Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 1128
    mtbr member
    Well, this one is either top or bottom. You can set it up to do either.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecitadel View Post
    Ah, yeah that's not a 196 which is bottom pull, as your ican frame is top pull.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    The 196 has internal routing and is bottom pull only, but it seems to exit in the middle of the chainstays and I saw a few comments on the 29" er version of the frame that the XT does not line up well with the cable.

Does no one have this frame, or are they all 1x setups with no front mech?
    (My frame still on order and I want to source all parts which is why I am asking)

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by bronco5 View Post
    Quick question. I am building a FR503 hardtail for a friend. It came with the plastic tubes in all the internal routing ports. Are these used to pull housing/cable through the routes or are these plastic pipes designed to house the shift cable?

Frame in question:

FR503 Full Carbon UD Matt Mountain Bike MTB 27 5ER 650B BSA Frame Headset 17" | eBay
    Yes, run the cable through those tubes then pull them out once the cable is through the frame. Do the opposite when replacing your cables, slide the tube over the cut cable end, run it through the frame and out. Then put fresh cable through it.. etc. etc... Some frames have internal guides for the cable, some don't. Sometimes the guides come loose. Saving these little tubes can be a massive headache preventer.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    May 2015
    that is very good advice. Thanks. I was wondering the same thing myself

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I put together a velocarbon frame the same as posted by Bronco for my wife.

Details:
    1X10 XT drivetrain with WT 30, RAD cage, 40T rear and KMC X10SL chain.
    SLX brakes with KCNC rotors.
    Chinese carbon post and Charge Ladle.
    Stan's Crest wheelset with WTB Beeline XC race tires.
    RaceFace Next bars with LizardSkin grips.
    Xpedo Spry pedals on the XT cranks.
    Suntour Epicon fork in a Cane Creek headset.

I've owned a bit of carbon and found the frame finish to be kind of crummy. It was cloudy, whitish in spots, and had very apparent seams. I decided to dust it with satin black and I was happy I did. Now finished the whole bike looks quite sharp and the wife is very happy with it.It was ~1250 grams out of the box with QR dropouts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dledinger View Post
    I've owned a bit of carbon and found the frame finish to be kind of crummy. It was cloudy, whitish in spots, and had very apparent seams.
    Mine does have a big, visible seam on the top of the top tube. But it's my first carbon frame so I don't really know any better. I'm loving the bike so far. It's a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yeah..I'm not really complaining. You'd be hard pressed to find something better for $299. The big brands likely look the same under the paint.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here's another FR503 build. I just built this one for a friend. Finish quality is better than my Miracle 650b, but very similar. This one had problems with one of the axle hangers (135mm QR) where the axle opening wasn't large enough. Otherwise the build went well.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_7380.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I have perused this thread and have seen a few bikes with custom paint but only a few. anyone out there with custom paint that haven't posted? I know that MTB bikes take a beating so paint is a secondary consideration but I am building my own because part of my motivation for building bicycles is to let a little creativity out. That does not mean I want to make a garage queen, I make an buy stuff to be used. I would like to see what others have come up with. ( The "stealth" look is cool too) thanks

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hello Guys
    I'm new on the forum, I'm from France and looking for a fulls suspension MTB. I already have a custom titanium frame made in China since 2003...time to switch.
    I was pretty interested by the Dashine DSK 650 (Carbon fiber 27.5 er suspension bike frame_???????????????), anybodu have the experience??
    As I will be in Shenzhen in August, that would be quiet a good way to get it directly from the supplier.
    Thanks for helping. Also if there's better choice in 650B full suspension from China at fair price with good quality.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    A couple questions for you guys. Is there a chinese company making 27.5+ frames yet?

Also, for you geometry nerds, is there any frames close to the santa cruz 5010 geometry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any full squish 27.5+?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What options are there for 27.5 with 120 to 130 reartravel? I am looking for something as close to 5010 as possible, Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2015
    So my FM-156 is in the mail. The hardest part... waiting for mail from China. A lot less worry this time because I got my road bike from Hong Fu as well but still, a lot of money floating through international waters

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Nice.

Still waiting for my 196 to ship :-(

mtbr member
    May 2015
    EMS is pretty quick, Peter shipped my frame Monday (29th) and it landed in UK last night (1st). Parcel Force handle EMS in UK though not Royal Mail, so current status is "awaiting customs charging" - cest la vie...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    My frame arrived while I was on vacation the other day. Yippee! I will post a picture when i get the much sought after 10th post. A question though. can anyone post a picture of the underside swingarm of thier FM156. I get how the cables attach to the frame but not to the swing arm. Maybe a noob question but I did not encounter this when i built my road bike and my old mtb has top mounted cables. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a 15 inch frame on the boat somewhere also. Going to build it up for my daughter.
    Could you tell me what the FSA parts numbers are for the headset?
    thanks

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Best to check with the vendor you got your frame from, but most of the frames seen to be FSA No 42 if you have a tapered headset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anybody try pushing the tire width on one of these frames?

Cont. makes a 2.4. Vee rubber a 2.35.

mtbr member
    May 2015

So here is my new bike

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-20150706_153615_resized_1.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-20150706_153857_resized.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-20150706_154224_resized.jpg

I would have uploaded these pics sooner but I was on vacation. I am quite happy with the quality of the frame, paint, etc. Unfortunately life has intervened and the build up will be taking me a while longer than I had originally hoped.
    This is my second HongFu frame and they have been nothing but easy to work with.

Less yap more braaap
    So I'm dealing with Wendy from DengFu at the moment for an FM288, she's going to be shipping via EMS (which goes to Canada Post once it lands at the port of entry/bonded warehouse). I already have a couple parts.

I'm looking for a fork and rear shock and kind of hitting up pinkbike and ebay just to browse and see if there's a smoking deal that pops up otherwise I'm seriously looking at a 150 Suntour Auron and a 200x50 Suntour Durolux which look reasonable and from what people are saying offer pretty good bang for your buck.

If all goes well my next buy will be a CX bike, the FM059 (feeling like I might go with a mix of Tiagra and Sora??? anyone convince me otherwise)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tier1 View Post
    So I'm dealing with Wendy from DengFu at the moment for an FM288, she's going to be shipping via EMS (which goes to Canada Post once it lands at the port of entry/bonded warehouse). I already have a couple parts.

I'm looking for a fork and rear shock and kind of hitting up pinkbike and ebay just to browse and see if there's a smoking deal that pops up otherwise I'm seriously looking at a 150 Suntour Auron and a 200x50 Suntour Durolux which look reasonable and from what people are saying offer pretty good bang for your buck.

If all goes well my next buy will be a CX bike, the FM059 (feeling like I might go with a mix of Tiagra and Sora??? anyone convince me otherwise)
    That's the AM frame that looks like the Pivot Mach right? How much was it out the door? I'm thinking about getting one in the near future.

Less yap more braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
    That's the AM frame that looks like the Pivot Mach right? How much was it out the door? I'm thinking about getting one in the near future.
    They're asking $660 USD plus $14 if you want one of their headsets. Shipping to Canada is $100 USD. So once the smoke clears looks like $760 USD plus whatever duties are assessed by CP.

I don't know much about headsets but are they easy to make or easy to **** up with the manufacturing (I know Chris King is supposed to be "the" best to get plus the bling factor)? Otherwise I'm thinking of using my own, might be able to source a Cane Creek 40 or FSA for $30-35. Which looks like a couple other mid and higher end bikes go with Cane Creek and FSA for their headsets...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    They're asking $660 USD plus $14 if you want one of their headsets. Shipping to Canada is $100 USD. So once the smoke clears looks like $760 USD plus whatever duties are assessed by CP.

I don't know much about headsets but are they easy to make or easy to **** up with the manufacturing (I know Chris King is supposed to be "the" best to get plus the bling factor)? Otherwise I'm thinking of using my own, might be able to source a Cane Creek 40 or FSA for $30-35. Which looks like a couple other mid and higher end bikes go with Cane Creek and FSA for their headsets...
    That's awesome. That's a hell of a lot better than paying 3-4k just for a frame. I used to fly RC planes and I'd get all my planes from china for half of what the US companies sold them for. Either way they were still made in china. Probably made in the same factory. It seems the bike frame industry is the same way now. This is good news. People will say what they want but we're just paying for the name no matter what hobby.

Oh and your headset question. I have no idea. I've honestly never bought a headset. I've always used ones that come on the bikes I buy. I hear came creek makes good stuff. I know Chris king is the god of the bike world but that's the extent of my knowledge.

mtbr member
    I built up a chinese carbon fiber 29er. It came with a headset. Seemed to be good enough quality when I got it. Not sure I would be really rough on it, just because, but the one that came with it would be sure to fit the frame. I had planned to replace it with a Cane Creek, but I had a hard time getting them to tell me what headset would work. When I was trying to ask them what headset the frame needed, I got into a huge circular conversation that eventually brought me back to the answer "it needs the one that comes with it." So that's the one I used.

mtbr member
    Most of the China carbon frames use a Campagnolo type internal headset.

