Cheapest tapered 27.5 hardtail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheapest tapered 27.5 hardtail?

I'm looking for a super basic hardtail. I want something to putt around town on, and something for my girlfriend to ride the couple times a year she goes out.

I have a ton of spares, so the build spec doesnt really matter to me, but it needs to be tapered. And disc too, but I doubt anything tapered isnt disc. Travel isnt a big deal, 80-120 is just fine. Rear axle standard and spacing doesnt matter.

Considering all the spares I have, I figured id just build a frame up, but the frame-only options seem to greatly exceed the cost of an entire low end bike! I dont need something high end, its going to get tens of miles a year.

Anything stand out as a great value? Spec pitch is $499, but Id really rather not own a spec.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    What size do you need because it seems like most 27.5 hardtails are only in the smaller sizes? Trek Xcaliber for example.

mtbr member
    Look on eBay. There are some 27.5 frames there for under $400, and if you want to go real cheap, you can always get one of those cheap Chinese carbon frames. $190 on eBay as well.

mtbr member
    What about like an Octane-One from CRC? Sometimes NS eccentrics are on sale, those might fit your bill too.
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    I didnt realize how crazy cheap CRC has frames. I think I might just go that way. $212 for a slack bike in a size that works. Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Are you talking about the Octane One Prone? Very curious about it myself. Please post a review when you get it!

mtbr member
    I'll sell you my old Brand-X HT-01 for $100. Nothing wrong with it. Just moved to steel ;-)

CRC has pretty good prices on frames. Make sure to use all your spares, pretty hard to build a full(decent) bike for under $500 if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    A month ago I bought an REI co-op DRT 1.2. It's a simple basic 27.5 with discs and a tapered head tube. It was more expensive than the Specialized but the REI bike is about the most comfortable bike I've ridden, that's why I bought it. I did not like the Specialized when I rode it.