Thread: A Conundrum

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. A Conundrum

Prolly just confuse others as well as myself, but here goes...

...do you think a 69/96/55er turns better than a short chain stay 29er?

Might be deeper than an old whore, lots of parameters here, but just your general feelings.

TIA

mtbr member
    define short.

Moderator Moderator

Define "better"

"Short"? "Better"? I'm not sure how that question could be more subjective and ambiguous!

-Walt

Recovering couch patato
    I found a 29"er with extra long CS's (horizontals maxed out) to corner as on rails. Eery.
    Not a lot of control, and the front wheel was planted like heck, I could not flick it up as easily as usual.
    You need a bit more curb margin on the front when cornering a longer bike of course. In tight corners you may just touch the root you would otherwise just miss.
    For a high-speed, 90 corner, a long bike with big wheels IMO is the ticket. Best apex speed. The smaller the wheels and shorter the CS, the more I'll feather the rear brake to get it to turn in. I'm a bit of an odd rider that way, but it works for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would think that wheelbase length would be more important rather than chainstay length.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Short as in...

EWR, Canfield, Orgin-8
    ... turning off the rear wheel...

...tight, flickable, flip turn!

NOT THIS!
    "Old School 29er"
    now deemed a New phrase!

mtbr member
    Too bad you don't live near me.

We have a shop that has on the floor the following bikes:

A) Canfield Yelli Screamy (not steel but still shortish stays for a 29er)

B) Jamis Dragon 650 with a 120mm Loop fork up front

You could then take those two out for some short test rides to see which one you prefer.

Regarding a mixed wheel size bike being quicker - a lot of that depends on the fork up front just as much as the rear wheel size and chainstay length. Put a mixed wheelsize bike together with a fork that is too tall and you may get quick rear wheel action, but a really slow and sluggish and floppy front end (combine those two and that doesn't sound like such a hot combination).

Now done right with the right fork up front Mixed Wheelsize bikes can be a helluva lotta fun! :thumb:

I think there is a forum member riding a 650b/29er EWR that seems to be producing many grins on that rider's face. I can't remember the name of the mtbr.com member with that bike but I bet if you do some digging you can find it.

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've got seven rideable bikes at the moment. Most fun bike bike I have is a 2009 Marin Mount vision set up B6. Short wheelbase[ 1110mm] plus short chainstays[419] and the magic 650B 69 degree head angle.It could also be a product of the suspension, but with 650b up front, the rear tucks in and it is great in both tight or sweeping corners. My Trance x has same head angle, an 1"longer wheelbase and longer chainstays [435]. To my mind it misses the mark on handling. It needs the 650B front wheel to prevent the longer chain stays from pushing the front too much and causing understeer. The chain stay, wheelbase and head angle just doesn't work as well as the Mount Vision. it works better as a 26" with a longer fork giving a slacker angle and longer wheelbase.
    I also have a Anthem X 29er with the infamous very long chain stays. Surprisingly it works pretty well in the cornering department. I think the head angle and 29er wheel balance the long chain stay. It needs a bit of muscle in the slower stuff, and is more a carver , but has a good cornering balance at all speeds. It would be ponderous if any slacker.Any steeper and the rear may feel like a trailer.
    I've got a Scott scale 29er. it also feels pretty balanced but it has shortish chainstays and slacker head angle and similar wheelbase. Unfortunately being a hard tail it's hard to draw a direct comparison[ suspension is such a big part of cornering balance]. It's quicker in the steering and feels like it wants to tuck in and exit fast but the mount Vision still exits faster and much more fun. Less work on the arms as well.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 01-20-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0