Its a headset No need to spend big bucks on one.

Neco Headset 1 1 8" 1 1 2" Tapered Integrated MTB Frame Road Bike Steerer Tube | eBay

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cha View Post
    NO, just no. Do not order carbon frames online, if they are slightly damaged they could break. Try Giant.
    I love people like you. You're the same kind of guy who says don't buy rc parts or planes from china.

Less yap more braaap
    I used to fly RC planes and I'd get all my planes from china for half of what the US companies sold them for. Either way they were still made in china. Probably made in the same factory. It seems the bike frame industry is the same way now. This is good news. People will say what they want but we're just paying for the name no matter what hobby.
    Let me guess, you use HobbyKing too? I haven't gotten into RC just yet, I was thinking of getting into 1:6 cars but I love using them for random connectors and wire and servos and other crap for other projects that I do (also DigiKey, Mouser, and Newark). I also buy a lot of stuff from a store that's basically the equivalent to Harbor Freight in the US but I also own some quality name brand tools because I think the quality is there... It's like a resistor is a resistor, it's hard to mess up making one, but there's also a difference between a Nichicon capacitor and an "unbranded" capacitor.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoLee View Post
    I built up a chinese carbon fiber 29er. It came with a headset. Seemed to be good enough quality when I got it. Not sure I would be really rough on it, just because, but the one that came with it would be sure to fit the frame. I had planned to replace it with a Cane Creek, but I had a hard time getting them to tell me what headset would work. When I was trying to ask them what headset the frame needed, I got into a huge circular conversation that eventually brought me back to the answer "it needs the one that comes with it." So that's the one I used.
    Good to know, if I won't have problems with needing to replace the headset then I guess I'll just roll with what they give me, worst comes to worst I'll have spent $14 on something that lasts say a season and just pay $30 for a Cane Creek or FSA. I don't think I'll jump for a CK headset though (just like how I know Phil Wood makes awesome stuff but I can't justify buying one of their hubs when I can get a DT for a reasonable-ish price or even a Novatec or Dimension or Formula or Joytech hub for dirt cheap that will last a couple seasons then replace the bearings or whatever).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Let me guess, you use HobbyKing too? I haven't gotten into RC just yet, I was thinking of getting into 1:6 cars but I love using them for random connectors and wire and servos and other crap for other projects that I do (also DigiKey, Mouser, and Newark). I also buy a lot of stuff from a store that's basically the equivalent to Harbor Freight in the US but I also own some quality name brand tools because I think the quality is there... It's like a resistor is a resistor, it's hard to mess up making one, but there's also a difference between a Nichicon capacitor and an "unbranded" capacitor
    Hobbyking i used a lot. I got 3 planes there, like 20 batteries, retractable landing gear. Then I went with FMS who make the bigger planes. 1400mm to 1700mm. Bought 4 planes from them. None failed. Ever.
    I got all my FPV stuff from foxtechfpv in shenzchen(sp). All these places are in the same part of China. Even the bike factories. I've never had a bad experience with any of them and I've bought TONs of stuff from china. Even got a guy there who custom built planes to build me one. They're all nice.

One thing about China that's different. You better be self reliant because warranties aren't worth a crap. As long as you know that going into it. If something breaks. Learn how to fix it yourself. That's the only downfall but I like doing things myself so it never bothered me.

One last thing. If enough people complain about a design. They fix it fast and break out a new version. They know how Americans feel about Chinese products and they make revisions quick. Unlike in America where they basically don't care unless it's a boutique brand.

mtbr member
    I love my Chris King hubs, but I have never bought anything else of theirs. Not because it is not nice, but because it is expensive. And I have never bought Chris King hubs new. I get them used but CK serviced for less than half of what I would new.

For headsets, Cane Creek are pretty amazing, and are significantly less than Chris King. Use the chinese headset until it goes bad, then buy a Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    The Neco ones the Chinese frame suppliers include are supposed to be ok. The cane creek are expensive and hard to find here in UK, the FSA was also expensive so I went for an Aerozine on mine as only 80g and look smart as well.

Less yap more braaap
    One thing about China that's different. You better be self reliant because warranties aren't worth a crap. As long as you know that going into it. If something breaks. Learn how to fix it yourself. That's the only downfall but I like doing things myself so it never bothered me.
    Oh trust me I know this all too well, I'm actually Chinese myself (although born in North America). If they say "lifetime warranty" it's not worth the paper it's written on.

Also if I'm using sites like Digikey and Mouser chances are I'm also heavily into the hacking and DIY stuff. In fact for the longest time I thought it was normal for people to have electronic soldering kits and Digital Multi Meters at home and boxes of random resistors, diodes, caps, and inductors. Just like how most homeowners of detached houses have power tools and a workshop in the garage/basement. Apparently it's just because my mom does that kind of stuff for work and my dad likes to do home renos and random weekend projects making useful things for around the house.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

You may pick up some tips from this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5/china-ca...l#post11414010

banned
    Mar 2015

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Awesome to see you post here PeterXu, I was curious if you have any plans to get in to the 27.5+ frames and boost wheels?

mtbr member
    May 2015

Can recommend the 196SL, only finished building mine up last week and took to the local forest for the first time today but so far very happy.

Picture above from first ride last weekend, against the forecast it rained today so it needs a clean now!

mtbr member
    I've been riding and racing the 136 frame for over two years. It's been a fantastic frame.

Regarding headsets, the Neco set the frames come with are not stainless steel and will rust. They're low quality. I upgraded both of my open mold frames with FSA headsets. Unfortunately, Chris King does not make a headset for this application. Otherwise I would have gone with theirs. I run their stuff whenever I can because it is simply the best.

mtbr member
    Posting this for anyone interested in a FS Chinese Carbon frame. I just purchased one from ICAN Bikes called the S7 (150mm travel). It's almost the exact same geometry as a well known manufacturer here in the US except for the rear shock setup. This is my second purchase from ICAN and both went well. Frame is 2,675 grams so a little on the heavy side but I'm counteracting it with lightweight components. Feel free to reach out to me if you have questions.

Land of the 230+
    Has anybody put a 130 mm fork on the FR-503? How does it ride? I've been riding mine with a 120 mm epicon, but just picked up a new xfusion sweep, and I'm not sure if I should reduce the travel from 130, or try it as is. It guessing it would put me around a 69.5* HTA, while I'm closer to a 70* HTA right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikebend View Post
    I recently purchased a frame and fork through Hongfu bikes, model FM-196. Had an amazing customer service experience, including a totally custom paint job for about $125. They had the paint job color matched to photos I had sent them within a day and then drawn up on the computer by the next. Pretty amazing. Frame weighed almost exactly what they advertised, 955g. Build quality looks like any major brand, while the price was over half of what I would've spent for something similar, without the custom paint job. After a few rides on it, I couldn't be happier. Tracks amazing, solid descender, excellent uphill traction and zero flex. And I loooove the 27.5" wheel size, especially for a short guy like me. And for you weight weenies out there, the total build weighs 17.1 lbs.

[URL="https://s50.photobucket.com/user/stayfido/media/_MG_4143.jpg.html"][IMG]]
    Hi, nice Bike. What size are you?

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Has anybody put a 130 mm fork on the FR-503? How does it ride? I've been riding mine with a 120 mm epicon, but just picked up a new xfusion sweep, and I'm not sure if I should reduce the travel from 130, or try it as is. It guessing it would put me around a 69.5* HTA, while I'm closer to a 70* HTA right now.
    Well I rode the new fork at 130mm on my hard tail, and I must say I didnt mind the geometry at all. Maybe its the slightly higher offset of the x-fusion forks, but it felt comfortable even in any out of tight trees and over slow technical climbs. Ill keep it this way unless I find a good reason to go back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Is there any particular model full suspension 650 frame that is the "best"? Or one that is tried and true, everyone agrees is a good choice?

Particularly for XC.

Less yap more braaap
    If you're looking for a carbon fully you have 2 choices, either a single pivot (or split pivot?) or a "dw-link". The one with the dw-link might have less pedal bob when you're going hard as is inherent with the design. Not sure about the other one though.

The first bike I believe fits a 6.5x1.5 shock while the other ones uses a 7.875x2.0 shock (though people are saying you might be able to fit a 7.875x2.25 although it will be tight).

If I were building up a fully XC I'd probably buy the bike that fits the 6.5x1.5 shock (putting a Monarch RL on it) and toss on a 100mm fork.

BTW: CRC has RockShox Recon Silvers (straight tube steerer) on closeout at the moment, only $220-ish USD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you're looking for a carbon fully you have 2 choices, either a single pivot (or split pivot?) or a "dw-link". The one with the dw-link might have less pedal bob when you're going hard as is inherent with the design. Not sure about the other one though.

The first bike I believe fits a 6.5x1.5 shock while the other ones uses a 7.875x2.0 shock (though people are saying you might be able to fit a 7.875x2.25 although it will be tight).

If I were building up a fully XC I'd probably buy the bike that fits the 6.5x1.5 shock (putting a Monarch RL on it) and toss on a 100mm fork.

