Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

CAN'T DECIDE - 2014 Kona Process 134 or 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2. HELP!

Hey all,

Just joined this forum...looking forward to lots of great chats and discussions!

Here is my first question. I have an old Kona hardtail (2003 Kona nunu). I want a FS bike and am looking at the 2014 kona process 134 and giant trance 27.5 2. I need your help in deciding. The Kona is a few hundred more but has a dropper post. The Trance does not.

I am 40 yrs old 6'2" and about 175lbs. I live in Nova Scotia - so lots of rugged trails.

I do not do crazy stuff on my bike - no huge drops, but I do like technical trails. I do only a small bit of DH.

I have sat on both of these bikes. Seem great, but haven't ridden them yet and would only be able to ride them around a parking lot.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Looking forward to your posts!

mtbr member
    The Giant will have more efficient pedaling than the Kona. The DW link style suspension design is shared by a number of manufacturers and is very popular. Without you having ridden either of these bikes, you're going to have a tough time deciding, but you can't go wrong with pedaling efficiency. Both companies make great bikes however.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    The Giant will have more efficient pedaling than the Kona. The DW link style suspension design is shared by a number of manufacturers and is very popular. Without you having ridden either of these bikes, you're going to have a tough time deciding, but you can't go wrong with pedaling efficiency. Both companies make great bikes however.

That's what I was afraid of lol. The problem is even just driving around a parking lot isn't going to do too much.

The Kona feels heavier (I looked at them a few days apart, but that was my sense).

I love my Kona hardtail but taking that thing out isn't doing the aging back any favors.

Everyone says the giant suspension is tried and true wherea the kona is totally redesigned.

Are ytou saying it will be more efficient just based on weight or geometry?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    What do you enjoy doing more, climbing or descending. That'd make my decision.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    are the bikes that different? I guess the trails I'll be riding would have everything - climbs, technical stuff, flat, and descents. And being in Nova SCotia, it's not like I am out west where I am bombing down the Rocky mountains for miles. It'll be a mix of it all - up, down, flat, technical stuff, roots, rocks, etc)... so the bike needs to not just excel at one thing, but must do all of them well.

And like I said, I am coming from an 11 year old hardtail lol.

In terms of durability, does one brand have an edge. I recall Kona having a good rep for building bombproof bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    wow...all that marketing worked great on you

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    should I be including the Norco fluid 7.1 in this? It has 120mm travel whereas the others have 140mm up front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davemsc View Post
    should I be including the Norco fluid 7.1 in this? It has 120mm travel whereas the others have 140mm up front.
    Hi there,

You can't go wrong with either the Kona or the Giant. I wouldn't include the Fluid. It's an older and slightly dated design (which Norco has relegated to it's more budget offering for 2014). While the Kona and Giant have a bit more travel, they won't rob you of pedaling efficiency as they have been engineered for efficiency.

I would weigh in the additional factors to your decision making process, such as price, fit and spec.

Also, you might want to look at shops in your area that would have a demo bike that you can test ride. Many of the shops here in Vancouver offer a demo option where the rental price is deducted from the purchase price if you take the bike.

As for parts spec, if the price is similar, I think that you'll like the fork on the process a bit more out of the box, the revelation RC3 has more adjustments and a better damper than the fox 32 evolution (which is the base model with the simplest damper).

Furthermore, the Kona comes with a basic dropper post, which you will find useful in NS riding, where the terrain can vary significantly on the same trail. The Kona also has better brakes, which you will be thankful for down the road.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachid View Post
    Hi there,

You can't go wrong with either the Kona or the Giant. I wouldn't include the Fluid. It's an older and slightly dated design (which Norco has relegated to it's more budget offering for 2014). While the Kona and Giant have a bit more travel, they won't rob you of pedaling efficiency as they have been engineered for efficiency.

I would weigh in the additional factors to your decision making process, such as price, fit and spec.

Also, you might want to look at shops in your area that would have a demo bike that you can test ride. Many of the shops here in Vancouver offer a demo option where the rental price is deducted from the purchase price if you take the bike.

As for parts spec, if the price is similar, I think that you'll like the fork on the process a bit more out of the box, the revelation RC3 has more adjustments and a better damper than the fox 32 evolution (which is the base model with the simplest damper).

Furthermore, the Kona comes with a basic dropper post, which you will find useful in NS riding, where the terrain can vary significantly on the same trail. The Kona also has better brakes, which you will be thankful for down the road.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride.
    Hey Rachid...

since I am coming from an old xc setup, I have no idea what my riding position should be on a bike like these two, and I have no idea what components are better than others, so I'm going in blind and I hate relying on the salesmen to tell me that their bike is better.

So far no demos - I have asked.

As for forks, this is what comes on the Kona -RockShox Sektor Silver Air 140mm ....not the revelation. Again, no idea is that is better than the fox float 32 evo.

Thoughts?

Thanks man.

ps. I visited by buddy out in BC a few years ago in Nelson. Try biking out there with a stupid hardtail. I think I broke my back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, I was looking at the DL model. Which is a great bike

As for parts, the Fox might be better, I'm not overly familiar with the Sektor forks. You're definitely getting a better (read more durable) drive train with the Giant.

If you're in Halifax, you should also check out Ghost bikes at MEC, they are a good value, at 2100 you get a bike spec'd like the Giant (Ghost ASX 5500 Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available) and at 2400 you get a 29er variant (Ghost AMR 2955 Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available)

According to the websites, both bikes are around 2600. From a value perspective, I think that you're getting a better deal with the Giant, unless you step up a model to the Kona 134 DL.

As for relying on shop guys, try and find the oldest guy on the sales floor. If they know that you're committed, and the price is about the same, the sales guys shouldn't have any bias to lying to you or steering you the wrong way. I know that I trust the guys at my local bike shop.

Coming from a hard tail you'll find the FS bike a world of difference, and you back will thank you. I have both a steel 29er hard tail and an FS (160mm front, 140mm rear), and while I'd love to think that I'm a great hard tail rider, the reality is that I can go faster and am more comfortable on the FS bike in 95% of situations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachid View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at the DL model. Which is a great bike

As for parts, the Fox might be better, I'm not overly familiar with the Sektor forks. You're definitely getting a better (read more durable) drive train with the Giant.

