mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Custom 69er Geometry

I'm seriously considering having a 69er custom built.

I'm looking for the general handling qualities of my 26" Wheel Cotic Soul, with the benefits of the 29" front wheel on my old On One Scandal. I've spoken to a few custom frame builders and basically come up with a design which has a Cotic rear end and an On One front end...

I'm fairly confident that it should work out ok but I'm looking for some encouragement before I commit serious money. Any comments?

Also, anyone know why Carver and I think Trek use a 70deg Head Angle?

Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    In your BikeCAD design - are you sure you set your front wheel to 29er diameter? If so, then just check the trail figure by plugging in the right fork dimensions, including offset, and playing around with head tube angles. Match that up with what the figures on your ScandAL 29er are and you should be good to go I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Not sure what happened there, new picture with the correct wheel sizes below.

Fork specs are for a 80mm F29 44mm offset and 481mm a to c with a little bit of sag.

mtbr member
    Do you need/want a 74 degree ST angle with the 26" rear wheel? Something to check on - have a look see at Carver and Trek Stock 69er geometry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Go with your gut feelings and you won't be disappointed. I went with a 650 in the rear and have been riding the 96fitty for a week now and couldn't be happier. Here is my design and reasons for doing it. I backed off the 72 HA some. It was just too steep for what I ride.
    http://gardenandtractor.blogspot.com...7/96fitty.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a custom 69er being built by paul sadoff. 120mm F29 fork (2010)
    Aherns yokes and sliders for drop outs. it will Be a 1x9. I can't wait to go bomb some trails. I will get it sometime between 8/20/09 and 9/1/09. I'll be posting some picks when it is built. The frame might even preview on his blog when its back from the painter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Has this bike been built? It would be great to see some pics!!!!

Please?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Not got round to it yet, change of circumstances, family commitments etc. etc. maybe one day.......

Members who have read this thread: 1