BTW: CRC has RockShox Recon Silvers (straight tube steerer) on closeout at the moment, only $220-ish USD.
    Quote Originally Posted by tantansports View Post
    Very nice! Thanks for the info. Which frame is this and which supplier would you suggest?

edit: judging by file names I'm assuming it's the fm156? Sweet frame...now I just need to find some builds online to drool over lol.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachua View Post
    Very nice! Thanks for the info. Which frame is this and which supplier would you suggest?

edit: judging by file names I'm assuming it's the fm156? Sweet frame...now I just need to find some builds online to drool over lol.
    I think they are advertising themselves as the supplier on aliexpress?

I had good experience through Peter at XMI if it helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    thanks, my friend!

Oh my...just found this Carbon-FM156-650B-build Photo Album - Pinkbike

I used to think dual susp bikes looked fugly, but for whatever reason I think this one looks pretty dern cool!

banned
    Mar 2015
    I think they are advertising themselves as the supplier on aliexpress?

I had good experience through Peter at XMI if it helps.
    Thanks, buddy, but me new company is Carbon Speed now
    CS-156 650B full suspension carbon bike frame 27.5er mtb - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

The fm156 seems to be similar to the scott spark?

30 Czech
    Quote Originally Posted by clbaumer View Post
    Awesome to see you post here PeterXu, I was curious if you have any plans to get in to the 27.5+ frames and boost wheels?
    Mountain Frame - 650B/29ER Plus Frame,Products
    WCB-M-078 27.5+/ 29 /29+-workswellbikes
    I'm going to build these different levels, with steps, and it'll all be carpeted

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi everyone, I can't find a place to purchase the DF288 / Ican S7 frame. Has anyone bought one of these frames?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    ICANbikes.com or email [email protected]
    Ask for Linda
    I'm almost finished with building an S7. If you want to see pics of it, let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great thanks! It would be awesome to see some pictures. Did you build it around a 160 or 150mm fork?

mtbr member
    150mm Fox Float 34. Here you go. The geo of this frame is almost spot on with the SB5C. I have a comparison of that as well.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_1273.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_1275.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks pretty nice! Quite similar to the Pivot Mach 6.

I'm a bit confused about the HA, 68 seems quite steep for a machine like this, have you been able to measure it?

mtbr member
    No, not yet. I will when I'm finished building it and let you know. should only be a few days.

Less yap more braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by chagolucho View Post
    Great thanks! It would be awesome to see some pictures. Did you build it around a 160 or 150mm fork?
    I'm building one off a 160mm Suntour Auron fork. I've got a frame coming to me eventually.... seems they build the frame after you order it and don't make a batch of a hundred at a time. I was originally talking to Wendy at Deng Fu in the spring but I'm now dealing with Melody. They seem alright, although it seems like they have very basic/minimal knowledge about what they're selling (or it might be the Chinese/English communication).

BTW it's got a DW-link style rear suspension and of the manufacturers that make DW-link bikes it's closest to the Pivot Mach 5.7 IMO.

@ 13JMH: The ISCG mount on that bike, what version is it? ISCG-Old or ISCG 05? I'm trying to source a chain guide. At the moment it's betweeen an MRP G3, E*13 LG1+ or the Blackspire Der Guide (possibly the Straitline Silent Guide but I have to look into it more).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chagolucho View Post
    Looks pretty nice! Quite similar to the Pivot Mach 6.

I'm a bit confused about the HA, 68 seems quite steep for a machine like this, have you been able to measure it?
    You have to look at the axle crown of their measurements. I'd hope for a 66 or 67 with a 150mm fork.

I'm thinking on building one up in the spring. This S7 looks very nice.

mtbr member
    ISCG 05'. Do you think I will need a chain guide? The sales rep at race face said I wouldn't need one.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am not using a chain guide on my hard tail, but the XT rear mech does have a clutch.

Less yap more braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by 13JMH View Post
    ISCG 05'. Do you think I will need a chain guide? The sales rep at race face said I wouldn't need one.
    I have no idea. I'm going to be running a 1x10 with an NW chainring and a Shadow+ clutch derailleur but I want that extra peace of mind that it'll be secure. I had my chain drop once on my commuter (just a regular drivetrain, no clutch or NW ring) and almost dumped my bike into traffic. I don't want to dump my bike and get messed up in the middle of nowhere.

I do tend to like the cleaner look of not running one but the trails I'm taking them on I think I'd want the extra peace of mind. I don't claim to be a pro level rider that can just take the A Line on every trail and clear every single gap without thinking about it but I don't want to drop my chain and get messed up.

mtbr member
    Understood. Im running 1x10 too and I have a clutch derailleur and NW chainring. The bike is heavy enough as it is. I'll take my chances without the guide.

mtbr member
    Chagolucho: the head angle is indeed 68. I made sure the top tube was level and took the measurement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-mtb.jpgBought this frame this year and and also a carbon wheelset. So far, so good. The bike feels amazing and has been quite sturdy. Total weight: 25 lbs. Major components: Carbon Frame, Carbon Wheelset, Rockshox Reverb Seatpost Dropper, Fox Float 32 CTD Suspension Fork, Fox Float CTD Rear Shock, SRAM Cassette, Race Face Crank 1x 32t, Chris King Bottom Bracket, Specialized Handlebar Huge thanks to Randle--my builder, master fabricator, mtb riding buddy, and all around good guy, of Ellis Racing!!! UD 27 5ER Carbon Fiber Suspension Frame MTB Carbon Bike Framesets 16"BSA | eBay Hookless 30mm Wide x25mm Depth 27 5"Carbon MTB Wheelset Tubeless Compatible | eBay
    Last edited by son of krypton; 10-15-2015 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    For all of you wanting to build up an S7, I forgot to mention that the headset that came with the bike was junk and would not sit flush with the frame. I ended up using a Chris King Inset 2 which fit perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    For all of you wanting to build up an S7, I forgot to mention that the headset that came with the bike was junk and would not sit flush with the frame. I ended up using a Chris King Inset 2 which fit perfectly.
    I can't wait for your final build pics and ride reviews!

ac

Live Free & Ride
    Looks like a good winter project! BTW, what rear shock did you end up using...with model, eye to eye, and tune? I think the rear shock will be key in getting this frame to handle the way it is meant to....as an all mtn weapon! Also, what was your total cost w/shipping plz?

Also...any pics with rear tire clearance? Hoping for 2.4-2.5, the wider the better!
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

Less yap more braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Looks like a good winter project! BTW, what rear shock did you end up using...with model, eye to eye, and tune? I think the rear shock will be key in getting this frame to handle the way it is meant to....as an all mtn weapon!
    Should be a 200x51 (7.875x2.0) shock. But people in another thread have mentioned that a 200x57 will fit as well. Worst comes to worst you *might* be able to put some sort of bottom out spacer to reduce it to 56mm.

I'm looking at getting a 200x57 for myself to install when my frame comes in. Looking at either a CC DBAir or a Vivid Air.

BTW, apparently the stock bearings on the rear linkage suck (cheap chinese crap). I ended up preemptively spending $80 for a full set of SKF bearings to replace the stock ones when my frame comes in. The bearings will probably outlast the frame but it's something that I think is worth it (I have friends who work for people that wouldn't bat an eye at spending $$$$ for top quality ABEC 9 bearings because downtime on their machines mean they're hemorrhaging money). Any top quality brand will work (NTN, NSK, ***, Timken, etc.) and also probably outlast the frame. You could also look at other brands like EnduroMax which I've heard will run you about $45 for a full set of bearings.

mtbr member
    $828 shipped but I got a deal bcuz I had purchased a HT from them before. The regular price is $830 (does not include shipping). The price I paid for the frame was $725 which is the regular price when you buy 6-10 of them.

Rear Shock: 2016 fox factoy float DPS EVOL, 200x50.8
    Tune: Large Volume

I'll take some pics and post them when I'm able. I've got a nooby nic 2.25 on it now and there's plenty of room. You can definitely fit a 2.4.

mtbr member
    How would I go about replacing the bearings? Is that a complicated process?

Less yap more braaap
    How would I go about replacing the bearings? Is that a complicated process?
    Should be too hard, it's been described to me as being pretty easy and there's a step by step guide in another thread on here. You'll need a bearing press to get them on and off without damaging them (or something that can apply even pressure to the bearing while mounting it). Even something as simple as a bolt and washer/nut combo will work. It's just interference fit (AKA friction fit) so you just need to push them out and replace the new ones by pushing those in.

Here's the guide. http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5/china-ca...l#post12148121

mtbr member
    Cool thx. Where did you buy your bearings at?

Less yap more braaap
    I got mine from some ebay seller. Bike Hub Doctor I think is his store. I got the SKF ones he sells, pricey and probably overkill but like I said, there's people willing to shell out $$$$ for super tight tolerance bearings. you might also be able to find them locally from a local industrial supply retailer (Grainger, Mcmaster Carr, MSC, etc.)