If you're in Halifax, you should also check out Ghost bikes at MEC, they are a good value, at 2100 you get a bike spec'd like the Giant (Ghost ASX 5500 Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available) and at 2400 you get a 29er variant (Ghost AMR 2955 Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available)

According to the websites, both bikes are around 2600. From a value perspective, I think that you're getting a better deal with the Giant, unless you step up a model to the Kona 134 DL.

As for relying on shop guys, try and find the oldest guy on the sales floor. If they know that you're committed, and the price is about the same, the sales guys shouldn't have any bias to lying to you or steering you the wrong way. I know that I trust the guys at my local bike shop.

Coming from a hard tail you'll find the FS bike a world of difference, and you back will thank you. I have both a steel 29er hard tail and an FS (160mm front, 140mm rear), and while I'd love to think that I'm a great hard tail rider, the reality is that I can go faster and am more comfortable on the FS bike in 95% of situations.
    I thought you might be looking at the DL.....Can't afford that one.
    I am in the valley, about an hour from Halifax. I did take a look at the Ghost 5500. I hear they only have a 5yr warranty on the frame and I am just unfamiliar with that brand, but I beleive they are big in Europe.

Whether or not I'm influenced by marketing - I am sold on trying the 27.5". I love the feedback from my 26 and the only time I was on a 29 it was a ginat hardtail ($900 range) and I disliked it, so I'm hoping the 27.5 will do the trick.

the LBS here deals with Giant and Cyclesmith in the city deals with Kona (where I got my old one).

I was leaning towards Giant, but I needed to check out the Kona as I had 0 issues with the Kona I have.

It comes down to best bang for the buck without sacrficing ride quality, and it sounds like the Giant might be the way to go....

mtbr member
    That's what I was afraid of lol. The problem is even just driving around a parking lot isn't going to do too much.

The Kona feels heavier (I looked at them a few days apart, but that was my sense).

I love my Kona hardtail but taking that thing out isn't doing the aging back any favors.

Everyone says the giant suspension is tried and true wherea the kona is totally redesigned.

Are ytou saying it will be more efficient just based on weight or geometry?
    You might check out the suspension forums to find all of the technical details, but as a dw-link bike owner who's ridden just about every suspension design out there I can say I've not ridden a better design. I would also note that coming from a hardtail, I think you'll find the transition pretty natural.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The crew at Cyclesmith are good guys. I lived a couple of blocks form there one summer when I was in University, friend of mine, Anthony used to wrench there. He's in Ottawa now though.

Whatever you get, I'm sure that it will be fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    For what its worth, the process is sold out pretty much everywhere. And it has had nothing but rave reviews. And Kona has a lifetime warranty on their frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I own a Giant (29er) and have demo'd the new Process. Different feel in the rear - and I believe both are really, really good and well rounded. The simple new Process design works outrageously well - and better than most who like or prefer a dw link type sus may want to admit - both pedaling up and coming back down. I have not demoe'd the Giant - its on the list if a good opp presents itself - but that said the Kona is a top 2 bike (other is a Norco) - yet I wouldnt hesitate on the trance as it like the Kona and Norco is also gaining many a positive test review.

So many good bikes this year - 1st world choices are tough - no???

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, the Sektor is a pretty solid fork. It's a little basic, but it is not a bad performer. You can adjust the rebound and compression, 14ish clicks and 6 clicks respectively. Should you feel the need for a more sophisticated fork, you can drop in a new compression and/or rebound damper to basically make it a Revelation.

I have not ridden neither Kona nor Giant, but I have heard nothing but rave reviews for the Process line. The geo sounds fun, and it sounds like the suspension sounds good; good climber and descender. The fact that they are sold out also says something. Sounds like Kona got a winner.

Plenty of happy giant owners out there as well, but people are pretty stoked on the Konas. Can't really go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    THe only thing is I can't find many reviews on the specific 2014 Process I am looking at - the 134 (non DL)..and the specific 2014 trance for that matter (27.5 2)

I know either will be miles better than what I have - I just want to make the best choice for what I want to do with it (like I said, no crazy drops or bombin down mountains, just varied terrain with some technical stuff)...and something that doesn't feel like a 1000 pounds on flatland and climbs

I also don't know alot about forks. I have heard the sektor doesn't give much damping control....people seem to say the fox is better (both front and rear).

It really sucks I can't ride these things where I would be riding them before I choose one.....

I'm so out of the mountain bike loop since the last time I went looking was 2003 lol

I certainly am not a DH rider, so I am not needing a bike that is only mainly awesome at DH.

I am assuming both these bikes can take some punishment?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I live in Ont Canada, and you can't beat the pricing in Canada with the giant bikes, they are unbelievably priced. My old bike which I still own is a 2007 kona kikapu delux. It has been a great 0 problems. I just picked up a Giant Trance 1 in Dec and it blows my mind, absolutely unbelievable, it begs to be ridden hard. I really can't say enough good things about the bike, it really handles tight singletrack, to really steep short punchy climbs with ease and downhill forget about it. Most of our trails are tight steep, with plenty of rocks and roots, not a lot of open super fast downhill's though. I really wanted a bike that could climb rocky rooty steep climbs without losing traction, I could care less about speed, but if I can make it to the top of a killer tech climb and my buddies cant that is all that matters for bragging rights. I figure any decent rider can go downhill.
    I bought the Trance 1 because of the talus fork, slx brakes, and the droper post.
    I have not ridden any of the new Kona's so can't speak for them, I just wanted a change in brands, and Kona has had a few rough years around where I live not much dealer support left.
    I hope this helps good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    I spent over 3k on a Stumpjumper last year. My buddy has an Anthem 29er, which I would often ride. I sold my SJ, took a big lost, bought a Trance 3 and I'm very happy, event hough it's lower spec than the SJ, it just rides much more plush up and down the rugged New England forrest's I ride in. I've never thought I'd ever like a Giant, but the Anthem/Trance are truly great rides. The Kona is probably a great bike, it was more than my Trance, and besides the Maestro is very proven.

mtbr member
    THe only thing is I can't find many reviews on the specific 2014 Process I am looking at - the 134 (non DL)..and the specific 2014 trance for that matter (27.5 2)

I feel you on that. I am interested in the Konas, but you can poke around on the Kona sub-forum to check out the 134/134DL thread for a little more info. I'm sure there is something comparable on the Giant forum.

