mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Could it be this simple?

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile because the bigger wheeled bikes really suit my riding/racing style. I ride a HT 29er and a FS 29er (Lentz Leviathan) and I love them. I also own an 05 FSR Stumpjumper that is a great bike. I've looked into converting it to a 650B, but the fit just doesn't look possible, which seems to be the issue with a lot of folks. So here is my question, with all the interest in the performance of a 650B, and clearance such a great issue, why not just mount 650B wheels on a 29er frame and fork? Thus no more clearance problems. and there are plenty of 29er frames and forks on the market. If this is a stupid question you may chastise me severely.

Is the real issue just fitting 650Bs on existing frames/forks (like I would have done on my Stumpjumper)? That seems unlikely in most cases.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.
    I've been lurking on this forum for awhile because the bigger wheeled bikes really suit my riding/racing style. I ride a HT 29er and a FS 29er (Lentz Leviathan) and I love them. I also own an 05 FSR Stumpjumper that is a great bike. I've looked into converting it to a 650B, but the fit just doesn't look possible, which seems to be the issue with a lot of folks. So here is my question, with all the interest in the performance of a 650B, and clearance such a great issue, why not just mount 650B wheels on a 29er frame and fork? Thus no more clearance problems. and there are plenty of 29er frames and forks on the market. If this is a stupid question you may chastise me severely.

Is the real issue just fitting 650Bs on existing frames/forks (like I would have done on my Stumpjumper)? That seems unlikely in most cases.

The BB would end up too low...

mtbr member
    yeah for most if not all 29ers the bb would be pretty low.

nothing relevant to say
    You're also keeping an extra long wheelbase. I tried it on my Soul Dillinger, and haven't really enjoyed the results. Moving up from a 26" frame works much better.
    My Soul didnt have a low BB afterwards, BUT i is equipped with a EBB, which I rotated to the highest position to achieve a 12.125" BB height.
    http://650bpalace.blogspot.com/2007/...nice-brew.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Hmmm.....

That all makes sense, I didn't think of the longer wheelbase isssus. I just did some quick approx. measurements, SJ (26) BB clearance 12.25" and whealbase (QR to QR) 43.25" ; Lentz Lev (29 FS) BB clearance 13" and wheeelbase 44" ; Soma Juice (29 HT) BB clearance 12.75" and wheelbase 44" I run all three of these bikes 2X9 with a bashguard, allowing more clearance advantages. I don't know if there are shorter 29er wheelbase frames, or if a 2X9 setup would be enough to help with clearance. What I do know is that larger tires fit my riding style (long and fast XC) very well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You could run 100mm travel on say a Reba, with a 650B bit of a waste on the longer fork with huge clearance mind, but it'd keep the angles the same as a 145mm ish fork rather than a 160mm fork.

Personally, 80mm Reba + 29" wheel still.

Members who have read this thread: 0