Evil Calling vs SBG Scout?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Evil Calling vs SBG Scout?

Anyone ridden the SBG Scout and an Evil Calling? I've owned 4 transitions - '15 Scout medium, '15 Suppressor medium, then went to a '17 Scout large and then '18 Scout large. I'm 5'10.5. I'm not loving the sizing on the 18 Scout. I found some pre-SBG Scout vs Calling reviews, which all favored the Calling. But I'd definitely take the '18 Scout over the '17 even.

I also loved the 2015s and regret selling my Suppressor (Scout was stolen). They were slightly small, though, which is why I sized up on the '17. That bike feels slightly large, and the '18 is even longer and less snappy w/ the extra travel (and even heavier), though SBG feels awesome and makes up for the downsides IMO.

I probably should have tried a medium SBG Scout. But I didn't and now there aren't any used or new I can find.

Evil's sizing seems a better fit (at least, on paper) for my in between size on TR but the only time I rode one was a demo a year ago on a Calling-- remember liking it a lot but I was using the demo as a rental, so I wasn't paying all that much attention

I'm in Bellingham and Evil is four blocks away. But neither Fanatik nor Evil have a Calling I can demo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Anyone ridden the SBG Scout and an Evil Calling? I've owned 4 transitions - '15 Scout medium, '15 Suppressor medium, then went to a '17 Scout large and then '18 Scout large. I'm 5'10.5. I'm not loving the sizing on the 18 Scout. I found some pre-SBG Scout vs Calling reviews, which all favored the Calling. But I'd definitely take the '18 Scout over the '17 even.

I also loved the 2015s and regret selling my Suppressor (Scout was stolen). They were slightly small, though, which is why I sized up on the '17. That bike feels slightly large, and the '18 is even longer and less snappy w/ the extra travel (and even heavier), though SBG feels awesome and makes up for the downsides IMO.

I probably should have tried a medium SBG Scout. But I didn't and now there aren't any used or new I can find.

Evil's sizing seems a better fit (at least, on paper) for my in between size on TR but the only time I rode one was a demo a year ago on a Calling-- remember liking it a lot but I was using the demo as a rental, so I wasn't paying all that much attention

I'm in Bellingham and Evil is four blocks away. But neither Fanatik nor Evil have a Calling I can demo.
    I'm the same height on a Medium Calling. I love the bike. If I had to do it today thought, I would probably go up a size and slide the seat forward to get a little steeper STA. I've been on a Large SBG Scout and it felt really big. And Large Calling are in stock at Evil at a 40% discount right now.

Transition is really inconsistent with their fit between models for me. I have a large SBG Patrol with a short stem and it fits great. A Large Sentinel is too big and a Medium is too short a TT for me, but fine in Reach. I wish they would be consistent because their bikes are really great. Of course, I may get my wish and find out that they pick that middle ground which doesn't work for me, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for the new models.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yeh the Callings are on fire sale everywhere hence my sudden interest I shop in the off season. Not gonna wait for new gear in the Spring and pay top dollar when I can pay almost half now

Interesting to hear about the inconsistency - I had the same feel on both 2015 TRs, a bit dirt jumperish going down, just a tad cramped riding up.

Reach on large Scout, Patrol, and Sentinel are consistently 475mm; each size changes it by 25mm.
    Stack 617, 614, 626. Only the Sentinel is noticeably different, I guess cuz of the wagon wheels.
    FWIW effective TT are respectively 632, 611, 622 but I don't understand geo variation enough to know how much effective TT matters for seated position.

Scout has a slacker seat tube angle than the other two bikes (by kinda a lot). The Calling is even slacker (depending on low or x-low setting).

On Calling med and lrg:
    Reach 440 and 457mm
    Stack 601 and 613
    E. TT are 603 and 624

I rode a medium Sentinel briefly while doing trail work and it felt spot on so I assumed medium Scout probably would have been a better fit, but maybe not... (can't stand 29er wheels otherwise I might go that route). The large SBG Scout feels like a limo (a great handling one but...).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    So after some more reading on sizing, few things to summarize:
    1) https://geometrygeeks.bike/
    Can quickly compare bike geometry among different models and sizes

2) Look at ETT for sitting comfort and reach for standing comfort. I already know the 585 ETT of the '15 medium Suppressor was too short and 632 of the large '18 feels long. For reach, the Suppressor's 432 feels great and the '17s 457 is on the long end. The '18s 475 feels too big; I think with SBG especially you want to get you weight over the front, but the bike feels too long for that (I've recently added more spacers to get the bars closer to me and like that change).

Looking at a handful of bikes/sizes in a table on geometrygeeks, if I want ETT in the middle of 585-632 and a reach between 430-457, the best fit are the medium SBG Scout and medium Calling. The large Calling is about the same as my '17 Scout.

3) A post by @tdc_worm on MTBR uses what he calls an "ape index" to decide on sizing up or down. Some people have shorter torsos (and can size up) or longer torsos (and can size down). I've got a negative ape index, so probably the original decision to size up was not a good one.

4) Then there's intended use. Taking a guess here... I run into Evil folks at the pump track/dirt jumps often and Transition employees almost never. Your average dirt jump bike is much shorter than an MTB. If you ride an average DJ you get used to a short bike. Note Transition's PBJ DJ is very long for a DJ, like a DJ designed for mountain bikers. When I spoke with TR they always recommended sizing up. Guess that's just their style.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I demoed a Revel Rail medium from Fanatik. This bike has an ETT right in the middle between Evil and Transition's M and L sizing. Reach is 450mm, same as TR medium. The seat angle is .5 deg slacker than TR. It fit just fine. I had to move the seat half an inch forward to keep the front from lifting during steep climbs. Had a lot more fun going down hill on this size. I'll go into TR and do a parking lot ride of a medium Scout.