Another website that was mentioned was enduroforkseals.com The one you want is 6902 LLU MAX-BO note it may take a bit for the page to fully load (or it might just be my slow internet).

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Apologies if this has been covered, i couldnt find it. I'm considering getting a chinese carbon hardtail frame. The geometries all seem fairly traditional. Ae tere any with a slacker 69deg ish head angle?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlife View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered, i couldnt find it. I'm considering getting a chinese carbon hardtail frame. The geometries all seem fairly traditional. Ae tere any with a slacker 69deg ish head angle?
    Yes.

The geometries are posted on the vendors' websites.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm aware geos are on the websites, but i've not found any 650b hardtails with head angles slacker than 70 deg after looking on a lot of the chinese sellers websites. That's why I posted to ask if anyone knew of models with a 69deg HA

Land of the 230+
    FWIW, I'm enjoying riding my hardtail with 120-130mm forks, making an effective 69 to 69.5 HTA. I actually prefer the set back seat location.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm running this one with a 130mm fork, works great: 650B Disc Brake Carbon Frame 27 5ER Mountain Bike Bicycle Frame x 12mm Axle 17in | eBay

Puts the HA at 68.5 or so, seat angle at 71.5 With a straight (no setback) seat post, I have the seat in the middle of the rails and the fit is perfect. The BB height is a bit more where like it as well. Note, the BB drop is a bit more on that particular frame, so it works better than some with the longer fork--so if you're looking for a slacker head angle hard tail I'd look hard at that one.

Formerly of Kent
    I'm aware geos are on the websites, but i've not found any 650b hardtails with head angles slacker than 70 deg after looking on a lot of the chinese sellers websites. That's why I posted to ask if anyone knew of models with a 69deg HA
    30 seconds on Alibaba. 69.3 degrees with, presumably, a 100mm fork.

Top Sell Carbon Mtb Bike Frame In 2014 27.5er 650b Frame Carbon Mtb - Buy China Mtb Carbon Frame,Mtb Carbon Frame 29er,Oem Carbon Road Bike Frames Product on Alibaba.com

69 degrees in the M size.

2014 New Mtb 29er Carbon Mtb Frame With Axle 142*12 - Buy 27.5er Mtb Carbon Frame 650b,Carbon Bikes,Bicycle Parts Product on Alibaba.com

68 degrees.

Lightcarbon Ud 27.5er Mtb Carbon Frame 650b Carbon Bike Frame With Bb92 System Ht089 - Buy Carbon Frame 650b,Carbon Frame,650b Carbon Bike Frame Product on Alibaba.com
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hi there. New in the forum and very intrested in this chinese frames thread...i'm near to buy an S7 all mountain frame but before i will be happy to see is someone ended the build and the results (anyone tested yet the machine?) It looks very good in pictures and geometry but i'm some skeptical at the moment of clicking the buy it now button...

mtbr member
    May 2015

things I have learned along the way

I am in the midst of my bike build up but it will take a while. I started from the ground up and am buying parts as they go on sale and putting them on the bike as they arrive.
    I originally built a road bike several years ago and liked the results so much that i decided to build my new mountain bike as well.
    the first thing I discovered was that if you pay attention to sales and luck out you can save quite a bit of $$$. I am significantly under the budget I set for myself on this project and am quite happy about that.

Now for some other stuff;

I purchased an FM156 from Hongfu. My road bike was from there and they were easy to work with. the design I pulled from the internet.

FM156 comes interchangeable for the rear at 135mm or 142mm. I forgot to specify 142 and so went looking for the correct dropoutsChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-20150915_104018_resized.jpg(wrong dropouts)

Ebay had the correct dropouts as well as FLYXII. Amazon had them too but for a ridiculous shipping fee. Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-20150915_104101_resized.jpg
    (Correct dropouts)

There are many places that sell clear frame protection. It is the same stuff that goes on cars to protect from rock hits. I got a bunch of it for free locally from a car shop because it was scrap to them. Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-20150915_103922_resized.jpg ( my bike getting frame protection)

last thing to share today, my bike stand doesn't work with the new dropouts. I bought this for my road bike build and MTB's use much bigger axles. Park tool had an adapter so now I have kind of a hybrid bike stand. Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-20151031_145208_resized.jpg

unfortunately Christmas will be putting a damper on my parts buying for a while but I will try and post more of what I learn as things move along

mtbr member
    Just finished this morning and took it out this afternoon. Final Pics minus the seat which is from my hard tail.

Thoughts: Killer bike! Extremely plush which I'm all for. Handles well. Much higher bottom bracket clearance than my hardtail which I really like. A little on the heavy side. Mine weighs 25.4 lbs at the moment. Once I get carbon wheels, it will drop it at least another pound. I really don't have any complaints yet but then again, i only took it once around a five mile loop. Save yourself some money and get one. I went with the S7 for two reasons: a.) travel; and b.) the way it looks compared to all the others sold. I think all the other Chinese FS frames are weird looking. One thing you can do that I didn't do is search "OEM Full Suspension Frames" on Alibaba. There were a bunch more different designs that popped up when I did Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-pic1l.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-pic2f.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-pic3r.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Looks like a great AM machine! 👍...just started to calculating how to gain something in weight and i'll be ready to buy!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Which 27.5 chinese frame would you guys recommend for a XC HT with a race geometry?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am going to build a racing bike for my wife. Have ordered all the parts and a 27.5 Frame. Parts have started coming in already. I think I'm more excited then her about putting it all together hehe. This is what I have ordered, Hoping I can get the bike around 20lbs total weight

Frame = ICANBikes AC650B Frame, size 17, custom painted (I will attach pic of what it is supposed to look like when I get it)
    - Carbon 680mm Riser Handlebar
    - Carbon 60mm Stem
    - Carbon 31.6x350mm Seat-post
    - ESI Grips
    - Rockshox SID RCT3 120mm Fork
    - RaceFace Turbine 1x Crankset with 32T Ring and CINCH BB92 Bottom Bracket
    - Shimano XTR M9000 Race Brakes with 160mm Centre Lock Rotors
    - Shimano XTR M9000 Race Carbon Wheel-set with some Racing Ralph Snakeskin Tires
    - Shimano XTR 11 Speed Cassette
    - Shimano XTR 11 Speed Chain
    - Shimano XTR Single 11 Speed Shifter
    - Shimano XTR 11 Speed Rear Mech
    - Fizik Arione Donna 00 Carbon Saddle
    - Time XC8 Carbon Pedals
    - And Two Carbon Water Bottle Cages

The total tally so far for every single part I have purchased is $3073.12

I can't wait until I get the actual frame to put it all together.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-650b.jpg

banned
    Mar 2015
    CS-196 SL frame with some other parts were shipped to France and DH740C 27.5er DH rims were shipped to Norway today.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_0066.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_0067.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_0068.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_0074.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_0229.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-img_0230.jpg

Less yap more braaap
    Got my frame in yesterday from Deng Fu. It was packed well and they were easy to deal with. The wait time was a little under 2 months to my door and when they gave me the tracking number it was dispatched right away, it honestly probably spent more time in the customs warehouse than it did actually in transit. The build quality is good, I don't know much about carbon layups and stuff but they seem to look good.

I can answer any questions anyone might have. I don't claim to be a mechanic but I'll try and answer what I can and take pictures of specific parts if requested.

I also just wanted to make 100% sure of this as well. The thru axle standard (142x12) that I need to use for these dropouts is the "Shimano E-Thru" right?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Tier1 I don't have any experience with the DengFu frame, but my frame from Peter takes the e-thru as I believe most of the Chinese frames do. You want e-thru as it has the nut the axle goes into, other "thru" axles do not come with the but like e-thru ones.

I am using the DT Swiss ratchet one.

mtbr member
    I would go to your LBS and test ride a handful of their XC bikes. Then go home and look up the geo online for the one that you liked the most. After that, try and find a Chinese frame with similar geo. If you're looking for a really light one, the AC650B from ICAN is around 1,000 grams. However, I've seen others on alibaba lower than that.

mtbr member
    Tier1: Which model did you get from dengfu again? I remember you saying you're using a 160mm fork and am curious as to what affect it will have on the Head Angle?

Less yap more braaap
    whitecitadel, just making sure 100%, the dropouts look exactly the same, not tapered or weird or anything so I'm pretty confident it's a Shimano E-Thru.

Tier1: Which model did you get from dengfu again? I remember you saying you're using a 160mm fork and am curious as to what affect it will have on the Head Angle?
    I got the Deng Fu FM288 however it's not shown on their website anymore. Very similar to the FM 336 from Hong Fu (if not the exact same from whoever the parent factory is that makes them).

I don't have it built up yet though, I need to stop by my local bike co-op sometime and borrow their shop space/tools for a couple hours, probably sometime next week. The only parts I'm missing as of now are the Thru Axle, seatpost, BB and cranks.

