Building a Mini-Mulett- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Building a Mini-Mulett

I got this idea when I took my last “goodbye” ride with my old 26er. I fixed it up with a wide bar and short stem and got the brakes and shifter in order. I was surprised how much fun it was, I had forgotten about that BMX-like handling. Acceleration was amazing, felt nearly like spring loaded and compared to my new 29er it was so easy to throw it from one turn to the next. It was shorter but constantly shifting body positions to compensate was fun. It was just so different from modern bikes. On the flip-side the steep head-angle and small wheels made descends more scary and bumpy.

This gave me the idea to get an old 26 frame and build it with a modern 27.5 fork and 12x drivetrain. My first attempt was a Titus Motolite, this was good but the frame was just to small for me. I replaced that bike with 27.5 Santa Cruz 5010. This is a great bike but I was still missing that 26er feel.

Recently I saw a 2011 Fuji Reveal frame on ebay for little money. It seemed ideal for a mini-mullet. It has 140mm FSR travel a tapered steerer for a modern fork, internal cable routing and was big enough for my size. I got the frame and started collecting parts. I still had a 12x GX drivetrain, found a Pike 130mm fork, 70mm stem, wheels and good old Juicy 7 brakes. I wanted to keep the wheels light with a 27.5” 2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nick in front and 26” 2.25 Rocket Ron in the back.

I just did my second ride. I was surprised how similar the Fuji is to the 5010 when going through rough stuff, the head angle is about 65 degree, which likely helps get over things. The trails here in Philly are twisty, lots of small short descends and inclines with rocks and roots. For this the mini-mulett is perfect, it is super easy to throw it around corners and wind it through trees. As expected the small wheel helps to pick up speed quickly, the shorter reach makes picking a line on rocky climbs easy.

The 5010 rides smoother and is more of a point and go bike while with the Fuji its more hop and lean to keep a line- so exactly what I built it for. I think the rougher ride comes from the older Pike fork, I’ll get a 140mm debonair spring and do a oil change to see if that smoothens things out.

It’s great to have a few bikes with different characteristics. I ride the same trail with a 29er Specialized Epic, the 5010 and now the Fuji and it is a very different experience each ride.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Building a Mini-Mulett-img_4441cr.jpg  

Building a Mini-Mulett-img_4418.jpg  

Having a nice day!
    I did something similar with a Pivot Mach 5.7. Passed it down to my son, but it still is a fun bike! I should borrow it from him to knock the dust off it

mtbr member
    Great post and inspirational! Those pictures from the Wiss?
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Yes- that is in the Wissahickon indeed! I can ride this trail on my way to work... if I have the time.