mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Bronson V3 vs HD4 vs Process 153

I hate these kind of threads but gonna do it anyway. Itís gonna be great....

Santa Cruz Bronson V3 or Ibis HD4 or Kona Process 153 CR/DL 27.5

Which one would you choose and why? Comparisons from folks that have ridden them?

I demoed the Bronson V3 and was impressed. No experience with the others except internet stalking. All three seem like they would fit the bill for me. Will be used for earn your turns rowdy trails, some shuttle, some bike park, and a few enduros next season. Iíll take a chance on one of these frames in a medium.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Check out pinkbikes field test they just put up this week. They covered the Bronson and Kona and some other bikes as well. Pretty good place to start!
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    Check out pinkbikes field test they just put up this week. They covered the Bronson and Kona and some other bikes as well. Pretty good place to start!
    Yeah, thanks. I read those. They reviewed the process 29er. probably some similar characteristics to the 27.5 version but sounds different in a lot of ways based on other reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V-Shaped Rut
    Didn't ride the Kona, but Bronson and HD4 yes. I felt like either bike is awesome and you're not gonna go wrong. I felt like the Ibis climbed better with the shock full open over chunk. Either climb fine on non technical stuff. HD4 felt more stable at speed for me and that's why I bought one, not that the Bronson was bad, the Ibis just felt a little more planted. YRMV.

I also feel like if you're over 150 lbs and even halfway aggressive in your riding (I'm assuming you are if you're looking at 150mm enduro bikes) you'll need a volume reducer in the DPX on the HD4. Dunno about the X2, haven't ridden it.

In the end I went with the HD4 and am super happy with it. It's a bomber. Vid from my local trailsystem and strava from a ride showing that it's just fine on long rides too in case you decide to take a break from shredding.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bronson V3 vs HD4 vs Process 153-4dc1c1f5-e499-419b-8d08-c0782366fbb4.jpeg  

V-Shaped Rut
    Also I don't know if you've seen this vid, but it relates to the question:

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Didn't ride the Kona, but Bronson and HD4 yes. I felt like either bike is awesome and you're not gonna go wrong. I felt like the Ibis climbed better with the shock full open over chunk. Either climb fine on non technical stuff. HD4 felt more stable at speed for me and that's why I bought one, not that the Bronson was bad, the Ibis just felt a little more planted. YRMV.

I also feel like if you're over 150 lbs and even halfway aggressive in your riding (I'm assuming you are if you're looking at 150mm enduro bikes) you'll need a volume reducer in the DPX on the HD4. Dunno about the X2, haven't ridden it.

In the end I went with the HD4 and am super happy with it. It's a bomber. Vid from my local trailsystem and strava from a ride showing that it's just fine on long rides too in case you decide to take a break from shredding.

Thanks for the response. Are you talking about the new Bronson or the older model?

I saw that video comparing the Bronson to the HD4, but itís the old Bronson.

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by deserat View Post
    Thanks for the response. Are you talking about the new Bronson or the older model?

I saw that video comparing the Bronson to the HD4, but itís the old Bronson.

The one with the lower mounted shock is the new one right? That's the one I rode.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    This is relevant to my interests.

Been looking at Bronson V3 frame, and just saw an Ibis HD4 that I liked.

Concerned about length of the XL though... 480mm reach. 6'1".