Looking at the Shimano AX65, or if I'm going to go DT Swiss to match my DT Hubs this one is the one I need right? DT Swiss - RWS E-Thru as for the seatpost goes, maybe one of the more budget oriented KS droppers, otherwise I'm currently looking at something like the Whiskey No. 7 31.6mm Seatpost.

As far as the BB and cranks go, this BB should fit, correct? Someone else mentioned they ended up using a Shimano XTR BB94-41A BB. Shimano BB71 MTB Press Fit Bottom Bracket | Chain Reaction Cycles

Cranks wise I'm considering a set of RF Atlas Cranks but the price is making me hesitate. Does anyone have a good suggestion for some nice and strong sub $200 (CAD) cranks (that Canadian Dollar tho...)?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just finished this morning and took it out this afternoon. Final Pics minus the seat which is from my hard tail.

Thoughts: Killer bike! Extremely plush which I'm all for. Handles well. Much higher bottom bracket clearance than my hardtail which I really like. A little on the heavy side. Mine weighs 25.4 lbs at the moment.
    Nice!

25.4 lbs sounds pretty light to me, for a plush AM rig.

mtbr member
    LOL. Not for me and what I'm using it for!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    LOL. Not for me and what I'm using it for!
    Makin' me want to build one is what you're using it for...

mtbr member
    I live in Ohio; hence my LOL comment. On another subject, I realized yesterday that Jenson sold me a 200x57 fox float with a .2 spacer in it. I took the spacer out yesterday to see if the frame could handle it and it can. Just a heads up for S7 builders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm new to the chinese carbon scene, and I am looking for a 27.5+ frame that will work with a 120mm travel fork. Any recommendations?

This is what I am looking at right now:

2016 NEW full carbon650B Plus Frame

But I don't know what travel fork it is supposed to be setup with, and it isn't compatible with thru axle.

What do you guys suggest?
    Last edited by midgetmiles; 11-09-2015 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2015

My CS-196 from Peter at Carbon Speed out in the forest yesterday, getting a bit muddy here in the UK now as the wet weather arrives.

mtbr member
    Very nice! What size fork did you end up going with?

mtbr member

My CS-196 from Peter at Carbon Speed out in the forest yesterday, getting a bit muddy here in the UK now as the wet weather arrives.

Once it gets wet outside thats when I pretty much only ride my Carbon HT I got from Peter. No pivots to clean, flat black carbon is easy to clean. haha
    2014 27.5" SC Blur TRa:cool: - 2014 IP-106 Chiner 29er :nono: - 2005 Fuji Team SL 16.2lbs -:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Very nice! What size fork did you end up going with?
    Fork is DT Swiss 100mm travel, I believe this frame is designed for 100mm from geometry I was given, and this particular fork is light (1550g) and was not too expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm increasingly tempted to purchase one of the FM/CS-136 frames, even though they are older and a bit heavier, the geometry seems a bit better than the newer lighter ones (head angle a touch slacker).

Is there any difference between 136's from different sellers/manufacturers? The carbon speed one is quoted as a 69deg HA for the 16inch but the Honfgu one is 70.5 - I'm not sure if they are slightly different moulds or if one geo is quoted wrong? Any difference in finish between the sellers?

I'm 5'7-5'8 on good day, 29 - 30 in inside leg, and am thinking to order a 16in frame. The geo seems almost identical to a 16in Pivot LES 27.5, or a small Scott Scale, and their size guides suggest it would be the appropriate bike size for me. I'm hoping to get a chance to look at a small Scott before ordering, but wondering if anyone else has a 16in frame and cares to comment re. sizing?

Also I saw earlier in this thread someone complaining about the through axle drop-outs. I'd be running standard QR, any issues with those drop-outs, or any other issues with the frames I should be aware of?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If you ask Peter at Carbon Speed I am sure he will send you the geometry diagram.

Had no issues with rear drop outs, I am using a 142 axle

Less yap more braaap
    @Midlife:

Here's my take on it. I'm 99% sure that all the online sellers are just middle men (B2C sellers) that sell to the end user. I don't think the actual manufacturer wants to deal with B2C sales so they do "B2B sales" to middle men who sell to the end users.

If I were to do it again I'd probably support Peter's new business XMCarbonSpeed because he's pretty on point with replies, info, answering questions, having a decent presence on different forums etc.

You can specify the finish that you'd like whether it's matte or glossy and the kind of weave pattern they use on the outside of the frame (note that it's all 3K carbon on the inside of the layup I can take a picture of my frame if you'd like). IIRC the geo is supposed to be more similar to the Scott Scale but really at the end of the day you can only have so many combinations of geometries for specific disciplines so I'm sure that there is a lot of overlap between different major brands with their geo's anyways.

I'm running thru axle dropouts and I can confirm that it appears they use the Shimano style E-Thru.

BTW, my build list of the FS bike if anyone is interested.

- Suntour Auron RC2 160mm
    - 200x57mm Monarch Plus Debonair
    - Shimano Zee M640 brakes with 2x 203mm RT76 rotors and 2x 160-203 post to post mount adaptors.
    - Shimano XT 11-36 Cassette
    - 10 speed Deore Shadow+ Rear Derailleur
    - 30t Raceface NW chainring (might go to 32 or 34 depending on how I feel after riding it)
    - Raceface Respond cranks 68/73mm
    - Shimano BB71-41a BB (for MTB)
    - 10 speed XT Chain (might get a master/power link later)
    - Homebuilt DT M480 wheels on DT 350 hubs and Sapim Race spkes
    - Straitline Vertical Wedge stem
    - 720mm Raceface Atlas 1/2" rise handlebars
    - Straitline 34.9mm seat collar
    - Nukeproof Warhead Inline seatpost
    - WTB Silverado saddle
    - On One Smorgasbord tires
    - Shimano SPD clipless pedals
    - ODI Ruffian grips
    - Cane Creek 40 Tapered headset
    - SKF 6902 2RS bearings

Pictures to come next weekend.

EDIT: BTW, does anyone have the specs for the rear shock hardware of the full suspension bikes? I don't have calipers to measure the eyelet reducer width or the through hole size.
    Last edited by Tier1; 11-15-2015 at 02:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If you ask Peter at Carbon Speed I am sure he will send you the geometry diagram.
    Yes, I have to say, great responsivenes, got an email with the geometry sheet half an hour after asking for it. Unfortunately HA is in fact 71deg, so steeper than I wanted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Frame and Specs?

Quote Originally Posted by SJaYx2P View Post
    New build
    Looking to do a similar build.
    is this a fr-501 or fr-503?
    what is the head tube angle on yours?
    medium frame it looks like?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

What's the head tube angle?

Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    I Love this thing. went from a Nickel to this. I was expecting to get beat up but its soooo fast and the carbon soaks up alot of bumps. After i got about 60 miles on it i was dialed. every pedal stroke equals forward excleration

Weighs 21.9 as it sits

Frame...Fr-503 uni directional carbon size med. from ebay. seller was zgr9 to my door in 8 days
    Wheels..American classic 101 with stans hubs
    Fork..Xfusion velvet 100mm
    Brakes..Magura louise Bat
    Rear der....sram medium cage x9
    Shifter..sram x9
    Bars..truvativ noir t30 600mm
    cranks..sram x9 with wolfstooth xx1 style direct mount 32t
    seatpost..fsa slk carbon
    seat..prologo kappa dea
    stem..origin 8 pro 80mm
    grips..esi racers edge
    Bottle cage..blackburn slick racing

Not sure what the difference between the fr-501 and fr-503? Heard the head tube angle was more laid back? Any other differences?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    What's the head tube angle on the fr-503? The fr-501 are a little steep at 71'

Land of the 230+
    I thought the geometry was the same, and the differences were internal cable routing and or dropout shape.

Either way, I have found that I like the way the bike feels with a 120 or even 130mm fork, which slackens the head tube angle out to 69 or 69.5.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Thanks.

I thought the geometry was the same, and the differences were internal cable routing and or dropout shape.

Either way, I have found that I like the way the bike feels with a 120 or even 130mm fork, which slackens the head tube angle out to 69 or 69.5.
    Do you know which one has the internal cables and which one doesn't?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Internal cables look nice and neat and they are not exposed muck, downside is they can be a pain to pull (you will need to bleed hydraulic brakes) and they do rattle in a carbon frame downhill.

Land of the 230+
    I cant be sure, but I would think the newer style has a better chance.

For what it's worth, my Flyxii frame FR501 has internal routing. They use FR-500, 501, and 502 simply to differentiate their 12K carbon wrap, Standard UD, and Standard UD w/ fork respectively. The frames are the same. But other vendors may have different naming conventions even though they use the same model number. Confusing I know. Chances are youll get the latest revision no matter what model number you order.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    And what is different between 12k carbon and standar UD?

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillybomber View Post
    And what is different between 12k carbon and standar UD?
    It looks like plaid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Buying a frame soon, I like this one (AC650B aka FM359): 2016 AC650B frame 135/142mm axle - Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

Except... anyone else a little spooked by the dropout/CS-SS junction design? Since like someone else said the dropouts fit pretty loosely on most of the China frames and this one doesn't seem to have much frame support for upwards load, roots and whatnot. I'd probably epoxy/carbon paste/etc the dropouts in but still. Would like to hear some views on it.

