mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Do I have a L or XL Trek Top Fuel 69er ?

Just purchased a used Trek Top Fuel 69er frame. I measured the center of BB to top of seat post tube and have 19.5", HT is 5" and actual TT is 24.25" . I can't find geo spec's anywhere. Trek lists a 19.5" as a large, 21.5" as an XL. Any idea what I have ? Thanks.
    Last edited by keen; 11-10-2009 at 09:25 PM.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    If the ACTUAL measurement is 19.5" (and I think you mean the seat tube, not the seat post), then it's an XL. The large is a "virtual" size 19.5 with an ACTUAL seat tube length of something like 17.5".
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 40hills
    If the ACTUAL measurement is 19.5" (and I think you mean the seat tube, not the seat post), then it's an XL. The large is a "virtual" size 19.5 with an ACTUAL seat tube length of something like 17.5".
    Thanks, corrected my post. Never heard of a virtual seat tube measurment ??? Seems like a short length for an XL frame .

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Thanks, corrected my post. Never heard of a virtual seat tube measurment ??? Seems like a short length for an XL frame .
    Because of the way that frame is designed with the very steep top tube, Trek used a "virtual" sizing method to prevent confusion What this means is that the frame they "call" a 19.5" is most similar to other 19.5" size frames you might compare it to, but due to the steep top tube, the actual seat tube length isn't 19.5", it's more like 17.5"-18". Thus, each size has an actual dimension and a virtual dimension. Sooooo, if you measured an ACTUAL 19.5", then you have the XL "21.5" frame. Got that?

and here you have the geometry chart... the frame sizes are the VIRTUAL... the virtual vs actual are as follows:
    S/15.5/14.8
    M/17.5/15.8
    L/19.5/17.8
    XL/21.5/19.3
    Do I have a L or XL Trek Top Fuel 69er ?-trek_geo_topfuel69er_08_f.gif

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    40HILLS...Has it right,as I learned the hard way and purchased a blue custom color 69er in size med. and I need to be on a large....heres some photos with a ruler to show the acutal measuement....
    I may put my med. up for sale as I feel a large may be a better fit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do I have a L or XL Trek Top Fuel 69er ?-mtbr-007.jpg  

Do I have a L or XL Trek Top Fuel 69er ?-mtbr-008.jpg  

Do I have a L or XL Trek Top Fuel 69er ?-mtbr-009.jpg  

mtbr member
    Are those 4" travel machines?

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCAT
    40HILLS...Has it right,as I learned the hard way and purchased a blue custom color 69er in size med. and I need to be on a large....heres some photos with a ruler to show the acutal measuement....
    I may put my med. up for sale as I feel a large may be a better fit
    I think I saw that for sale on eBay or wherever... it looks nice and I even wondered if a M would fit me better than a L. How tall are you... maybe we can swap???

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 40hills
    I think I saw that for sale on eBay or wherever... it looks nice and I even wondered if a M would fit me better than a L. How tall are you... maybe we can swap???
    Hi..Yes,I bought the 69er a few months ago....I'm 5 11,and like a long top tube.The frame has its share of cosmetic markings,no dents or dings....everything funtions to spec.

Members who have read this thread: 0