I know either will be miles better than what I have - I just want to make the best choice for what I want to do with it (like I said, no crazy drops or bombin down mountains, just varied terrain with some technical stuff)...and something that doesn't feel like a 1000 pounds on flatland and climbs

Either one should fit you fine! Like I've said, I haven't rode either, so this is pure speculation, but they both sound like good climbers. I hear good thing about the process, but the Maestro seems to have a solid reputation for climbing ability

I also don't know alot about forks. I have heard the sektor doesn't give much damping control....people seem to say the fox is better (both front and rear).

I haven't rode much more than a OEM Suntour fork, a better Suntour Raidon, and now a Sektor. Sektor blows them both away. The rebound could be more sophisticated ($50 dollar upgrade for the Revelation rebound dual flow damper) but the compression seems to be adequate (you can upgrade to and RLT damper, or RCT3 for a little more), and you'll have a Revelation fork. I have heard the lower end Fox offerings aren't great, but that's only hearsay from someone on here, so take it for what it is. Still probably not a bad choice. As you may be able to tell, I'm stoked on the Sektor and definitely biased towards it, if you couldn't tell haha

It really sucks I can't ride these things where I would be riding them before I choose one.....

That does suck. A lot of number crunching and e-speculation haha

I'm so out of the mountain bike loop since the last time I went looking was 2003 lol

Haha, I'm sure things have changed a little, no?

I certainly am not a DH rider, so I am not needing a bike that is only mainly awesome at DH.

Sounds like you're looking for a "trail" bike. Sounds like your niche in the hyper categorized world that is mountain bikes. Both choices seem to be good pedalers, as well as good on the downs and seem to fit within the "trail" category.

I am assuming both these bikes can take some punishment?
    Definitely, as long as you're not totally brutal on your bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    so this is a pretty close call then.

A few more questions if you guys have the patience

1. Pick one of the bikes based on the forks/shocks
    GIANT: fork - Fox 32 Float CTD Evolution, 140mm Travel w/ 15QR Thru-Axle, OverDrive 2 tapered steerer
    rear ShocK - Fox CTD Evolution

KONA:Rear Shock RockShox Monarch R
    Fork RockShox Sektor Silver Air 140mm QR15 Tapered

Also, pick one based on components....I have been told the Giant is the better BANG FOR YOUR BUCK based on all the above (except no dropper post)

thanks again.

GIANT msrp: $2399 with $200 store credit
    KONA msrp: $2699 nothing extra

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    I live in Ont Canada, and you can't beat the pricing in Canada with the giant bikes, they are unbelievably priced. My old bike which I still own is a 2007 kona kikapu delux. It has been a great 0 problems. I just picked up a Giant Trance 1 in Dec and it blows my mind, absolutely unbelievable, it begs to be ridden hard. I really can't say enough good things about the bike, it really handles tight singletrack, to really steep short punchy climbs with ease and downhill forget about it. Most of our trails are tight steep, with plenty of rocks and roots, not a lot of open super fast downhill's though. I really wanted a bike that could climb rocky rooty steep climbs without losing traction, I could care less about speed, but if I can make it to the top of a killer tech climb and my buddies cant that is all that matters for bragging rights. I figure any decent rider can go downhill.
    I bought the Trance 1 because of the talus fork, slx brakes, and the droper post.
    I have not ridden any of the new Kona's so can't speak for them, I just wanted a change in brands, and Kona has had a few rough years around where I live not much dealer support left.
    I hope this helps good luck and have fun!
    SOunds sweet! I just wonder how much of that can be applied to the Trance 2 though. I can't justify the $600 more for the trance 1....The trance 2 doesn't have a dropper post or talus fork....same geometry though I am guessing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    based on spec alone - the Giant seems the better "bang for the buck". Heck - I started a post on the Giant forum why the Trance 2 model is not avail in the US - as at that price - it would likely win my dollars and be prime for some upgrades and I'd likely come in under my budget - swapping fork for a 150 pike.

if the Kona werent probably the "game changing" line of bikes this year - it would be an easy decision - especially if based on the spec alone. I dont have any time on the Sektor fork - but as the OP stated - you could change the internals and its basically a revelation - just a bit heavier - and I would take a Rev over the low end evo Fox any day of the week.

Overdrive steerer is a proprietary format - which I dont know that there's any true proof its stiffer than the standard taper format the rest of the industry uses - easy to accommodate a swap to the standard taper forks - but as it is - if you stick with it, stems are less easy to swap if you want something from 3rd party vendors. A couple started to make em - but I rarely see em.

Again - I see you in a no lose situation on this one...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    based on spec alone - the Giant seems the better "bang for the buck". Heck - I started a post on the Giant forum why the Trance 2 model is not avail in the US - as at that price - it would likely win my dollars and be prime for some upgrades and I'd likely come in under my budget - swapping fork for a 150 pike.

if the Kona werent probably the "game changing" line of bikes this year - it would be an easy decision - especially if based on the spec alone. I dont have any time on the Sektor fork - but as the OP stated - you could change the internals and its basically a revelation - just a bit heavier - and I would take a Rev over the low end evo Fox any day of the week.

Overdrive steerer is a proprietary format - which I dont know that there's any true proof its stiffer than the standard taper format the rest of the industry uses - easy to accommodate a swap to the standard taper forks - but as it is - if you stick with it, stems are less easy to swap if you want something from 3rd party vendors. A couple started to make em - but I rarely see em.

Again - I see you in a no lose situation on this one...
    haha..fair enough.

As for upgrades etc, What I get on the bike is likely what I will be keeping as my budget is used up on the bikes as they are. And upgrading the RS, switching internal components - way beyond me I think. Is the fox fork bad on the giant?

I'm going to have to make the call on the bikes as is. I'm thinking Giant as it is $300 cheaper and I can get a $200 store credit for stuff like pedals, etc....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Which one looks sexier to your eyes, that I would choose.
    For me it is Giant trance, extra $300 in your pocket is a bonus.
    Good luck.😀😀

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    and giant trance 27.5 2.

Do they even make a Trance 27.5 2? It's not in the catalog that I have for 2014. Just Trance 1 and 3. I would like to see pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yup..2014 trance 27.5 2. It isn't available in the US though (I am up in Canada)

Check out the link

Trance 27.5 2 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Dave,

for the price, considering the credit, and the build. You'd be remiss not going with the Giant.