I'd rather have it in BSA but they haven't gotten back to me yet to say if they can do that.

Also found this frame, not really my style but I haven't seen it in this thread yet, sweet price (link isn't working, I guess that AsianCycleExpress website is banned from being linked? Anyway it's the FM089 frame, Google it)
    Last edited by fin-S; 11-22-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: links messed up

mtbr member
    May 2015
    My dropouts are like that and nice tight fit, not sure why anyone would think they are loose?

Interesting design change on the cable routing, should avoid it rubbing on the side of the head tube.

I went BSA on my frame, apart from no need for a press to fit, easy to service and cheaper to buy. There are some frames where they don't offer it though from the Chinese factories.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    It was halyho on page 8, I won't quote it because it's a pretty long post.

I wasn't personally concerned in the case of his frame, but on the frame in question this is potentially more crucial than on the frame he had (FS - lesser load at the actual dropout and more robust frame design around it). I still doubt it will be an issue but it looks the most likely place to be an issue on the frame, and no one expects their china frame to break, just trying to be proactive. Not gonna ride easier for fear of breaking it

Same reasoning for me on the BSA. Either way I think I'll be content though.

Thanks for the response.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    So I contradicted myself since I said it wasn't my style, but I purchased the FM089 from AsianCycleExpress/YISHUNBIKE. They were surprisingly responsive and understanding, even said it would be shipped out tomorrow. I did hear back from ICAN, but the frame I got cost about 50% less all in. Also the rear dropout is a design I have no issues with. I think it's more trail-ish geo than the AC650b but I'm k with that.

The only thing I don't like about the new one really is how the BB92 aluminum sleeve is wider than the frame, just sticks out, like 10mm on each side. Maybe I'll build it up with epoxy or something to look better, but I hope it's bonded in there quite well. I'd post pics but I don't think I can yet.

Anyone have anything to say about their BB92 frame? BSA was my first choice but wasn't an option, oh well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hey dude. first off sweet ride. im getting this same frame for my wife and was wondering about tire size capabilities. what are you running and do you think you could go any larger?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sillebiker3 View Post
    Hey dude. first off sweet ride. im getting this same frame for my wife and was wondering about tire size capabilities. what are you running and do you think you could go any larger?
    If you mean the one I got, I'll have 2.25 Clement FRJ's front and rear on it (on really wide 28mm rims), I'm sure 2.25's will be fine. It says on the website I got it from "Max tire clearance -650B*23""... 2.3" I'm guessing is what they meant.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-lightcarbon_fm089_27_5er_650b_hardtaail_china.jpg

Referencing the 89.5 / 92mm wide BB in the background here, and a little analysis using ruler tool in Photoshop, looks like around 65mm is the smallest section the tire would see, so 2.35" could probably work out, 2.5"... unlikely. I can't say anything with certainty without having the frame in hand though.

For more info search around, the frame goes by at least one other code. You can find more pics and info if you search using the other codes.
    Last edited by fin-S; 11-24-2015 at 02:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    using any chinese bike frame in the dirt period.xc,or dh is a disaster waiting to happen
    no warranty.the standards of building are different

no long term reviews on any of them
    save ur money for those hospital visits

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastfoe View Post
    using any chinese bike frame in the dirt period.xc,or dh is a disaster waiting to happen

How are the standards of build different, and different to what - the big name brands coming out of the other end of the same factory?

mtbr member

Spurious post....try finding a carbon frame NOT made in China...

Long term reviews? I've been racing my FM136 for three years. Flawless.

bike rider

I disagree. For XC style use my generic frame has held up and I've seen plenty others on the forum who are happy with theirs. For harder "trail", "all-mountain", or "enduro" style riding I wouldn't trust them and said so when the FM-336 came out. Sure enough, if you read that thread you'll see problems.
    Keep the Country country.

Land of the 230+

Appropriate username posting this nonsense in this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Obviously trolling. or just plain dumb.

Anyway my frame did not ship the day after I ordered (surprise!) but it is enroute... this time of year it could take a month though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Can someone please tell me which ChrisKing headsets will fit the FR501?

Less yap more braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    Looks like a tapered headset. I think it's this one that you need from the CC 40 series "Tapered ZS44|ZS56/40" SKU: BAA0533K, but wait for someone else to confirm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm using the Chinese headset that came with it now and the CK fit finder is a little confusing. If it's the Inset2 that would be cool because there is a lightly used one on eBay right now

Formerly of Kent
    King doesn't make a headset that will fit this frame. Tier1 provided the answer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post

FSA No. 42 , it's just a 1.5" (40x51.8x8 mm) and a normal 1-1/8" upper. Whatever stack height you find (likely 7.5 or 8mm) will probably work. Both are 36x45 degrees I believe. It can be cheaper to buy just the bearings but since you don't have the race or anything I'd advise you just buy the headset complete. Many different "brands" sell them, Flyxxi has it on their website for $14 which is really cheap. It's a decent quality, probably exactly the same bearings FSA sells.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    So I got the frame. As expected they were really slow in actually shipping it but once the package registered in China on tracking it was here in 5 days. I should mention I asked Cherry every day about the progress and since it was delayed they threw in a free headset. USPS Priority Express International. I bought with "free shipping" but turns out $75 of the total cost was shipping, sweet. Arrived package very well with a protector between the dropouts. Build quality seems really good. I'm painting it but I have all the build kit here waiting.

Very pleased overall, if it was standard 1 month shipping I wouldn't be since they took so long to ship, but it was here so fast after shipment. I recommend Asian Cycle Express, so far.

Frame weighs 1350g, within "1330g +/- 5%".

Land of the 230+
    I see the Chinese have successfully replicated our stealth bomber technology. Looks sick. G/L with the build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Something beautiful is about to be born .... Project bike for my wife Rubi Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00010.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweet! Congrats. I'm sure she'll love it.

Less yap more braaap
    Sweet build. Almost makes me want to build a hardtail now, and to think my fully hasn't seen much riding at all yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This is how I spent my Sunday Didn't have time to take it to shop to get the Fork tube cut before they closed today. Will take it in tomorrow. The final weight of the bike with pedals and sealant (and the piece of extra fork tube) came to 19.8 LBS! ... I was very impressed. I was shooting for under 21lbs so I can say that I got it where I wanted it. The Frame looks very very well built, very strong and the paint job was impressive.
    Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00091.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00092.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00093.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00094.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00095.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00096.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00097.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00098.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00099.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00100.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00102.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00010.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00069.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00072.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00075.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00079.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00080.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00083.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00085.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00086.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00088.jpgChinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-dsc00089.jpg

Less yap more braaap
    Wow. That looks like one sexy bike. Did you do the log design and stuff yourself or just give them the colour and name to put onto the bike?

I really love the colour, very "Rossi like". I'm thinking if I do get a Carbon HT it'd be in black and pink like the Commencal Meta SX or Evil Undead colour scheme.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wow. That looks like one sexy bike. Did you do the log design and stuff yourself or just give them the colour and name to put onto the bike?

I really love the colour, very "Rossi like". I'm thinking if I do get a Carbon HT it'd be in black and pink like the Commencal Meta SX or Evil Undead colour scheme.
    Thanks! I told them the color I wanted and that I wanted it to say RUBI on the down tube... they did the design themselves and showed me pictures of different styles.. I liked this one the most and it came out great.

mtbr member
    Well done.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

bike rider
    I'll be curious to hear how she likes the seat. I put them on our tandem and my girlfriend hated it even with a good chamois. I thought it fit me fine and used it for 2 weeks straight of 50+mi rides only wearing boardshorts.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I'll be curious to hear how she likes the seat. I put them on our tandem and my girlfriend hated it even with a good chamois. I thought it fit me fine and used it for 2 weeks straight of 50+mi rides only wearing boardshorts.
    That seat is actually mine. Her saddle didn't arrive until today via US Mail (didn't even know US Mail delivers on Sundays now) ... Used one of my saddles for the pictures and for the initial build just to have something on it in the meantime. her saddle arrived kind of late today and didn't have time to swap them.

