mtbr member

Cannondale Taurine 650B

Ran outa housing so no front der. yet. Taking off the bar ends and replacing the rotor cranks with XTs would bring this bike real close to 22lbs without pedals. 24 as it sits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rule of thumb- 1 Lb. costs 2 sec. per mile of climb

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    awesome! any chance of a pic of the clearance on both front and back after your superb tyre modifications!

mtbr member
    Tough to get a pic of clearance at side knobs but Ill try.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Great Job!

Now get out and ride it so that you can give us a full report!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Now get out and ride it so that you can give us a full report!
    Okeedoke, Soon as ya get us some snowtires.

mtbr member
    This will be my race bike this coming season so I hope we get some race tires by then! Kirk ......

mtbr member
    Freakin Sweet! I love Taurines. That could be built up with a lefty also.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisty
    ... would bring this bike real close to 22lbs without pedals.
    Kinda hard to ride without pedals, isn't it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    Freakin Sweet! I love Taurines. That could be built up with a lefty also.
    I had the wheelset already built and the fox offers a lower a-c but i thought about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Speeder
    Kinda hard to ride without pedals, isn't it?
    Yeah no doubt lol. Just that most weights are posted without pedals zall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

650b for the headshok?

Does anyone know if the Headshok has enough clearance for a 650b? I've also got a Taurine and am interested in trying out the bigger wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BouncingSoul33
    Does anyone know if the Headshok has enough clearance for a 650b? I've also got a Taurine and am interested in trying out the bigger wheels.
    Easy enough to measure. Put a 3/8 bolt or whatever across the fork legs and measure from its center to the arch. Anything more than 352mm is clearance.

nothing relevant to say

Negative

Quote Originally Posted by BouncingSoul33
    The Neo Moto hits the schrader valve on the bottom of the crown of HS.

mtbr member

Ride report

Definately the cats jammies for fast XC. Much faster and more nimble in the tight stuff than a 9er. Good endo resistance. Much better in the rough stuff than a sixer. I think this is definately THE perfect size wheel for an XC race bike. Seems that as the years go bye and the technology advances, xc race courses have gotten more techy and the 27.5 steps up to the plate. On the other hand there are some dastardly (long;rough) courses where I will be using my FS 29 for an edge. In my own conclusion, the 26er is a thing of the past for xc.

mtbr member
    Yeah lets get some clearance pics! Where did you score the wheels from?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Why did you have to post this? I had pretty much decided to switch from a hard tail 26 to a Giant Anthem and now I am all screwed up AGAIN. I know that race tires are in the making, but does anyone (Kirk?) know when we can expect them to be available?

Fisty, is your Fox fork 80 or 100mm? Thanks.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Why did you have to post this? I had pretty much decided to switch from a hard tail 26 to a Giant Anthem and now I am all screwed up AGAIN. I know that race tires are in the making, but does anyone (Kirk?) know when we can expect them to be available?

June / July

mtbr member

100mm

mtbr member

Taurine ride report

Wow! This thing rox. The bike is very noticeably better in the rough stuff with the 650s. Though it isnt as smooth as 29er wheels, it certainly is a definate improvement over 26" wheels and way way better in the tight stuff than the 2niner. Best thing is the climbing though. The 26er stays with a 27five wheel makes seated climbing rock solid. When I stand to pedal, Ive had to retrain myself to keep my weight back. Im definitely cleaning steeper climbs. This IS a killer xc race bike. I have made a few changes, swapping out the rotor cranks for XTs and running a wide bar. Im thinkin bout goin weightweenie on it p.s. I want my Quasis!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nice! I'm thinking about possibly converting my Cannondale Furio into a 650B platform. Though I'm currently running a Lefty, so that may get a little tricky. Fisty, how heavy are your current wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamic213
    Nice! I'm thinking about possibly converting my Cannondale Furio into a 650B platform. Though I'm currently running a Lefty, so that may get a little tricky. Fisty, how heavy are your current wheels?
    I never weighed them. I usually do but.... I had MikeSee build them with swiss 240s so purdy light. Im thinkin bout the stans rims but im 190lbs. and I HATE flexy wheels! i gotta call and talk to them 1st and maybe MC too.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisty
    I never weighed them. I usually do but.... I had MikeSee build them with swiss 240s so purdy light. Im thinkin bout the stans rims but im 190lbs. and I HATE flexy wheels! i gotta call and talk to them 1st and maybe MC too.
    I built a 650b Stan's for the front of my Rush and it is very stiff. I am almost as heavy as you. It is all in the build IOW the spokes you use. I didn't build it stuper light but at 700g it is still race worthy and did I say super stiff.