-Rachid

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    That is my thought. I just hope that fox fork on the front isn't a 2013 ctd as everyone and their dog complained about that fork. I certainly don't want to drop $2400 on a bike and then hate the fork...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yup..2014 trance 27.5 2. It isn't available in the US though (I am up in Canada)

Check out the link

Trance 27.5 2 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Canada

Well look at that! Sadly something we don't get, and your prices are cheaper too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've ridden both bikes on the same day. The Giant is lighter, has more travel, cheaper and has a much more advanced suspension design! Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was sold on the process 134DL/153DL, until I realized the seating position hurt my neck. Given that I liked the geo so much, the splurge purchase was going to be a warden. After I figured out that I needed 2 weeks of chiro work on my neck I went back to the Trance (Advanced SX) and love it.

If not for the neck issues I would have been riding one of the Kona's though, they are fantastic. The trance handlebar height is just a bit higher, which relieves a lot of stress on my neck.

Can't go wrong with either bike though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    interesting about the neck. I have some neck issues as well....

The trance sx advanced probably destroys the trance 2. I'm hoping the trance 2 will be ok as well.

Still that Kona is nagging at my mind lol. I might just have to say f**k it and buy one of them and at this point it is looking like the trance 2.

Next question - Is it worth the $600 to go up to the Trance 1 from the Trance 2?

mtbr member
    For $600 if you have it and your bike will see a lot of miles I'd do it. You get better brakes, drive-train and the dropper you wanted. See if you can work with your LBS to get a deal on the Trance 1 and maybe it'll be less. My co-worker just bought a Lust and was able to get 10% off on the deal. She absolutely loves her bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    haha..fair enough.

As for upgrades etc, What I get on the bike is likely what I will be keeping as my budget is used up on the bikes as they are. And upgrading the RS, switching internal components - way beyond me I think. Is the fox fork bad on the giant?

I'm going to have to make the call on the bikes as is. I'm thinking Giant as it is $300 cheaper and I can get a $200 store credit for stuff like pedals, etc....
    The forks are close to equal (RL RS vs Evo Fox), so in your pricepoint, plus the discount, the Trance 2 is hard to beat.

I'm also considering the Trance 2, since I prefer its stealth black to the Trance 1's colors, but as well as the dropper post, the 1 comes with better wheels, Talas fork, SLX brakes etc, so it has more than $600 in parts upgrades.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    When I received my Trance I called Fox about what model year the suspension was and they are the 2014 models so the improvements have been made over the 2013, so no worries.
    If you are getting $200 credit and the bike is cheaper I think the decision for me would be easy.
    I see you are now debating between the trance 1 or 2 let the back and forth tennis game begin. Fun stuff. If you get the store credit on the trance 1 it would only be a $400 upgrade. The talus fork for me has been a life saver on the super steep climbs.
    The one nice thing about the fox suspension is that it is super fast to set up and use, I really don't want to have to play with setting up my suspension I just want to ride, our summers are short.
    Good luck!

Good, green, Oregon.
    I have one ride on my 2014 Trance 27.5 1 and I love it. I'm coming from an Anthem 29er and this is just was I was hoping it would be. I'm in the US, so the 2 model wasn't an option. I liked the spec of the 1 better than the SX myself, and I of course know the 140/140 vs. 160/140 for travel. I just didn't see the real advantage to a higher priced bike (the SX) versus saving $500-$600 and getting the 1 model. Better brakes, drivetrain, etc. In addition, I wanted a 2x drivetrain as I have much climbing before I rip it down.

I have no doubts the Kona is a sweet ride, but I haven't ridden one. I won't make comparison comments I don't know, so I'll just leave it with the fact that I am super stoked on my Trance, and looking for some rides on it soon.
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

mtbr member
    Get the Giant and use the $300 saved on a seat post dropper. Win-win.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I've been going back and forth between the Trance and the Process as well. I was pretty surprised that my local Kona dealer actually has a size L Process 134 in stock, considering the supply issues.

I'm really drawn to the playfulness that everyone associates with the Process. I haven't read a single negative statement about how it rides. Components, weight... yes, people have gripes. But everyone seems to love the ride. With the Giant, most people seem to really like the ride as well, just maybe not as ecstatically. I'm looking for a bike I can learn to throw around more, ride more actively. Sounds like the Trance is probably good for that, but the Process might be great for that.

I'm also only able to ride them both in the parking lot.

p.s. I'm in the U.S., so if I went Trance it would be 1 or 3 build. I'd lean toward 3, and add a dropper, later upgrade. Not psyched about possible pricey Fox maintenance.

mtbr member
    For less money and $200 to the shop, the Giant isn't looking bad at all!

With that extra cash you could pick up a dropper (maybe you could get a deal through your dealer on a Giant post if you're dropping the cash for a new bike) or some other goodies. Or just walk away with a fatter wallet

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    When I received my Trance I called Fox about what model year the suspension was and they are the 2014 models so the improvements have been made over the 2013, so no worries.
    If you are getting $200 credit and the bike is cheaper I think the decision for me would be easy.
    I see you are now debating between the trance 1 or 2 let the back and forth tennis game begin. Fun stuff. If you get the store credit on the trance 1 it would only be a $400 upgrade. The talus fork for me has been a life saver on the super steep climbs.
    The one nice thing about the fox suspension is that it is super fast to set up and use, I really don't want to have to play with setting up my suspension I just want to ride, our summers are short.
    Good luck!
    I wonder if that statement about the fox fork on the trance 1 applies to all the fox forks on all the models (ie the fox fork on the trance 2)

I'm going to try and haggle to see if I can get a sweet deal on the 1. If not, I'm going 2. As many people mentioned here, I can play this game in my head all day - going back and forth between bikes and speculating which one is better. Both the giant and Kona are light years ahead of what I am riding now, so I will be happy either way I would think. I think the Giant will do more than what I need. The Kona probably does a bit more, but I might never reach that point.

This will be my last bike I buy as I am over 40 and had my old bike for 11 years.

