east coast do it all bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

east coast do it all bike

I ride classic east coast single track with small drops and jumps. I don't go big but do have 3-4 ft drops to flat and 10 ft. Doubles on our trails. Technical clinmbs that are not long.

155 lbs. 40+ year old rider.

I am on an intense recluse now that I am not thrilled about because of the mushy boo midstroke and it's harsh off the top. Seat tube too long, annoying pedal kickback, have to run too low air pressure on shock so that rocky descents don't beat me up.

I am lookingt a guerrilla gravity megatrail or revel rail, anyone that has ridden both and can share insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

dmo
    mtbr member
    I saw a guy riding a Rail in Billerica. He seemed really stoked on it. Looks like a great bike for east coast trails

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jmvar View Post
    I ride classic east coast single track with small drops and jumps. I don't go big but do have 3-4 ft drops to flat and 10 ft. Doubles on our trails. Technical clinmbs that are not long.

I am on an intense recluse now that I am not thrilled about because of the mushy boo midstroke and it's harsh off the top. Seat tube too long, annoying pedal kickback, have to run too low air pressure on shock so that rocky descents don't beat me up.

I am lookingt a guerrilla gravity megatrail or revel rail, anyone that has ridden both and can share insights would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I ride a bike with the CFB suspension like the Rail. Its been the best bike for technical climbing and very plush downhill. Very efficient without any kickback. I ride trails from PA to WNC. Mostly NWMD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The new Canfield Balance with a 170 fork unless you are like 6'3". The frames are stout, well made and well priced.
    If you run it stock and still find the bike too big after, like a bit too log travel and slack. Run it with a 160mm airshaft, and an airshock set a 62.5 stroke like a topaz and exo type casing tires.

It's such a great bike and does so well in tech. I have mine beefed up front fork and run it in bike parks and shuttles and secondary trail rides where I don't want to bring multiple bikes to the same few day trip. I really don't mind pedaling it though and could see value in a lighter air setup as a one bike.

mtbr member
    I would think something more like the 5010 would be better suited. It should be more supportive feeling than a longer travel bike while being nearly as comfortable off the top. It will also handle the riding you described really well. If the speed were higher (bike park, long descents) then I'd look for something with longer travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I ride Maryland/Pa/WVA/VA singletrack with the same terrain you described. I have had a ton of bikes. Since release have had a Ripley 4 with 5 setups.

1) Fox 34 Factory with Factory DPS
    2) The above modified by Avalanche
    3) Formula Selva R fork, Avalanche DPS
    4) Formula Selva R fork, EXT Storia v3
    5) EXT ERA fork, EXT Storia v3.

Each was able to handle anything you describe.

Formula fork with the blue CTS was a game changer. Storia was the next game changer.

EXT ERA was the icing on the cake.

The Rascal is great too but I havenít ridden myself. A friend really likes it, but feedback I get says the PUSH works great on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Thanks
    So it looks like you are riding in the Frederick Watershed, which is where Cerberus and I ride as well. I tend to stay off the drop and jump trails but I believe Cerberus rides that stuff, so I'd pay attention to Cerberus's recommendation. One person that I know that hits those trails pretty aggressively is riding a YT Capra. I love my 2018 SC Hightower for riding up there on everything but the freeride/drop trails, but I doubt it is best for that stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    So it looks like you are riding in the Frederick Watershed, which is where Cerberus and I ride as well. I tend to stay off the drop and jump trails but I believe Cerberus rides that stuff, so I'd pay attention to Cerberus's recommendation. One person that I know that hits those trails pretty aggressively is riding a YT Capra. I love my 2018 SC Hightower for riding up there on everything but the freeride/drop trails, but I doubt it is best for that stuff.
    The High Tower is a great Shed bike honestly. You don't really want the Wheelbase that comes with long travel bikes these days.my bike is 140/160mm and does great
    The Rail is more bike for 90% of the Shed than most people need. And too much for anything else in MD to be honest, but it pedals well and is light if its an only bike... I'm about to get a bigger travel bike for the big stuff in the Shed and WNC. And reduce the travel on my bike to 130/150. Nothing wrong with having a little extra as you get older though. Im 45 and lyme Disease and power lifting has taken its toll on me. But most of MD can be done on a 120mm bike. OP Gorilla Gravity makes great bikes but the tend to ride firm. Great for jumps and its part of the peddling efficiency in the design. IMHO You would do better with a multi link bike like the Revel, Ibis or Pivot. Canfield is great if you don't mind aluminum bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I ride Maryland/Pa/WVA/VA singletrack with the same terrain you described. I have had a ton of bikes. Since release have had a Ripley 4 with 5 setups.

1) Fox 34 Factory with Factory DPS
    2) The above modified by Avalanche
    3) Formula Selva R fork, Avalanche DPS
    4) Formula Selva R fork, EXT Storia v3
    5) EXT ERA fork, EXT Storia v3.

Each was able to handle anything you describe.

Formula fork with the blue CTS was a game changer. Storia was the next game changer.

EXT ERA was the icing on the cake.

The Rascal is great too but I havenít ridden myself. A friend really likes it, but feedback I get says the PUSH works great on it.

The Rascal is nice, and IMHO better suited. Both bikes he mentioned are 27.5 so that may be his preference. I think most East Coast trails are better on a 29er with the Wheelbase that isn't too long.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    The Rascal is nice, and IMHO better suited. Both bikes he mentioned are 27.5 so that may be his preference. I think most East Coast trails are better on a 29er with the Wheelbase that isn't too long.
    My point regarding the Ripley is to show that numerous bikes can work if they are set up correctly. Clearly the EXT stuff not common and not needed but makes a 120mm bike very capable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    The High Tower is a great Shed bike honestly.
    When my friends were shopping for bikes I told all of them that the 2018/2019 Hightower was the bike to get for our area. It's not too long and its not too low. As my daily driver for the Shed and Michaux I've been really happy with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    My point regarding the Ripley is to show that numerous bikes can work if they are set up correctly. Clearly the EXT stuff not common and not needed but makes a 120mm bike very capable.

A little off-topic, but I saw in a different thread that you are on the wait list for the Esker Rowl. I'm going to be really curious how that bike works for you. We are getting ready to close on a house outside of Whitefish where Esker is located, so I have a soft spot for Esker and their bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    A little off-topic, but I saw in a different thread that you are on the wait list for the Esker Rowl. I'm going to be really curious how that bike works for you. We are getting ready to close on a house outside of Whitefish where Esker is located, so I have a soft spot for Esker and their bikes.
    Yeah I would like to give the Rowl a try. Unfortunately they wonít have more frames for a while.

mtbr member

Thanks
    LOL! I started reading your post and immediately began thinking that a Megatrail would be awesome.

I'm sorry but I haven't ridden a Rail or the newest carbon Megatrail. However, I have an older aluminum Megatrail and it just eats the sort of terrain that you're describing. The mid-stroke is great and it's quite snappy for having so much travel. I really, really love my Megatrail and so am quite biased here.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    I ride a Trek Full Stache 8, on the East Coast of NZ

The happy to do anything steed

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    5010 w/2.6 tires