index....&intItemID=137

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How far along has It progressed? I can't get that page to come up and I think I might like to get on the list if it is going to happen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timsmcm
    How far along has It progressed? I can't get that page to come up and I think I might like to get on the list if it is going to happen
    Last time I checked he was nearly halfway to his stated goal of 200 but I hope/believe that if he get sufficiently close he will go ahead and do it. Whether it happens is dependent on how many people pre-commit, so if you want to see it happen, go ahead and order a pair. (He hasn't charged my card yet, so I assume he's not doing so until he actually decides to go ahead with the project.)

You can't get the order page I linked to come up? Go to bikelugs.com and select 650b components--it's the "Pari-Moto."

Members who have read this thread: 0