Giant to the end! lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My new Devinci Troy has a fairly upright seated position even in the slack setting. Might be worth a look if the back is a big concern. Its a sick deal too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    My new Devinci Troy has a fairly upright seated position even in the slack setting. Might be worth a look if the back is a big concern. Its a sick deal too.
    DAmn you! LOL!

I actually saw this bike last night surfing around the web. Same pricepoint as the Trance 1.

I know nothing about Devinci other than they have a pretty good reputation.

That has a RS pike on the xp version correct?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Correct. Pretty smokin deal even with the aluminum kit. Remind me of your budget pls. The only reason I mention is Devinci does something very cool that I've never heard of with other companies. You can mix and match parts kits between frames. Case in point: the XP kit is msrp $2999. The alloy frame alone is $1899, the carbon frame is $2399. $500 difference. The rear shock for Devinci's purposes is part of the frame. The Alu frame comes with the monarch and the carbon with the factory float rp23 with kashima coat.

If you have the funds to do it, you can swap the carbon frame with the XP parts kit. The only up charge is the difference between the two frames($500). It's no skin off the dealer's back because Devinci's complete bikes show up to the shop completely broken down and have to be built up from scratch. I did exactly that XP carbon swap. $3500 msrp out the door for a carbon bike with a factory fox in the back, pike in the front and x7 drivetrain. I don't even know if Fezzari has a better deal than that. Plus Devinci has a lifetime warranty on their frames. I don't think anyone else does. Let me know if you're interested, and I can give you the contact info for my Devinci dealer. Super good guy and amazing customer service. Even if you go with the alloy frame, its a package that's tough to beat. Sorry to make your decision more complicated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Correct. Pretty smokin deal even with the aluminum kit. Remind me of your budget pls. The only reason I mention is Devinci does something very cool that I've never heard of with other companies. You can mix and match parts kits between frames. Case in point: the XP kit is msrp $2999. The alloy frame alone is $1899, the carbon frame is $2399. $500 difference. The rear shock for Devinci's purposes is part of the frame. The Alu frame comes with the monarch and the carbon with the factory float rp23 with kashima coat.

If you have the funds to do it, you can swap the carbon frame with the XP parts kit. The only up charge is the difference between the two frames($500). It's no skin off the dealer's back because Devinci's complete bikes show up to the shop completely broken down and have to be built up from scratch. I did exactly that XP carbon swap. $3500 msrp out the door for a carbon bike with a factory fox in the back, pike in the front and x7 drivetrain. I don't even know if Fezzari has a better deal than that. Plus Devinci has a lifetime warranty on their frames. I don't think anyone else does. Let me know if you're interested, and I can give you the contact info for my Devinci dealer. Super good guy and amazing customer service. Even if you go with the alloy frame, its a package that's tough to beat. Sorry to make your decision more complicated.

There's only one distributor even remotely close to me. I'm close to it this weekend so I can talk with them. My budget was $2500 but if I can get a good deal I can bring that up a bit..but not much..they might have to come meet me somewhere south of $3000.

Still leaning towards the trance...but this will be my last bike I look at before I pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    If you entertaining the Troy alloy XP, it is a great deal. You should be able to get it for less than msrp, which would get you closer to your budget. I've seen both frames in person and they're both sick looking.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Plus Devinci has a lifetime warranty on their frames. I don't think anyone else does.
    As far as I know, Giant does as well, to the original owner. Thankfully, I haven't had to use it. I will say, the Devinci bikes are so sweet looking. So is the Kona. So is the Norco. So is the ...... You get my point, and I think that is what you have been going through. So many nice rides, that it is hard to choose, and hard to go wrong. For me, Giant works because the dealer is in my town making it easy for service. They are great guys and friends, and I like supporting my local shop. For me, there were other factors involved, not just the bike itself. Again, I don't think you can go wrong, and I certainly haven't felt I've gone wrong with the Trance 27.5 1. Just follow up with us and let us know what you ended up with. Enjoy this process! Don't stress yourself out!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    As far as I know, Giant does as well, to the original owner. Thankfully, I haven't had to use it. I will say, the Devinci bikes are so sweet looking. So is the Kona. So is the Norco. So is the ...... You get my point, and I think that is what you have been going through. So many nice rides, that it is hard to choose, and hard to go wrong. For me, Giant works because the dealer is in my town making it easy for service. They are great guys and friends, and I like supporting my local shop. For me, there were other factors involved, not just the bike itself. Again, I don't think you can go wrong, and I certainly haven't felt I've gone wrong with the Trance 27.5 1. Just follow up with us and let us know what you ended up with. Enjoy this process! Don't stress yourself out!

Agreed

Giant is in my town, so that is a plus. I would love to give them my business since it is a smaller outfit, but the larger one the bigger city is offering the $200 store credit which I will have to go if the local one doesn't match it.

Most likely the Trance 2 is my future bike....I was looking at it today on my way to the dentist lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Agreed

Giant is in my town, so that is a plus. I would love to give them my business since it is a smaller outfit, but the larger one the bigger city is offering the $200 store credit which I will have to go if the local one doesn't match it.

Most likely the Trance 2 is my future bike....I was looking at it today on my way to the dentist lol

Oh, and Kona and Giant have lifetime warranties on the frames....

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Do they really? Its nice to hear other companies putting their money where their mouth is. One last pitch for the Devinci consideration. Admittedly its a shallow one. I've taken my new bike for two rides, and on both occasions it's turned heads and struck up conversations. Certainly a cool factor to stroke the ego. Personally I like riding a bike that I don't see a lot of. But that's just me, and again I know it's shallow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Do they really? Its nice to hear other companies putting their money where their mouth is. One last pitch for the Devinci consideration. Admittedly its a shallow one. I've taken my new bike for two rides, and on both occasions it's turned heads and struck up conversations. Certainly a cool factor to stroke the ego. Personally I like riding a bike that I don't see a lot of. But that's just me, and again I know it's shallow.
    haha...that is always a plus

It is a sweet lookin' ride. I am going to find out more this weekend or Monday on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have the 2014 Fox Fork w/ K on my Sight. Its butter. Take that concern out of the equation. Its a great fork.

I rode the Trance around my LBS the other day. Great bike. I've also spent some time with the new Anthem. The suspension on the Giant is remarkable.

I think everyone was so stoked on the reviews for the Konas because they weren't expecting much due to their history and the "inferior suspension" and their increased weight and then were pleasantly surprised. Reviewers expect a Giant to be, well..a Giant.

