Considering a Scratch Project...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Considering a Scratch Project...

I've been considering doing a scratch build for quite some time. I currently have a 2019 Ibis DV9 and a 2018 Orbea Loki, both HTs with different attitudes. I was thinking of going with either a burly CF HT like the Sync'r (unfortunately, I'd have to buy it as a full build, strip it sell the parts and then I can work on the frame) not too keen on having to buy a full bike to do a scratch build or finally "moving up" to a FS frame.

So, I was thinking of a trail focus mid-travel sort of setup. I haven't done an extensive search for other HTs (I'm not limiting myself to just the Sync'r CF) and since I'm in Miami, FL an all mountain setup isn't really needed here since we don't have anything that hardcore besides markham park which in turn is nothing compared to other places.

For FS, I'm considering these frames;

Evil Calling
    Evil Insurgent LB

Ibis Mojo 3
    Ibis Mojo HD4

Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB140

Canyon Spectral

Pivot Trail 429
    Pivot Mach 5.5

SC Bronson
    SC 5010

As for HTs;

SC Chameleon Alum or CF

DB Sync'r CF

If you guys have any suggestions on a frame-only non-xc HT lmk.
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

Shartacular Spectacular
    I’ll speak on the FS category. Based on how you have described your terrain (very different than my own in the NE) as much as I absolutely love me a big helping of SC Bronson or any other similar bike in that class. I think y’d be best suited by an SC Tallboy or—probably even overkill— SC 5010. Similarly, the calling or mojo 3 seem fun or more than enough for your typical terrain.

Most other bikes you’ve listed will likely be extreme overkill unless you plan on doing some traveling.
    The 18’ SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    I’ll speak on the FS category. Based on how you have described your terrain (very different than my own in the NE) as much as I absolutely love me a big helping of SC Bronson or any other similar bike in that class. I think y’d be best suited by an SC Tallboy or—probably even overkill— SC 5010. Similarly, the calling or mojo 3 seem fun or more than enough for your typical terrain.

Most other bikes you’ve listed will likely be extreme overkill unless you plan on doing some traveling.
    Thanks for your input, I wanted to keep it at 27.5/27.5+ to throw it around more. On top of that 130mm/140mm rear is good enough I just threw some in with 150mm for some more insight. I know 150mm at the rear is too much. I wanted to see if 130mm(r) and 140mm(f) would be a good mix which was more of my idea of a solid (non-overkill) mid-travel.

As far as travel, currently, I don't plan on doing so... don't feel too comfortable having the bikes getting all that road debris driving out of FL heading up north. Yet, in the event I do want to it might be nice to make it overkill down here but trail ready for the north and midwest, you never know lol.

The Tallboy is nice but I didn't want to go 29er on this build and 120mm(r)/130mm(f) and on top of that I'm not looking for another XC bike... more trail-oriented.

I'm also considering going full Shimano on this one... either XT/XTR or just full of either or.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    5010 or Mojo 3 sound right up your alley. I demoed both, and an Intense Spider (now the Primer), ended up with the Spider. I loved the Mojo 3 also, but found a great deal on the Spider. 5010 is a popular bike, but just didn't feel as "fun" as the other two. Mojo can be built up as a 27.5+ as well if you're going to be traveling in rougher terrrain. I ride the Spider in pretty chunky trails, but no big air.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    5010 or Mojo 3 sound right up your alley. I demoed both, and an Intense Spider (now the Primer), ended up with the Spider. I loved the Mojo 3 also, but found a great deal on the Spider. 5010 is a popular bike, but just didn't feel as "fun" as the other two. Mojo can be built up as a 27.5+ as well if you're going to be traveling in rougher terrrain. I ride the Spider in pretty chunky trails, but no big air.
    Ty kind sir, I'll look into them. I want to keep the bike 27.5/27.5+ and fun is the name of the game so, it looks like it might be another ibis for me heh. If the Ripley was in 27.5 mode i would of snagged that one hands down!

Any non-xc CF HT's besides those I mentioned?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I believe Ibis just said, "Here you go }{yBr!D^, I believe you were looking for this?"

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo-4

checkmate...