mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Bike for wife who is 5'3" with 27.5" inseam

Looking to get a mountain bike for the wife. She'll likely never much advance beyond the beginner state and won't be riding really technical trails. Essentially need a bike so they she can come enjoy the single track with kids for a least the next few years. I was thinking something in the XC FS 27.5 category but its been 15 years since I've paid attention to what's going on in the mountain biking scene. Was thinking more along the FS route the HT as she'll likely struggle keeping up with the family on the downhill but not on the uphill. Preferably something light and nimble that would be easier for her to toss around. She is 5'3" with a 27.5" inseam.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Discussed at length earlier:
    And the OP of the that thread was only 4'11".

Bruce, my wife is 5'1" and fits quite a few "extra small" sized mountain bikes, although certain brands don't make 29ers small enough for her. She's currently on a Juliana (Santa Cruz) Furtado 27.5. It sounds like your wife may be more suited for the Joplin model (more XC oriented).

I think the sky's pretty much the limit for your selection and it's really going to come down to your budget.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My wife is the same size and i have just gone through exactly the same thing. I made the mistake of buying her a full-sus bike which she never really enjoyed as she wasn't riding hard enough to benefit from the suspension, yet the added weight was really a problem for her.

My original hope was to build her a titanium 27.5" hardtail. Annoyingly, I was beaten to the last xs Lynskey at CRC. They do however now have the 2018 MT 27.5 back in stock in a XS (14") for just GBP599.99 (USD760). Matched to this, you could pick up a pair of RS SIS World Cup forks from CRC for just GBP299.99 (USD380). Both frame and fork are Boost spacing, so it all works.

As I couldn't get the Lynskey at the time, I went with the new Kinesis Maxlight X frame which comes in a XS (14.5") and has 27.5" wheels (larger frames are 29er). I have built this up with the RS SIDS mentioned above, some Mavic Crossmax Carbon Pro wheels, Deore XT gears and brakes and a Sunrace 11-50 cassette. Finishing kit is mostly Thompson (I have 50mm, 60mm, and 70mm stems so ensure perfect fit for different riding) and Raceface. Total weight is just under 10kgs and total cost (all new parts) was just under GBP2k

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catal...els/Maxlight/X

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod151103

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod165957

Bike for wife who is 5'3" with 27.5" inseam-img_20181204_144601462.jpg

mtbr member
    Size x-small/small Soma B-side/Riff might be a decent option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    With the larger tyres these days it appears that full suspension probably won't be the best starting point for my wife. I am beginning to think the standover and weight will be too steep a learning curve for her. So I was thinking of getting a cheap hardtail with the right frame geometry and swap out components for her. I've found two or three models that would work quite nicely but I've noticed that they all have headsets for 1-1/8 steerer tubes and rear dropouts with 130 mm spacing. Am I correct in thinking that all the decent forks these days are tapered and that the future is wider rear spacing as well. So a better decision would be to just buy a frame only model with a larger headset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by campfreddie View Post

As I couldn't get the Lynskey at the time, I went with the new Kinesis Maxlight X frame which comes in a XS (14.5") and has 27.5" wheels (larger frames are 29er). I have built this up with the RS SIDS mentioned above, some Mavic Crossmax Carbon Pro wheels, Deore XT gears and brakes and a Sunrace 11-50 cassette. Finishing kit is mostly Thompson (I have 50mm, 60mm, and 70mm stems so ensure perfect fit for different riding) and Raceface. Total weight is just under 10kgs and total cost (all new parts) was just under GBP2k

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181204_144601462.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	381.5 KB 
ID:	1230090
    The Maxlight X in an XS would fit my wife quite well? Could you tell me what the standover on that is?

Luddite technophile
    My 52 wife has an XS Pivot Mach4 that she loves. Fits her very well.

mtbr member
    Have you considered looking at Liv (women's specific brand by Giant) bikes? My wife is short, and Liv's fit nicely. Reasonable pricing on some models if you don't need the most advanced specs.

https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/bikes
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Jamis dragonfly 26+ maybe? Got a good review on bikepacking.com

mtbr member
    5'3-5'5 is very squarely right on for nearly every brands small sized frames. She would fit a older geometry model in medium too, with a short stem, or any modern small. XS would probably be pushing it.