Can't go wrong either way. Did you consider a Norco Sight?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    I have the 2014 Fox Fork w/ K on my Sight. Its butter. Take that concern out of the equation. Its a great fork.

I rode the Trance around my LBS the other day. Great bike. I've also spent some time with the new Anthem. The suspension on the Giant is remarkable.

I think everyone was so stoked on the reviews for the Konas because they weren't expecting much due to their history and the "inferior suspension" and their increased weight and then were pleasantly surprised. Reviewers expect a Giant to be, well..a Giant.

Is yours the ctd fork? It was the 2013 fox float ctd that were all messed up. The specs on the sight dont say ctd for the front fork...

Looks like a sweet bike but the 7.1 is out of my price range....did you test the trance 2?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i've got a '14 CTD K on my advanced SX, fork is fn great. I've demo'd bikes w/ pikes as well, frankly I'm quick but not quick enough to care too much about the deltas. it's all about how you set it up. if I ever have concerns about my forks performance in a year or whatever, I'll push or avy it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yes, my Sight has the '14 CTD K.

I'm not sure the spec of the Trance, but I liked it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    was at a few bike stores around town and so far the Trance 2 seems like a great value. most FS mtbs at that price range have lesser components than the Trance 2 so now im town between the scott 740 or save some $ and pick up the trance2

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spena View Post
    was at a few bike stores around town and so far the Trance 2 seems like a great value. most FS mtbs at that price range have lesser components than the Trance 2 so now im town between the scott 740 or save some $ and pick up the trance2

Well finally decided. Going with the Trance 27.5 2 lg frame.

It's ordered an on its way:-)

Thanks for everyones input and thoughts. I cant believe it has been 11 years between bike purchases! This thing should take everything I will throw at it.

Super excited!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    well, I was super excited but then I keep reading how fox forks and shocks suck (at least at this level)....Again, if someone has any experience using thw 2014 fox 32 evolution ctd 140mm I would love to know.

I'm actually shocked at how many people are saying this fork is garbage (along with the rear shock). It's enough to make me reconsider.

I heard there is only 3 months warranty on the seals. Is that normal?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Don't always listen to what SOME people are saying Fox is the biggest mtb suspension supplier in the world they will always have a bull's eye on them. They make great stuff relax and enjoy your purchase.

Good, green, Oregon.
    I'm not worried. Mine (and yours) has the 2014 version on it, so as I understand, they took care of the issues the prior year's had. There are many people that like the CTD, and as mentioned above, it is a small sampling of people that are complaining of the total amount of owners.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    I'm not worried. Mine (and yours) has the 2014 version on it, so as I understand, they took care of the issues the prior year's had. There are many people that like the CTD, and as mentioned above, it is a small sampling of people that are complaining of the total amount of owners.
    giant owners shouldnt be worried since its comes with good warranty:

Lifetime warranty
    - Cyclotron Trainers (Frame and resistance unit)
    2 Year warranty
    - Computers (except handlebar mounting device which is 1 year, not including batteries)
    - Giant Contact and Giant Connect series products.
    - All Giant Wheelsystems
    1 Year warranty
    - All other products

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    well, I was super excited but then I keep reading how fox forks and shocks suck (at least at this level)....Again, if someone has any experience using thw 2014 fox 32 evolution ctd 140mm I would love to know.

I'm actually shocked at how many people are saying this fork is garbage (along with the rear shock). It's enough to make me reconsider.
    I have the same fork. It is great. Don't worry. If you are going to care so much about other's opinions then only listen to the people who have actually had time riding on this fork.

The 2014 is not the 2013. The 2014 is improved. It is, however, a 32. I have noticed that a lot of folks think a 32 fork is just another name for a noodle (and i bet a lot of them wouldn't be able to tel a 32 from a 34 during an appropriate trail ride). Yes, it's not a DH fork. It's also not a DH bike.

mtbr member

Re: CAN'T DECIDE - 2014 Kona Process 134 or 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2. HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post

Well. I'll ask. How do you like the Sight? Which year/model do you have? How capable is on when pointed down?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member

I heard there is only 3 months warranty on the seals. Is that normal?
    Stay stoked man! If the Fox stuff is comparable to the Sektor at this price point, I think you'll be quite happy. I have a Sektor RL and I'm totally stoked on it. Either way, I don't think you'll be let down and I highly doubt that the fork and shock will suck or be garbage. Enjoy the bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yeah the trance 3 has the sektor RL. This fox fork better be better than that one as it's on the bike model up from the 3

What bike do you have again?

I shoulds be getting it in a couple of weeks

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I guess one other question..

Based on the specs of the trance 27.5 2, is there anything that screams UPGRADE me? I can't afford to upgrade the fork so don't even say that

I'm assuming everything stock on this bike including the weaker brakes (Shimano BRm447 and M505) will do the trick on "normal" riding (i.e. no crazy downhill)

I almost forked over the $600 to get the trance 1 just so I wouldn't worry about upgrading later on and part of me still thinks the $600 to get the better brakes and fork and dropper post would have been worth it but I am hoping I don't need it.

So if there is anything in dire need of upgrading for normal riding, please suggest it.

Thanks all
    DAve

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    GIANT msrp: $2399 with $200 store credit
    KONA msrp: $2699 nothing extra
    Kona 134 (base model) is selling in Canada for $2295 ($2699 is the MSRP). Giant is already discounted (bigger company, more units, hence I suspect the store credit as the incentive to buy over the usual 10-15% discount you might get on a Norco, Rocky, or Kona--at least in Canada).

The Trance is nice bike too, to be honest all this bike comparison stuff (at these price points) is like comparing Kit-Kats to Coffee crisps*, one's not so much better than the other just perhaps a we bit more popular, and it ultimately comes down to taste.

Mind you Smarties > M&M > Reese's Pieces — always

* Eatmore >> Kit-Kat = Coffe crisp >>>> Big Turk

mtbr member
    Before you buy demo or rent each and take them out to your favorite test trails. If renting is the only option demand rental fees to be applied to purchase. If that can't be accommodated - look elsewhere to purchase.

mtbr member
    Yes, try and demo the bikes if possible and then decide. Get the one you like. I think you'll be happy with whatever you purchase.

