mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bomber Atom 80 650b mod

Well, here it is. As stock, Quasi's fit fine both arch/crown wise. Neos however rubbed the crown at full compression. Took care of that with some lathe love, and changed it over to 100mm while I was at it. The axle to crown is the same as a Fox 100mm travel fork, so if it sucks (doubt it), that's my backup. This was sitting around, and is pretty much the most refined of the coil spinged Bombers, so in the interest of saving $$, decided to give it a go. Now I'm ready to draw the frame.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sweet! I'll throw some 650B's on my atom race now!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would for sure compress the shock all the way.. either let the air out and/or take the springs out. Then put the wheel in AND SPIN IT. If the tire isn't seated well, or if the rim is out radially, the wheel can seem to fit fine at one point, and not at all at another.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    What exactly did you have to do to it? I can't tell from the photos.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Machine 'bottom out' spacers to take care of crown/tire clearance issues. The fork is usable at that point for Quasis and Neos, although with 5mm less travel in this case (the height of the spacers) so 75mm total travel.

The xtra 25mm of travel involved a bit more (it still has the top out springs fwiw).

-Schmitty-

Members who have read this thread: 0