mtbr member

Could use some advice

I've decided to put a 650b up front on my '09 Anthem X2. I'm 220 lbs without gear......

1. I'm going to replace the lowers on my Fox 100 RL to get the 15mmQR. Should I wait and see if Fox releases the 650b specific lowers?... or would those lowers even work with my current fork?

2. I would appreciate suggestions on a complete wheel, or rim/hub combo. I'm trying to get something stiff, and as light as I dare.... or at least suggestions on what to stay away from, being that I'm 220. I would also like to run tubeless, if that matters in the equation.

3. Where to buy suggested wheel would be bonus.

I've never upgraded wheels before... so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think only Fox could answer your first question. But if it were me I would just go with the 26" lowers rather than waiting for the 650b to come out. They have plenty of clearance for 650b so it isn't really an issue.

Your riding style and terrain is going to play a big part in what rims you want. Do you jump, do drop offs etc. I am 190lbs and I ride XC with no jumps or drops. I find Stans Crest rims to be plenty strong and stiff enough for my tastes. But I don't think they would stand up to a lot of wheels off the ground type of riding. Universal Cycles and Prowheelbuilder are my favorite places to use for building wheels, although I built my last one myself.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    I think only Fox could answer your first question. But if it were me I would just go with the 26" lowers rather than waiting for the 650b to come out. They have plenty of clearance for 650b so it isn't really an issue.
    I just didn't want to have one of those - "wish I would have waited" situations.

Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Your riding style and terrain is going to play a big part in what rims you want. Do you jump, do drop offs etc. I am 190lbs and I ride XC with no jumps or drops. I find Stans Crest rims to be plenty strong and stiff enough for my tastes. But I don't think they would stand up to a lot of wheels off the ground type of riding. Universal Cycles and Prowheelbuilder are my favorite places to use for building wheels, although I built my last one myself.
    I guess I would describe it as rough XC/ trail, with a few small ledges and small jumps, and some rock gardens... no big deal really, other than my 220 lbs.

thanks much for the input.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I guess I would describe it as rough XC/ trail, with a few small ledges and small jumps, and some rock gardens... no big deal really, other than my 220 lbs..
    Check Stan's custom wheels:

I would think at least Arch, maybe Flow rims for your weight and intended use.

Crest not an really a good option
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Thanks dwt. The Arch EX doesn't appear to come in 650b (wrong?), but it's description sounds pretty spot on. As described, the Flow is probably overkill, and heavier than what I was thinking I wanted/needed.

Others? stiff and light-ish... for 220lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Pacenti TL28 sounds ideal. Just stick with your current lowers at the moment. I doubt you will notice any difference in stiffness on a 26" 100mm fork. By the time the 650b forks come along you'll probably be on another bike anyway.As long as you use something like a Hope pro 2 hub, swapping from 9 to 15QR is a 2 sec job. You can also try a DT swiss 9mm through axle[ shimano is 6mm]. Hope do 9mm adaptors as well.

mtbr member
    You will be altering the geometry of your bike (slackening the head angle by only raising the front end) this is something to consider as it changes your steering characteristics and handling.

Opinion: at 220 you should be looking for Fox 36 forks with 20mm thru axle. *Maybe get a 36 TALAS fork so you can play with fonrt height (the angles) in this asymmetric configuration.

Velocity 'Blunt' rims have been fine for trail use and light FR under my 250 lbs for two years now and they are light for what they are (28mm and strong).

Members who have read this thread: 0