I bought a Trance X2 29er last year. No regrets. I love the bike. Best bike I've ever owned.

* Ahh...just saw that you bought the Giant - good for you! Enjoy it!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Awesome choice Dave, I know that a few of the guys that work over at Bikes Plus have switched over to the new Trances with the 27.5 inch wheels, they're totally sold on the geometry of the new models. That's a sweet looking bike you ordered and it will be the perfect bike for the trails around Halifax and you'll get by no problem if you venture over to the steeper stuff in the Valley, Pictou, etc...

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

if i were you ,,do this,,,But a Santa Cruz Heckler,,27.5 ,,stans no tube wheels,,

Hey all,

Just joined this forum...looking forward to lots of great chats and discussions!

Here is my first question. I have an old Kona hardtail (2003 Kona nunu). I want a FS bike and am looking at the 2014 kona process 134 and giant trance 27.5 2. I need your help in deciding. The Kona is a

few hundred more but has a dropper post. The Trance does not.

I am 40 yrs old 6'2" and about 175lbs. I live in Nova Scotia - so lots of rugged trails.

I do not do crazy stuff on my bike - no huge drops, but I do like technical trails. I do only a small bit of DH.

I have sat on both of these bikes. Seem great, but haven't ridden them yet and would only be able to ride them around a parking lot.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Looking forward to your posts!

santa cruz,,Heckler,,,fitted with stans no tube 27.5 wheels,,,fox 160 fork,,Kasmar Shock,,fox,,,,this bike is not to expensive,,and it handles extremely well...,,fitted with Race Face Carb
    in fiber handle bars,,and crank,,,stiff,,strong and dam fun to ride,,,awesome,,,,,

EMBA Member
    My two on the short list was the Trek Remedy and the Trance. I bought the Trance 1 and I am so happy with it. With that geometry any thing will go down pretty good. But I am a trail rider, the more roots the better and this bike handles it perfectly. I was so stoked with how slow I could go in control. And when comes to climbing, it climbs like a goat; Like A Goat!!! A great bike at a mid range price. Slim

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm 6'4" 98kgs and ride a 2013 Giant Trance 29er. Its the best bike I've ever ridden with the maestro suspension too brilliant for words and its price point making the 'top' end bikes pricing unjustifiable. Kona have always made good strong bikes and I have fond memories from the past but the Trance will have you completely entranced.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sbchisholm View Post
    Awesome choice Dave, I know that a few of the guys that work over at Bikes Plus have switched over to the new Trances with the 27.5 inch wheels, they're totally sold on the geometry of the new models. That's a sweet looking bike you ordered and it will be the perfect bike for the trails around Halifax and you'll get by no problem if you venture over to the steeper stuff in the Valley, Pictou, etc...

Cheers!
    Are you local? I live in New Minas right now but am from Halifax

I ordered the large and there is some debate on whether I fit a large or xl (6'2" with about a 34" inseam)

My old hardtail was a bit small (19" frmae) so I don't want to make the same mistake.

I was on a large trance 2 the other day - felt ok, but the thing is I have no experience on how I should feel on this type of bike and that is the problem. The guys said the large seemed ok, but there are others saying with my height and inseam that an xl is needed.

I'm pretty excited to get it - I just hope I got the size right!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Dave, sit on a L and then an XL, then back again. Forget what anyone says except how comfortable you feel. Don't forget you're buying a trail bike so comfort is key. If you're concerned that you might make a mistake buying a Trance instead of the Kona don't worry there'll be a queue ready to take the Trance off you. Sure the wheel size is different from that which I ride but I've heard that its only improved the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormf View Post
    Dave, sit on a L and then an XL, then back again. Forget what anyone says except how comfortable you feel. Don't forget you're buying a trail bike so comfort is key. If you're concerned that you might make a mistake buying a Trance instead of the Kona don't worry there'll be a queue ready to take the Trance off you. Sure the wheel size is different from that which I ride but I've heard that its only improved the bike.
    That would be the plan if anyone had an xl for me to sit on. With the large, I'm more upright than I am used to but that is to be expected coming from a xc bike.

I guess that's why I'm relying on the lbs peeps to give me feedback.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well, going in today to pick up my Trance 2. the LBS said if the size is off no big deal, they'll get a xl in.

Pretty excited!!!! My first new bike in over a decade!

I am already getting the itch to upgrade components lol - gotta resist that for a while!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    nice, enjoy! I have a 3 and it is a great bike. I have been swapping out components as I go. Overall you will be happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    we're all waiting .......

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fre3ud View Post
    we're all waiting .......
    Ordered the trance 2 :-)

mtbr memeber
    Quote Originally Posted by davemsc
    Ordered the trance 2 :-)
    Waiting for a ride report...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You'll be waiting a while It's -15 degrees celcius with a crap load of snow here

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You'll be waiting a while It's -15 degrees celcius with a crap load of snow here
    any pics until its all used & abused?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    When I get my hands on it, I'll definitely post some pics!

mtbr memeber
    Quote Originally Posted by davemsc
    While the news is clear about weather around the country, it's easy to forget in the San Francisco bay area where this weekend, thin single layer long sleeves and pants were almost too warm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jpre View Post
    While the news is clear about weather around the country, it's easy to forget in the San Francisco bay area where this weekend, thin single layer long sleeves and pants were almost too warm.

grrr. To quote Darth Vader - "Don't make me destroy you." lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
    Kona 134 (base model) is selling in Canada for $2295 ($2699 is the MSRP). Giant is already discounted (bigger company, more units, hence I suspect the store credit as the incentive to buy over the usual 10-15% discount you might get on a Norco, Rocky, or Kona--at least in Canada).

The Trance is nice bike too, to be honest all this bike comparison stuff (at these price points) is like comparing Kit-Kats to Coffee crisps*, one's not so much better than the other just perhaps a we bit more popular, and it ultimately comes down to taste.

Mind you Smarties > M&M > Reese's Pieces — always

* Eatmore >> Kit-Kat = Coffe crisp >>>> Big Turk
    Where can one fine the base Kona 134 Process 27.5 for $2295???? I can buy one for my son now but price is 2500, and we are debating saving the $100 and getting the Giant. We are have the same challenge deciding on one of these 2. He has ridden both and liked both, Anything saved can be put towards some new gear he needs, like hemet and a neck brace. We are in the Lower Mainland Vancouver area riding the North Shore regularly. Both of these are great bikes, The Giant is 2399 and does not seem like anyone will drop there price. Need to find out who else sells Giants in the Vancouver area besides Caps as they are too big to deal with.

