Carbon frame damage opinion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Carbon frame damage opinion

Hello,

Looking for some advice regarding a bit of damage to the carbon frame on my Propain Tyee and the carbon Zelvy rim. The frame is raw carbon, the damage is on the back of the seat tube, half way down. Itís a small gouge that exposes the fibres. The damage on the rim is only shallow and I canít see any fibres.

Iíve just bought the bike unseen, the damage wasnít visible in the photos but it was described as very good condition and only used for 2 months.

Is this damage worth worrying about?

Thanks,

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon frame damage opinion-95057632-f0cb-4802-a20d-9ac9c7218f2b.jpg  

Carbon frame damage opinion-e3c81f6a-380b-419c-919b-48d2d71cc246.jpg  

Carbon frame damage opinion-feabd4ae-7bdb-4000-bce5-ebad7f2d129b.jpg  

Last edited by macperc; 10-23-2019 at 12:28 PM.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Contact Calfee Designs for a professional opinion, one of the best in carbon repair.

EAT MORE GRIME
    the rim is ok smear some jbweld on that and smooth it out thin to prevent further issues

frame needs professional carbon repair

see this dudes page (and home page/video channel)
    https://www.instagram.com/luescher_teknik/

for all sorts of details on carbon flaws/repairs and especially how wrong it can be when not repaired right
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for the opinions, Iíve emailed Calfee. I was hoping I could do I diy repair with epoxy but donít want to take any risks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Hereís a couple more photos with flash:

Carbon frame damage opinion-8ab2855c-4b92-441c-bd14-38f3a3bb1e69.jpgCarbon frame damage opinion-b7936cd1-9b04-4082-8e1b-01671a3f0c67.jpg

EAT MORE GRIME
    I take back what I said about rim OK, it could easily be flared/split/delaminated internally

risky
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I don't like seeing straight line damage (crack/fracture) with carbon fiber stuff. It's usually an indicator of a pending fracture or failure point. Is there an indentation on the seat tube? If there's no impact damage, you might want to check with the frame manufacturer to see if it's covered under warranty. You never know.

Shame on the seller for not disclosing that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Yes thereís a designed indentation in the tube but no impact damage. It looks like a big rock has got jammed up there somehow Iím guessing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I would send that right back to the seller. Very good condition? I don't think so.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I would send that right back to the seller. Very good condition? I don't think so.
    My sentiments exactly... The seller was not upfront in disclosing the damage. If he's a standup person, he will either offer a discount or refund.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Yes I agree but it would need to be a big discount, Argos charge c.£450 to refinish a carbon frame let alone repair one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by macperc View Post
    Yes I agree but it would need to be a big discount, Argos charge c.£450 to refinish a carbon frame let alone repair one.
    Very true.

mtbr member
    Iíve just bought the bike unseen, the damage wasnít visible in the photos but it was described as very good condition and only use for 2 months.
    They lied to you to get your money. If you have any transaction insurance I'd start a claim.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Iíve opened a case now and received a (quite patronising) response from the seller suggesting Iím expecting too much from a bike with 2 months use and the frame damage is not significant. The bike also has play in the suspension bearings, a very rough headset and a rear tire full of cuts with sealant pouring out the holes! Apparently I was expecting too much from ďvery good conditionĒ. On further investigation, he sells loads of bikes on pinkbike, not great business sense! He has offered to replace the tyre (with a crap rock razor) and replace the rim but what use is that with a damaged frame?!

mtbr member
    He has offered to replace the tyre (with a crap rock razor) and replace the rim but what use is that with a damaged frame?!
    That's useless. Do whatever you can to get your money back and give him back that junk.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Either he buys/sells used bikes or fencing stolen stuff. Smells like fish to me.... get your $$ back.

mtbr member
    I'll just chime in to agree on gettin uyour money back asap, that's BS. I'd go a step further and call him out here and Pinkbike to spare others the same fate. Guys like this don't deserve a platform to sell stuff within the biking community.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    if tou use paypal, you should have no problems getting your money back! send them pictures and the original post from the seller they will definitely side with you

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Iíve shown Argos the damage and the frame does need a repair, not to mention the other issues. The seller has at last, reluctantly, agreed to take the bike back. I am very tempted to name and shame on here as heís been extremely difficult to deal with but I will give him a chance to do the right thing and refund me in full before I go any further.

mtbr member
    *fingers crossed* you get your money back. Get the $$ then you can deal with him publicly. Just giving your money back doesn't change the fact he is being a douche bag and will probably put that bike back up for sale as mint next week.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Hitching a ride
    Ahh yes, the ol "I pin-balled the frame off a cliff and through a rock garden but it's like new, only ridden 2 months" shtick. I assume everyone selling a bike is a scammer until proven otherwise.

mtbr member
    I would call him out publicly because if he did this to you, I'm sure he has done this before or will do it again.

mtbr member
    Damage doesn't look too bad to me.
    Superglue and baking soda and sand it back is a quick repair you can do for small damage.