mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Budget wheelset recommendation needed

I have set of wheels for mountain biking but I need another one for casual riding. Any recommendation for a budget wheelset that I could use for around the town riding on my 27.5 hardtail bike? Something that would fit 2" Schwalbe Big Bens? Riding is going to be on a paved roads or rail trails. Nothing fancy. Just tagging along with my friends or family around the park.

Sorry, no funds or space in the garage for a second bike. I would have to swap wheels between mountain biking and casual riding. I have looked up classifieds for some new take outs but no luck. I guess I have to go new.

mtbr member
    Boost?

Axle size or QR?

Disc or rim brakes?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Why the need to swap tires? If the ride is just casual, use the tires you already have

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I want to have two sets of wheels. One for mountain biking and one with the Big Bens for casual riding around the town. I just can't stand knobby tires on the paved roads.

QR with disk brakes. Not sure what boost is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Keep in mind that you are going to also want a casette and rotor on the wheelset to facilitate an easy switch. What year and model is your current bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have built the bike myself. The cassette is Shimano SLX HG81 10 speed. Frame is 45650b from On-One.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/vuelta-starlite-275-quot;-mountain-wheelset-vl-sl275-base?utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=p la&utm_campaign=datafeed&cm_mmc=Google_Product_Sea rch-_-PLA-_-Datafeed-_-Vuelta%20Starlite%2027.5"%20Mountain%20Wheelset&CA WELAID=400006960000168584&source=googleUS&CAGPSPN= pla&CAAGID=25428001938&CATCI=pla-174917129778&catargetid=400006960000134425&cadevic e=m&gclid=CjwKCAjw8O7bBRB0EiwAfbrThz1fLXlySrHqWm8C U4x3Zo0Xr67nDjMOzYte_sltAdkS9BQRcvHPdBoCpTAQAvD_Bw E

Hope the link worked, but if not it is a starlight 27.5 wheelset on Nashbar that should be good enough for casual riding at $100 bucks for the set

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I picked up a set of RaceFace Aeffect 27.5s awhile back for $220 on Jenson (list price of $600). I've seen mixed reviews on them, but so far they have worked very well for me and I'm not babying them by any means.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

mtbr member
    IMHO the easiest way to do this is have identical hubs, cassette and rotors on the second wheelset. Otherwise, not worth the hassle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    IMHO the easiest way to do this is have identical hubs, cassette and rotors on the second wheelset. Otherwise, not worth the hassle.
    That's what I am planning on doing. For an easy wheel swap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drabina View Post
    That's what I am planning on doing. For an easy wheel swap.
    Not what I understood, sorry. Your original post asked for budget wheelset options which is not what I was suggesting. If you are going to have identical hubs you will need to find ones to match your current set or by two wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    Not what I understood, sorry. Your original post asked for budget wheelset options which is not what I was suggesting. If you are going to have identical hubs you will need to find ones to match your current set or by two wheelsets.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have a decent set of MTB wheels with road oriented tires now. I want to get another set of wheels and swap the road tires onto the new (cheaper) set for casual riding. I will then get new knobby tires for the current wheels so I can do mountain trails. Will also need to get cassette, etc to have a matching setups.

mtbr member
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have a decent set of MTB wheels with road oriented tires now. I want to get another set of wheels and swap the road tires onto the new (cheaper) set for casual riding. I will then get new knobby tires for the current wheels so I can do mountain trails. Will also need to get cassette, etc to have a matching setups.
    What Iím suggesting is different than what you are asking. Best of luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Now I am a bit confused. Can I have a second set of wheels with the same cassette, QR but a different tires and swap them as needed? If the cassette is the same (10 speed) it should match my current shifter setup, correct? Or I am missing something obvious?

mtbr member
    Now I am a bit confused. Can I have a second set of wheels with the same cassette, QR but a different tires and swap them as needed? If the cassette is the same (10 speed) it should match my current shifter setup, correct? Or I am missing something obvious?
    No, you got it right. As long as the cassette and hub type is the same, it'll work.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Got it. Thanks!

Bikesexual
    These are not $100.00 Nashbar wheels, but he has some good deals if you want to check him out. I got some for my gravel bike, and I'm very happy with them.

I have no association with this guy.

https://www.speedgearbike.com/
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

tire to rim ratio tester
    Yeah I don't understand why he would say the hub has to be identical, as in the brand/model? I assume you have 9x100 front and 10x135 rear, that's all you need to match. $100 is a really good deal for a 27.5" wheelset; the cheapest decent ones on Amazon are $125. I'm doing roadbiking on a 26" DT Swiss wheelset that's pretty light for $155, the hubs and obviously the wheels are different than my stock 27.5" setup but it still works fine.
    "A $1700 bike is not fit to be hucked from a curb"
    MTB B'Dos