Mtbr

New question here. Carver Reba Travel Question

I recently bought a used Carver 69er in the XL frame, and I love the nimbleness and quickness of the bike, but I surprisingly feel stretched out on this bike(I'm 6'4"). Are any other owners running a shorter stem and/or a riser bar on there carver? My Carver has a 120mm stem and flat bar(on my XL GF Rig, this combo would work fine) Also, on the Reba, is anyone running 100mm on the Carver, and has anyone gone from 80mm to 100mm on the fork? Can anyone comment on the change in steering crispness, and the downhill stability on the Reba at 100mm? Finally, do you recommend that I keep the Reba at 80mm or convert it to 100mm? Thanks,

MaineMud
    Oct 2004

You can run either...

A Reba in 80 or 100mm. travel configuration will work fine. Our riders seem to be split about 60/40 in favor of the 80 mm. I think it depends where you ride. Where we are it's low speed technical rocks and roots, so 80 works, but there are plenty of really good riders running 100 mm. The 100 is more stable on the DH, but a little slower and harder to control in the twisty steep stuff, especially uphill.

Don't set it at 115 mm. According to RockShox, that is danger, danger, danger....

Best,

Davis Carver
    www.carverbikes.com

Quote Originally Posted by dbo43867
    I recently bought a used Carver 69er in the XL frame, and I love the nimbleness and quickness of the bike, but I surprisingly feel stretched out on this bike(I'm 6'4"). Are any other owners running a shorter stem and/or a riser bar on there carver? My Carver has a 120mm stem and flat bar(on my XL GF Rig, this combo would work fine) Also, on the Reba, is anyone running 100mm on the Carver, and has anyone gone from 80mm to 100mm on the fork? Can anyone comment on the change in steering crispness, and the downhill stability on the Reba at 100mm? Finally, do you recommend that I keep the Reba at 80mm or convert it to 100mm? Thanks,

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was wondering about doing the same thing, i have the large frame. I run a flat bar and 90mm stem(could be 100 actually!), climbing and steering are both good this way and i can easily pop the front up, when i had a riser bar on, both climbing and steering suffered ( wheelies on steep stuff, slower steering) so am a little worried the extra travel could have the same effect. Was considering upgrading to the Ti frame and wondered if the geometry could be tweaked to accomodate the 100mm travel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    As regards the reba set at 115, i used to have a psylo which i think is very similar (predecessor?) to the reba and at 115 it was rather scary, flexy/bendy/wobbly feeling!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I changed my Reba from 85 ( measure the travel air out it's that ), to 105mm on the Reba SL's the fork feels alot plusher, 85mm feels like your riding rigid almost, where as 100mm becomes a suspension fork, try it, not hard to swap back if you don't like it.

No flex noticed in 105mm, can't get to 115mm's sadly on the 29ers.

MaineMud
    Oct 2004

100 mm. option

Sure thing. We would just design the frame around a longer axle to crown measurement. The angles and effective top tube would be the same, but the head tube would be a bit higher (about 18 mm..). Same $1000.00 price, but you'd have to wait about 4 weeks for it..

Best,

Davis Carver
    www.carverbikes.com

Quote Originally Posted by earthskyouch20
    I was wondering about doing the same thing, i have the large frame. I run a flat bar and 90mm stem(could be 100 actually!), climbing and steering are both good this way and i can easily pop the front up, when i had a riser bar on, both climbing and steering suffered ( wheelies on steep stuff, slower steering) so am a little worried the extra travel could have the same effect. Was considering upgrading to the Ti frame and wondered if the geometry could be tweaked to accomodate the 100mm travel?

Members who have read this thread: 0