Most of the flex you have in a wheel is from the side of the wheel with the least offset. That is why Mavic designs their rear wheels with radial spokes on the drive side - to stiffen the wheel. BTW, the new Mavic 26" SLR Lefty wheel weighs the same as my Stan's 650b wheel and my wheel is WAY stiffer laterally.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey Fisty. Can you give us an update? How was it racing the Taurine with 650b wheels?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I used to have one of those ... Nice bike! But mine cracked under the down tube, by the BB for no apparent reason during a race...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Did you get the frame replaced? was the bike setup with 650b?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh yeah, c/dale are great like that.. warranty any frame even when raced. Was set-up 26" not 650b

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    The Neo Moto hits the schrader valve on the bottom of the crown of HS.
    Any way to get around this problem on the headshock?

Sorta pathetic when I have to reply to my own question... Anyway; never mind, I've come to grips with the fact I'd be much happier on a full suspension race bike next year as opposed to a hardtail (even a nice one).
    Last edited by el-cid; 11-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i know this thread is really old, but i wanted to add my 650b taurine. i was inspired by the singlespeed 650b flash on the beer components site (beercomponents.com/?p=258) and on various threads on mtbr. i haven't really found a good 29er that i like the fit and feel of (maybe i'm not tall enough?), but this bike is a good middle ground. i really noticed the higher BB at first, but i think i've gotten used to it.

the stans crest and pacenti tire combo works pretty well, but i kinda wish i had gone with the knobbier neo-moto on the rear as well since there is room for it and the quasi-moto is pretty sparse.

erg, i can't post photos yet, but here are some photos elsewhere
    farm7.static.flickr.com/6055/6293309472_cc4d02c9e3_z.jpg
    farm7.static.flickr.com/6019/6292787949_2ff81e4f95_z.jpg
    farm7.static.flickr.com/6217/6293313654_a12d1f8dca_z.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by padelsbach View Post
    i know this thread is really old, but i wanted to add my 650b taurine. i was inspired by the singlespeed 650b flash on the beer components site (beercomponents.com/?p=258) and on various threads on mtbr. i haven't really found a good 29er that i like the fit and feel of (maybe i'm not tall enough?), but this bike is a good middle ground. i really noticed the higher BB at first, but i think i've gotten used to it.

the stans crest and pacenti tire combo works pretty well, but i kinda wish i had gone with the knobbier neo-moto on the rear as well since there is room for it and the quasi-moto is pretty sparse.

erg, i can't post photos yet, but here are some photos elsewhere
    farm7.static.flickr.com/6055/6293309472_cc4d02c9e3_z.jpg
    farm7.static.flickr.com/6019/6292787949_2ff81e4f95_z.jpg
    farm7.static.flickr.com/6217/6293313654_a12d1f8dca_z.jpg

Looks pretty sweet!
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Very very nice!!!

The only thing that could make it better would be a BB30 adapter and a spiderless cog from Homebrewed.

Give the Quasi some time and I think you'll warm up to it nicely. It is one of my favorite rear tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Q: any updates on how this worked for you? Specifically interested in handling issues and rear tire clearance. How much clearance is enough?

I realize this is a thread ressurection, but can't send a PM or email due to post count :-/

NCtrailrider
    Jan 2012
    Let's resurrect it. I recently purchased a 2007 that I plan to build up as a 650b..... I will post updates as I progress. Plan to use a SID 100mm fork.

Curious to hear anyone's recent experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Taurine 650B-taurine.jpg  

Last edited by edndusty; 01-24-2013 at 05:45 PM.

NCtrailrider
    Jan 2012
    Have been riding this 650b conversion for a few months now and don't want to ride any of my other bikes. This is a great bike and add the new hoops and I love it.

The rear tire clearance is tight and I had to trim the side knobs a bit in the rear on a WTB Wolverine 2.2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Taurine 650B-taurine-rearb.jpg  

Cannondale Taurine 650B-taurine-rearb1.jpg  

Cannondale Taurine 650B-taurine-rearb2.jpg  

Cannondale Taurine 650B-taurine-terralogic.jpg  

Cannondale Taurine 650B-taurine-terralogic1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My contribution:
    Waltworks - modified Headshok, Racing Ralph 2.25 front, Rocket Ron 2.1 rear, Stans. Mostly stock except for the old Magura brakes. 21.4lb, size medium. ~5mm clearance to the chainstays at the side knobs.

Bought the bike new, fast but the very stiff frame and small wheels required a bmx style to ride fast. Asked Walt to make up the fork and slow down the geometry. Requirement was the fork had to be as rigid/precise as a Lefty.

Rode it for while as a B26. Big improvement over stock, but the geometry put more weight on the rear tire. Climbing was improved but noticeably high drag and arrester-hook on obstacles if insufficient pull-up on the pedals.

I was told that the 27.5 front would be a much bigger change than the rear tire. IMO the rear tire is a bigger change than the front, at least on a hard tail.

Just converted to full 27.5" and I'm very impressed. Walt nailed the geometry. The bike rolls way better. And it's much more fun to ride, which is the whole point, right?

Great bike and I'm not shopping for 29ers anymore. Just need to stock up on tires.

pics:
    Cannondale Taurine 650B-img_0524.jpgCannondale Taurine 650B-img_0515.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 1