Appreciate any feedback.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well son decided to go with the Trance 27.5 2, paid $2150 ca plus the one tax.

A few parts a step better, end cost was the factor as we paid just $100 more than the Kona w the tax but he got full face helmet, pedals he wanted , a nice pair of bike shorts and a pump w gauge for the shocks. Pretty stoked!
    Last edited by cisco kidd; 03-22-2014 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I think the forks are the same size no?

They wouldnt budge on the trance 2 price but dud give me $200 store credit....so not too bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I think the forks are the same size no?

They wouldnt budge on the trance 2 price but dud give me $200 store credit....so not too bad.
    yep you are correct. feedback we also got was the rebound/dampening is better on the Trance 2. Our son is very happy with it , he has been bombing downhill with it and loves the lightness, it may force me to update my 2000 Rocky Mountain Vapour with Rock Shock seat!!

Our total money spent was 2700ca w tax including a nice set of pedals , shock pump w gauge, riding shorts and a nice full face helmet. Its alot to shell out but he will have it for a while and he will recoup some of his funds with the sale of his Element

How are you enjoying the bike, it sure is nice

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Haha I camr from a 10 yr old hardtail.
    I must have read your post too fast..I thought you got the kona.

I dont have it in my hands yet. When I get to my LBS we have to make sure the size is ok...I am prob right in the midle of l and xl

Hmmm I should get a digital gauge. .forgot about that.

How does he like it. We are getting 40cm of snow wed so really there is no rush for me lol

Nevermind..just saw your other post. Killer deal. Better than mine. Where areyou ...Alberta?

mtbr member
    I just received my 134DL large a couple of days ago. I couldn't be more happier !! I spent more than what I wanted to (the base 134 would have the type of money I would like to spend)but, I love the blue much more than the yellow/orange color, and I wont have to WANT to upgrade for a while. Well, besides a little bling (spank spike).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cisco kidd View Post
    Where can one fine the base Kona 134 Process 27.5 for $2295???? I can buy one for my son now but price is 2500, and we are debating saving the $100 and getting the Giant. We are have the same challenge deciding on one of these 2. He has ridden both and liked both, Anything saved can be put towards some new gear he needs, like hemet and a neck brace. We are in the Lower Mainland Vancouver area riding the North Shore regularly. Both of these are great bikes, The Giant is 2399 and does not seem like anyone will drop there price. Need to find out who else sells Giants in the Vancouver area besides Caps as they are too big to deal with.

Appreciate any feedback.
    In Vancouver, try Jubilee (Burnaby) or Cove (North Vancouver) for Kona — Jubilee had the 134 on sale—extended January sale (topnotch guys, I bet if you ask they may honour the earlier sale price)... and Cove will offer you a discount too. Kinetik in Coquitlam has Kona (but I'm not sure what their stock is, some deals on Rockys and Yetis though).

I would avoid Caps Burnaby/Coquitlam/Port Moody/Maple Ridge — kids in the store are great, but the store is very (I'm trying to be polite here) very business oriented. Lots of other great shops in Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Moody I would visit first.

Different Bikes, Vancouver Kits carries Giant, (they've other stores N. Van, W. Van, Van. not sure they all carry Giant but they would get one for you I expect) I don't think I have ever been offered a bike that wasn't 10% below MSRP (I don't have my book at hand so I'm not sure what the mark up is on Giant, but I suspect you might not get as big a discount (but for something over $2k, 15% is pretty common, 20% if end of season is a normal clearout, and if you work in a store....), but if you are a regular, and show interest in returning and using the shops services you will get a better discount, I've seen bigger discounts when people offer cash too). Steeds in NVan also carries Giant, also a great shop.
    Last edited by Sk8r; 03-25-2014 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Is there no Trance 27.5 2 in the U.S.? All I can find is the 27.5 3 and 27.5 1 on the Giant U.S site. Kind of disappointing there isn't something in between.

mtbr member
    I own 134... It's the shiz - have also ridden trance... kona rear sus doesn't bob under traction (climbing/stomping) both eat up descents - kona is definitely more fun... trance apparently is difficult to upgrade fork on... extra bits needed. my biased opinion, go for the kona :-)

Sent from my i9100 Warbird
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    good luck purchasing the Kona, the Process line up for the most part has been sold out. I had to get on an "oversold" list and wait for someone to cancel to get a large Kona Process 111 Frame, i know they have been having similar issues with the 134 and 153. I have ridden the 111 and the 134 both are great bikes and both climb very well. They are no XC race bikes but they will get you to the top and keep a smile on your face the entire time. I have only been riding my 111 for 2 weeks now and managed to get out about 8 times since and i am already seeing quite the difference in my riding. the long front to center make this bike great on steep downs, and the short chain stays make it playful. as for climbing it took some getting use to but i enjoy how it does it now, perfect for the New England rock gardens i hit on my rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    just to add to my comment of the process being sold out, this doesn't mean you will not find one at a dealers shop. But Kona themselves is having a hard time keeping up with there orders. My local Dealer has 2 base models in now, and one DL of the 134's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Does anyone have any info on possibly putting a Pike 150mm up front on the process 134? it would drop the HA to 67.5? and bring the BB up a bit? I'm into looking for a new bike and have been really wanting a pike... but i feel like the 153 will just bee too much bike for me and the trails i ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by friedhouse View Post
    Does anyone have any info on possibly putting a Pike 150mm up front on the process 134? it would drop the HA to 67.5? and bring the BB up a bit? I'm into looking for a new bike and have been really wanting a pike... but i feel like the 153 will just bee too much bike for me and the trails i ride.
    if I had the money right now... I'd get a 140mm BOS deville...

one day ^^

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Well went to get the Trance 2....Got it all set up and since that was the first time they saw me on the large frame, they wasnt an XL ordered as well to see if it might figt a bit better..so still no bike

As for people saying I should have bought Kona, trust me, both of the bikes will be soo muich better than what I have. I haven't heard any real negatives about the trance 2 so I'm not too worried But I have heard good things about both

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast