mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Cannondale F-Si Vs. Ritchey P 650b

How would these two bikes compare to each other for a small woman and small frame with the exact same components. I tried to read up on geometry differences and couldn't figure out how they might ride differently.

I have been riding the Cannonade F-Si aluminum the last few weeks and despite not wanting to like it, it has grown on me. In the meantime I am building up a Ritchey 650b. I rode a tester and actually did not like it, but the components were different. It did not feel as nimble and the frame actually feels stiffer than the aluminum Cannondale which surprises me. I am just starting mountain biking again and always rode steel before and wanted to feel really connected to my bike. Primary riding is singletrack in California and Oregon.

Ritchey: http://ritcheylogic.com/media/wysiwy...try-P-650b.pdf

Cannondale: F-Si Women's 1 Cannondale

Sneaker man
    Yeah it's not 1992 any more, the aluminium/steel stiffness thing has moved way past that. Since Your building the Ritchey up from a frame, and thats not the same build as the one you rode, you won't really have the feel for it until you ride the one you're building. The seems the ritchey (not sure which sizes you are in each, guess small and small)longer in reach, lower in stack and has a steeper HT (by a 1/2 degree).
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I just wanted to check back in and provide an update now that I have finished the Ritchey build and been on a few rides. Due to budget I went rigid up front and went with cheaper wheels/tires, but generally speaking the component levels are the same between the two bikes. Whether it's the fork, tires or the frame I just do not love the Ritchey yet. I find the frame doesn't seem to really flex and dig through corners and generally requires a lot more active management even in smooth sections.

Since the geometry seems pretty close is it safe to assume that with minor tweaks I can get the Ritchey to handle like the Cannondale? I can't keep both.

Anyway, happy to have the bike built and still proud of how it turned out.

Cannondale F-Si Vs. Ritchey P 650b-ritchey_wilder.jpg

Sneaker man
    from memory from before and without looking at the specs they were quite different in geometry...as much as I'd prefer to ride a ritchey over a cannondale(nothing against cannondale, i just think ritcheys are cooler), you could try fiddling with parts and you may or may not get it feeling more like the 'dale, or better... or it may never be as good... i'd go with the cannondale.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    That is exactly my dilemma The Ritchey is just cooler and in spirit fits what I was looking for. I wanted a nimble bike with old school charm that may not be the fastest, but was fun to ride. I didn't want to like the Cannondale it felt more solid and confidence inspiring. I know it isn't the suspension because I always rode the Dale with the suspension locked out and saw almost no travel based on the elastic band around the fork.

I ended up returning the Cannondale (though I can always buy it back or another like it since the shop has a few my size on closeout still) because I built the Ritchey up and would probably lose money selling it.

Thanks for your replies and if you or anyone wants to look at the geometry and tell me some tips for what could be done I would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Ritchey has 10mm longer chainstays 432 vs 422 and 10mm longer effective top tube 580 vs 570. No wheelbase number to compare to the 1074 for C'dale but should be 20mm longer. From those numbers the C'dale will be more nimble and quick. Money isn't everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have not rode a cannondale in a few years but I love my ritchey and would not trade it for anything. I love a steel bike heck I sold my turner flux to get a p-650b and I have not looked back at all
    Attached Images Attached Images