mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Chinese Carbon 650?

Has anyone turned their chinese carbon frame 26er into a 650b? I am trying to build a bike for my 12 year old who has adopted my 29er. I need to get my bike back and I think a carbon framed 650 might just be the ticket for his racing. Any opinions???

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    There's a few converted 26". 12 year old. Why not a 26" bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    There's a few converted 26". 12 year old. Why not a 26" bike?
    He loves my 29er - He is 5'3" and races I was thinking 650 might be a little lighter and more maneuverable while still rolling over the rocks and roots better than a 26. My goal is something in the 21 or 22lb range for XC racing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    BB height may be the problem for them? 26" converted to high and 29" converted to low.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Here's mine.

Rear clearance is not huge, but no issues even in thick mud.

Yes - the bb height increases over 26", but for my use no problem. Reduces pedal strikes
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Which frame is that?? Do you have the ebay user name?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulys_tx View Post
    Which frame is that?? Do you have the ebay user name?
    Purchased direct from this site 2 years ago. Can't remember which seller, but it was around $350 shipped.

Wholesale carbon frame - Buy Low Price carbon frame Lots on Aliexpress.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=paulys_tx;9070268]I was thinking 650 might be a little lighter and more maneuverable while still rolling over the rocks and roots better than a 26./QUOTE]

Not a big difference, if your using big volume and cushy 26" tires like Race King supersonic 2.2's. However there is a difference going from 26" Ra Ra to 650B Ra Ra.As long as you have a good quality carbon frame[ which should be cheap as chips these days] you will get a better ride than an alloy 29er. I converted a Merida FLX carbon hard tail and ride quality over tree roots was better than a Scott scale elite 29er.
    Even given that, a 26" or 650B should be faster for a 12 year old unless they have substantial leg strength. I'm finding as I get older I'm abandoning 29er bikes for xc racing in favor of a 26" 650B or B6 conversion. I still have good cardio but leg strength is dropping off.
    Those short sharp climbs on xc courses I ride are harder on a 29er. I need 12 speed not just 10. I'm up and down the gears all the time. Not so with 26" I push it accelerates. Even long smooth climbs take more effort[ backed up by a few watt meter logging reports I've seen by magazines]. Of course If they can make up time in the technical climbs and descents, then there's your 29er benefit.650b on the front makes a big difference in technical descents and cornering.
    Some of the older 26" stuff may have very steep head angles though. 650B can only help so much.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 03-07-2012 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Good info, that is the kind of comments I was hoping for!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Purchased direct from this site 2 years ago. Can't remember which seller, but it was around $350 shipped.

Wholesale carbon frame - Buy Low Price carbon frame Lots on Aliexpress.com
    Hey dwt, sweet rig! how much does it weigh built?!

do you trust that aliexpess site..? i need a new road frame to ha

thanks

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRFed_surfer View Post
    Hey dwt, sweet rig! how much does it weigh built?!
    24 lbs set up as 1X9 650b. About a pound heavier than it was @ 26"
    do you trust that aliexpess site..? i need a new road frame to ha
    Over the past 3 years, have purchased 1 mtn and 2 road frames from the site from different manufactuers. Zero problems receiving quick shipment; Ali holds your payment in escrow until you receive and inspect product and release funds; zero issues with quality.

Definitely recommend buying generic. Bad mojo buying counterfeit brand names.

Frames should be just another part a saavy consumer can buy and do a build at home if they have the ability. Virtually all carbon frames on the market whatever brand are made in China according to various spec. On Ali Express you can select geometry and carbon weaves, but other than that nothing special or fancy. Also, forget about warranty. Even if offered how could you enforce it? So it is not foolproof but at the price savings totally worth a shot IMO.

In fact, why not buy 5, save more, then sell 4 on eBay at a markup for your trouble? Yours cost you nada. Like selling drugs in college

Members who have read this thread: 0