She will be using a red Selle SMP Carbon saddle.. She likes that style better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thats a good looking rig man. quick question. my chinese fs carbon frame came in and it does not seem to haveny where to secure my 142 TA in the rear. no thread to tighten. i havwent been able to find a dtswiss TA with and end cap. i have dt swiss e slpine 1900 wheel set and no axle came with the set or the bike. now im wondering how im supposed to secure my TA. so i need to buy a TA with an end cap or can i even use a different TA with my DT swiss hub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    man thats a poorly typed question. sorry for the incoherence

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sillebiker3 View Post
    Thats a good looking rig man. quick question. my chinese fs carbon frame came in and it does not seem to haveny where to secure my 142 TA in the rear. no thread to tighten. i havwent been able to find a dtswiss TA with and end cap. i have dt swiss e slpine 1900 wheel set and no axle came with the set or the bike. now im wondering how im supposed to secure my TA. so i need to buy a TA with an end cap or can i even use a different TA with my DT swiss hub.
    I used this FREE SHIPPING 12x142mm Rear thru axle quick release for MTB bike-in Bicycle Hubs from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    First ride on her new bike was a total success! We did 26.8 miles this afternoon and she loved it. Very very different style then her other bike which is a Yeti SB66. She says it felt like there was nothing under her, it felt extremely nimble and agile... I was dying towards the end of our ride and she was still barely sweating hehe. Total weight was 19.65 lbs after cutting the piece of fork steering tube. Very pleased with the project.... For all the high end parts that I put on the bike, the total cost was freaking cool! $2962.66

mtbr member
    Anyone have any experience with Carbonal? I'm looking at:

Venture SL 27.5er MTB Frame | Buy Online | Carbonality.com

Any recommendations on a 27.5 HT are welcome. I'm not super picky on the exact geo and weight, just more interested in a high level of confidence in the manufacturer and transaction experience.
    Asteroids do not concern me admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.

Less yap more braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by bucknejo View Post
    just more interested in a high level of confidence in the manufacturer and transaction experience.
    I'm pretty sure it's all the same stuff just different B2C businesses selling to you, the manufacturer probably doesn't want to deal with end users so does B2C sales.

Peter from XMCarbonspeed is semi active on the forum so you should probably talk to him if you want a good customer service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    HI Guys, im building a fm-156 fs frame with a RS monarch RT3 shock, anyone with the same frame-shock combo could tell me what bushingsdo i need for attach the shock to the frame, i guess ill need a couple of 22.2mm x 8 mm bushings kits (one per shock eye) but would like to be sure before i order it.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Wantax; 12-23-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: 22.2 not 22.8

mtbr member
    I can't give the specs since I went with a Fox shock, but I just measured things up and went to Real World Cyclings website and ordered up roller bearing. Super smooth.

The 156 is an awesome frame, you'll enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    It's 22.4mm and it's a tight fit ( I had to scrape some paint away) so don't go over. I have a dimension sheet that I found on one of these forums for the Dengfu fm156. it takes a bit of searching to find but worth it

Less yap more braaap
    I went with a 8x22mm (it's really 21.84mm) mount kit on my frame (the "AM/Enduro" frame that fits a 200x57 shock not yours that does 165x38).

Measured with a set of digital calipers my frame is somewhere between 21.8-22.2mm (on a cheaper set of +/- 0.1mm calipers). The fit of the shock on my bike is perfect as a drop in and doesn't creak or feel loose at all, it's actually shockingly silent compared to my old bike from 2003.

Eyelet size should be standard 12.7mm. Note I have the Monarch Plus RC3 I assume that they would keep tooling the same as much as they can across their lineup to reduce overhead costs so that should be the correct eyelet size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thank you guys for all your answers, you are awesome will post a picture of my build when i have it ready.

Merry xmas to all of you

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The wife is pretty happy with the build. very nice frame and paint job. So far, after a few rides, everything seems to be working great. Her first race is about a month and a half, so we'll see if the bike makes a difference hehe.

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-10258153_10207008531828521_2242622508014471968_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ok Guys , just finished my ip-156 build, all went fine during the building process, first quality frame, the weight of the bike is around 9.5 kilos, very light for a fs 27.5 bike (x1-xtr drive system, carbon seatpost , carbon handlebar, maxxis ikon 2.2 tires) formula r1 brakes and sram roam 50 wheels.

Went for a fast test loop of 10 miles and need to play a bit more with the shock pressure s (im around 125-130 lbs) and put 150psi in the monarch rt3, i think with a bit more of pressure will work better.

Just an small question, when i elevate the rear train holding the bike for the seatpost there is a small vertical play in the rear part, when the real wheel is touching the floor the play is not noticiable or when im riding the bike isnt also noticiable, dont know if this is normal in this fs system. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wantax View Post
    Just an small question, when i elevate the rear train holding the bike for the seatpost there is a small vertical play in the rear part, when the real wheel is touching the floor the play is not noticiable or when im riding the bike isnt also noticiable, dont know if this is normal in this fs system. Any ideas?
    There really shouldn't be any play in a good FS bike. Check your rear shock bushings. If it feels like the actual pivot points, see if they're properly tight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thank you michael for your answer

Checked the pivots as you suggested and the play is coming from the shock attachment to the fs system the bushings shocks are correct

I measured the frame before i bought the bushings (22.8*8mm) but seens that the screws that pass trought the shock eyes even when i tight them at 5-6 nw ( dont want to overtight them) doesnt provide enought force, they rotate even if i try to do it using my fingers and is what it giving me the play, it only happen in the eye near to the vertical tube the one near the front is fine

Tried to change the screw+ spacer with the one in the other eye but the measure is exactly the same.

So will try to find a couple of washers and see if they give a couple of extra mms for close the gap between the screws and the wall of the frame where they should contact for tight it correctly

Anyway could you guys confirm me that those screws should be tight to the frame and shouldnt rotate itself

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ok guys finally found and fixed the problem
    Last edited by Wantax; 01-08-2016 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Looks good. Have you had any issues with the bearings undoing themselves?in Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom - photo by Max-Black-Cycles - Pinkbike there is a shot of mine

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fin-S View Post
    So I got the frame. As expected they were really slow in actually shipping it but once the package registered in China on tracking it was here in 5 days. I should mention I asked Cherry every day about the progress and since it was delayed they threw in a free headset. USPS Priority Express International. I bought with "free shipping" but turns out $75 of the total cost was shipping, sweet. Arrived package very well with a protector between the dropouts. Build quality seems really good. I'm painting it but I have all the build kit here waiting.

Very pleased overall, if it was standard 1 month shipping I wouldn't be since they took so long to ship, but it was here so fast after shipment. I recommend Asian Cycle Express, so far.
    Very nice frame I spotted some time ago, actually I'm building a dually but this one still attract me.
    Can't wait to see you build!

If someone interested this frame is produced by CCL - Create Carbon Leader (big names shadow manufacturer), but actually their website is no longer reachable.

G
    Mr. Lurker
    What would be a carbon frame that is near 67-70 degree HA? I'm thinking carbon hardtail. Got some cash laying around, but not enough to buy a good bike, so maybe thought I would start building it. Could easily have it done in three months.

mtbr member
    Getting close with an aggro HT build from asiancyclexpress for my wife, just waiting on some backordered cranks ...

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-20160123_155044_zps0bosxrdm.jpg

-b

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I've ordered a 19" FM196 frame through xmcarbonspeed.com, but after talking to some other guys I'm starting to worry that this size might be to small (I'm 186cm tall). Do you guys know if xmcarbonspeed will pay shipping one of the ways if I want to send the 19" frame back, and order a 20.5" frame instead? After all, I did buy the 19" version because that was the one the seller recommended for me. Hope some of you guys might have some experience with this seller, and might be able to give me some feedback on what I should do.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Did you get the geometry diagram from Peter? (And i assume you mean cs-196, "fm" being another vendor) I would ask for the diagram and make some measurements against a bike you already have. I am slightly taller at 188cm and find the 20.5" perfect (sorry), best be sure before he ships you have right size ordered.

Great frame though still loving mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do mean the cs-196. I'm not sure about what diagram you mean? The geometry chart is available on their site. The thing is, that I'm totally new to the XC scenery. I've only ridden free ride oriented bikes earlier (DH, street etc.), so I have no experience, nor do I have a bike to compare with. But when comparing to Merida and their recommendations, the frame seems to be just fine in 19", so I'm really not sure what to think. One thing I don't know about the cs-196's ygeometry though, is the reach length. Do you know what it is for the different sizes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Did you get the geometry diagram from Peter? (And i assume you mean cs-196, "fm" being another vendor) I would ask for the diagram and make some measurements against a bike you already have. I am slightly taller at 188cm and find the 20.5" perfect (sorry), best be sure before he ships you have right size ordered.

Great frame though still loving mine.
    Also, the TT difference between the 19" and the 20.5" is only 1.5cm, seing as you are 2cm taller than me, shouldn't this be fine?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am running a short stem in I think 70mm, so 1.5cm can come out in the stem I would have thought. A few pages back there should be a pic of my bike if you want to see how much post and stem are exposed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by max black View Post
    Looks good. Have you had any issues with the bearings undoing themselves?in Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom - photo by Max-Black-Cycles - Pinkbike there is a shot of mine
    Hi mate, fellow Brit. What size shock did you put on yours.

Just ordered mine with custom paint.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I live in Ohio; hence my LOL comment. On another subject, I realized yesterday that Jenson sold me a 200x57 fox float with a .2 spacer in it. I took the spacer out yesterday to see if the frame could handle it and it can. Just a heads up for S7 builders.
    Hello, I just joined the forum. I want to know how's the S7 handling so far; any issues? I'm interested in having one too. Also, you mentioned that a 200 X 57 will fit; is it tight or just right? One more question: Will a 2.35 or 2.4 size tire fit nicely or tight? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm going to run a 160mm rear rotor, and I'm wondering if I need any mounting hardware (other than mounting bolts) when mounting the calliper to the frame? The frame is a CS-196, as mentioned some posts ago.
    Last edited by HaakonJohansen; 01-31-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Less yap more braaap
    Quote Originally Posted by max black View Post
    What rear mudguard/fender is that?

Quote Originally Posted by vwsurfbum View Post
    Hi mate, fellow Brit. What size shock did you put on yours.

Just ordered mine with custom paint.
    Should be a 200x51 shock but you can fit a 200x57 on it no problem (I got myself a 200x57 Monarch Plus Debonair and it's a beast).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That's what I was tempted with cheers

Pedal-worx racing

mtbr member
    Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-20160202_140700_zpswcmvic6i.jpg

And it's done, I think it turned out dope.

-b

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That is one sick looking rig. Awesome build, liking those Minion's

mtbr member
    May 2015
    What parts did you use? Man, your build is awesome. I love the gold touch! I am thinking of doing a similar build.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bryman78 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160202_140700_zpswcmvic6i.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	1047428

-b
    What parts did you use? Man, your build is awesome. I love the gold touch! I am thinking of doing a similar build.

mtbr member
    Thanks team. It's my first project bike, with the intent being to see what kind of damage I could do on a comfortable/capable trail package under $3k:

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-100_2332_zpsxa4zpg2s.jpg

It's a FM089 from asiancyclexpress/yishunbike, supposedly made at create carbon leader I saw somewhere else on here, size small/15"
    Carbon AM wheels 35mm outside 30mm inside from the same website
    2015 fox factory 34 stealth edition 160mm
    KS lev Ti 125mm
    x01 cranks with direct mount MRP 28T ring
    KMC x11 SL 11-speed gold
    sram RSC guides
    Minion DHR II (2.3) DHF (2.5)
    GX shifter, rear mech and cassette
    chromag juniper saddle
    I think that's about it. The chromag pedals are mine (rider uses spd/xt trail), cockpit from prior bike, Kore OCD 20 (cut to 760) and 50mm matching stem, troy lee grips

-b

mtbr member

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-100_2349_zpsbecg70gp.jpg

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-100_2348_zpsohr6z7py.jpg

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-100_2330_zpsfnbjiobb.jpg

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-100_2329_zpswp5pasdm.jpg

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition-100_2328_zpsreex5juz.jpg

Land of the 230+
    Gorgeous.

mtbr member

Race bike FS

Hi!

Thinking of building (vs buying a new Giant Anthem)
    FS race bike for a 24hr XC race I'm doing this summer...are there any frame suggestions?
    I read in the forum "wouldn't use Chinese carbon for anything rough"
    Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding durability?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi I used the MTBR forum to find and purchase two carbon frames from Xiamen. The first MTB purchase went well, but the second was a hassle. I didn't get my frame for months, although they were in a hurry to pressure me to pay up front and fast. Never told me it would take so long. Often it would take several emails to get a response.

Fast forward, I build the bike and ride it for less than 100 miles. I hit a bump and the seatpost slipped, cracking the seat tube. The seat tube curves around the tire, and narrows there. There's nothing in place if the seatpost slips to stop this damage from occurring. The frame is ruined, Xiamen ignores my emails. Horrible service.

If anyone knows someone at Xmiplay.com that might respond, I'd be happy to give it a try, but so far I've just lost money and a lot of labor.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by bryman78 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160202_140700_zpswcmvic6i.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	1047428

-b
    what length fork and whats the total weight? i was thinking about buying one of these frames
    first you get good, than you get fast

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintersux View Post
    Hi!

Thinking of building (vs buying a new Giant Anthem)
    FS race bike for a 24hr XC race I'm doing this summer...are there any frame suggestions?
    I read in the forum "wouldn't use Chinese carbon for anything rough"
    Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding durability?

Thanks!
    Ah, more than one issue here.

The frames are advertised as being Toray T700 or T800, that's Japanese carbon - built into a bike frame in China in a Chinese mold by Chinese craftsman.

There is cheaper imitation Chinese carbon around I believe, that is inferior - so then the question is what's the frame you buy made of?

My 20.5"/52cm hardtail 196SL frame from Carbon Speed is 1050g and advertised as T800. I bet some areas are T700... But I don't believe its cheaper Chinese carbon as I don't think you would get down to that weight for a large frame with it.

So are "people on the forum" saying frames made from Chinese carbon won't last? Or all Carbon frames made in China wont last? - can't be the latter as most the big name frames come from Chinese factories (same or different factories to the unbranded frames is yet another debate!)

All I can tell you is my frame is holding up fine, plenty of XC riding, but I don't "jump" it down big drops, I do hammer over a lot of roots, and of course you might weigh twice what I do, fit different components, use different tyres pressures or any number of variables and have a different experience...

Plenty long term reviews on here say the better name frames last. Search forums and you will find people who had a bad one or broke one.

Good luck

mtbr member
    It's a 160mm fork (I put my status above) and I don't know weight but it isn't really supposed to be a light build as you'll see from my tire choice, etc.

-b

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Flyxii FR-500, 501, or 502 owners, what's the widest rear tire you can fit? Looking to run maxxis ikon 2.35 on 26" Inner width rims (Nox Teo). If not flyxii, can anyone recommend a ccc frame that will run this wheel tire combo? Many thanks.

Land of the 230+
    On my fr502, I have the maxxis ardent 2.25 in the rear, and 2.4 up front on 23mm internal rims. I have do doubt the 2.4 would fit in the back with room to spare. I'm confident your 2.35s would fit on 26mm rims as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    On my fr502, I have the maxxis ardent 2.25 in the rear, and 2.4 up front on 23mm internal rims. I have do doubt the 2.4 would fit in the back with room to spare. I'm confident your 2.35s would fit on 26mm rims as well.
    Good stuff. I also emailed Flyxii and they said it should fit no problem. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My custom yellow ican S7 is on its way! Wheels are being built now.

Pedal-worx racing

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Pedal-worx racing

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hello,

Had anyone seen a chinese carbon frame that has the same or similar geo as the Saracen Mantra Pro?

Mantra-x-carbon-frame | Mantra | Trail | Mountain Bikes | Saracen Bikes

FRAME SIZES 15"

Seat Tube Length (mm) 381

Horizontal Toptube Length (mm) 580

Reach (mm) 401

Stack (mm) 586

Headtube Length (mm) 100

Head Angle 68

Seat Angle 73

Chanstay Length (mm) 425

BB Drop (mm) 30

Wheelbase Length (mm) 1,089

Thanks,

Miggy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

getting it out the box, then fitted the headset and forks.

then tried out the suspension again.

Waiting on Chelmer wheel builder now to let me know when hey will be ready. initially they forgot all about them :cry:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiggySawdust View Post
    Hello,

Had anyone seen a chinese carbon frame that has the same or similar geo as the Saracen Mantra Pro?

Mantra-x-carbon-frame | Mantra | Trail | Mountain Bikes | Saracen Bikes

FRAME SIZES 15"

Seat Tube Length (mm) 381

Horizontal Toptube Length (mm) 580

Reach (mm) 401

Stack (mm) 586

Headtube Length (mm) 100

Head Angle 68

Seat Angle 73

Chanstay Length (mm) 425

BB Drop (mm) 30

Wheelbase Length (mm) 1,089

Thanks,

Miggy
    Looking for the same thing, but 17 or 17.5" frame size.
    Asteroids do not concern me admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

getting it out the box, then fitted the headset and forks.

then tried out the suspension again.

Waiting on Chelmer wheel builder now to let me know when hey will be ready. initially they forgot all about them :cry:
    Hi,
    Looks great!
    What is the frame size? And how tall are you?
    Thanks,
    ChuckieG

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Its the 17.5" and i'm 5.10"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hello, looks very nice the Ican S7.
    I have several questions:
    1. How much is the frame?
    2 what dimensional rear shox that you may install? 3
    where you can buy?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I bought it direct from ican bikes.
    I paid 600 pounds and that includes postage and custom paint.
    The shock size is up a couple of posts, I have forgotten the size (too much wine and chocolate)

Pedal-worx racing

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I bought it direct from ican bikes.
    I paid 600 pounds and that includes postage and custom paint.
    The shock size is up a couple of posts, I have forgotten the size (too much wine and chocolate)

Pedal-worx racing
    Thanks for answering!This carbon frame is very nice! 600 pounds with the shipping included this very well, but I consulted the specifications of the frame, and say the rear shox is 200mm between eyes, I think it is a very small rear shox!
    Greetings from Spain!

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by javableak View Post
    Thanks for answering!This carbon frame is very nice! 600 pounds with the shipping included
    Seems kinda heavy for a carbon frame. but honestly those look really really nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hola!
    200 x 57 I think? It's more enduro than big hitting. I use a CCDB on mine

Pedal-worx racing

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    From Saturdays race (I know the forks are the wrong colour, I have a set of pikes in black on the way)

Pedal-worx racing

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 41