Which bike for my wife?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Which bike for my wife?

I bought my wife a Specialized Pitch to start riding with me, and now she likes it so she wants to ride a bit more seriously. The Pitch is horrible with that Suntour xct 80 mm fork.
    It's mostly Xc riding with a little bit of trail.

I found these two bikes which seem more capable, but not expensive:

https://www.bike-discount.de/de/kauf...ler-3.9-785927

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod181452

I think the Vitus looks a lot better and is more modern with the 30mm wheels and boost. The Focus is much better specced though.

How is the Suntour 32 rc air fork? Can it be compared to the Recon? The drivetrain is obviously better on the Focus. The Whistler is not a womans bike but I don't know if that matters, it's the right size.

I was thinking that I could replace the wheels on the Focus with the 25 mm ones she has on the Specialized. Would that work? It's 3x8 speed Shimano on the Pitch and the Focus 2x11. Can I put the 11 speed Slx cassette on the Specialized wheels? And the 8 speed cassette on the Rodi 21 Focus wheels hub?

mtbr member
    The focus bei far, altogether has mucher better specs. Its a gigantic win for focus

Enviado do meu SM-G975F através do Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nel79 View Post
    The focus bei far, altogether has mucher better specs. Its a gigantic win for focus

That's what I thought too, and it's cheaper.

Does anyone know how the Recon RL compares to Suntour 32 RC Air? By the way, is X-Fusion Rc 32 the same as the Suntour? I don't really get that.

mtbr member
    I doubt any Sr Suntour product within the same price range wiil be better than a Rockshox product but is hard to say. Personally i would go for the Recon RL.
    Here's a video reviewing the Recon
    https://youtu.be/XMnaQe62o_Y

Also X-fusion is another mtb suspension brand, not the same as Sr Suntour

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I doubt any Sr Suntour product within the same price range wiil be better than a Rockshox product but is hard to say. Personally i would go for the Recon RL.
    Here's a video reviewing the Recon
    https://youtu.be/XMnaQe62o_Y

Also X-fusion is another mtb suspension brand, not the same as Sr Suntour

There seems to be so little info on these lower end forks, which are not RS or Fox. The X Fusion RC 32 and Suntour RC 32, there seem to be a lot of bikes specced with these and no reviews or info out there about them.

I also looked at the Vitus Sentier W which is a little more expensive, about 950 euros. It has a modern geometry and wide wheels, also a decent 1x drivetrain. But it's difficult when you don't know anything about the fork. It's an X-Fusion RC32 130 mm on it.

mtbr member
    It cames with 1x10 drivetrain, normally with only 10 sprockets at the back you will want to have 2 chainrings at the front for a good range or a 1x11 at least, plus the whole drivetrain is from Sr Suntour, The Focus had a 2x11 shimano deore XT and SLX drivetrain which is not only much better but also give you much more range plus shimano brakes and hubs. Cant understand why this Vitus is so expensive!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    It cames with 1x10 drivetrain, normally with only 10 sprockets at the back you will want to have 2 chainrings at the front for a good range or a 1x11 at least, plus the whole drivetrain is from Sr Suntour, The Focus had a 2x11 shimano deore XT and SLX drivetrain which is not only much better but also give you much more range plus shimano brakes and hubs. Cant understand why this Vitus is so expensive!

The Focus is on sale half price, it's 1050 euros at msrp. Otherwise the Vitus bikes are considered cheap.

I just worry about the narrow wheels on the Focus. Do you know maybe if I can put the Specialized wheels on the Focus. I think both are 100 front and 135 at the back. But the Focus has 15mm fork and the Spec Pitch has 9mm qr I think. I don't know if I can put the 11s cassette from the Focus on the hub from the Spec that has 8s cassette.

I think you're right about the gears, she will probably need more range since she's not experienced.

mtbr member
    If the focus is on sale i wouldn't think twice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam56 View Post
    I bought my wife a Specialized Pitch to start riding with me, and now she likes it so she wants to ride a bit more seriously. The Pitch is horrible with that Suntour xct 80 mm fork.
    It's mostly Xc riding with a little bit of trail.

I found these two bikes which seem more capable, but not expensive:

https://www.bike-discount.de/de/kauf...ler-3.9-785927

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod181452

I think the Vitus looks a lot better and is more modern with the 30mm wheels and boost. The Focus is much better specced though.

How is the Suntour 32 rc air fork? Can it be compared to the Recon? The drivetrain is obviously better on the Focus. The Whistler is not a womans bike but I don't know if that matters, it's the right size.

I was thinking that I could replace the wheels on the Focus with the 25 mm ones she has on the Specialized. Would that work? It's 3x8 speed Shimano on the Pitch and the Focus 2x11. Can I put the 11 speed Slx cassette on the Specialized wheels? And the 8 speed cassette on the Rodi 21 Focus wheels hub?
    I would recommend exploring pre-owned bikes as well. You'll get a lot more bike for the money, and won't find yourself needing to upgrade as many parts to make it a "real" mountain bike.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    New riders would benefit on Plus size bikes. I suggest to look into those. You can have her running 11 psi on Rocket Ron tires and never have to worry about the it squirming (since new rider) or loosing traction. She will enjoy going down the hill with confidence. As she gets better, you can then move on to a narrower tires.

Marin San Quentin 1 fits 2.8 and it's slack at 65*.

Ride what you like!
    Jamis Dragonslayer Pro 26+ is on a huuuuuge sale at Jensen, like 50% off. If she doesn't absolutely NEED 27.5, that's a lotta bike for $1300.
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I don't see how either of those bikes are really a big step up from what she has. Why not just swap the fork and put decent derailleurs on the Pitch? If the Pitch is comfortable and she likes the fit then there is some value in not changing since unknown geometry is unknown.

$99 Suntour Raidon, if the Pitch is a 44mm head tube you will need a different headset unless the OEM fork is already tapered, which seems unlikely. Also this is a boost axle, Pitch is probably 9x100 axle. Or go to a Manitou Markhor if you need 9x100 front axle and straight steerer.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suntour-Rai...-/254030185403

A couple weeks ago I swapped the Suntour coil XCR on my bike for a leftover 2018 Rockshox Pike, and the bike dropped 1.5lbs and it rides way better.

Dump the Tourney derailleurs and shifters and install Deore and it will ride much nicer. I swapped to Altus level on my sons bike and even then the difference was night and day. You could even go to a 10 speed cassette with the Deore parts but maybe it's not needed if she stays 2x.

I swapped my son's 24" bike tires for Rocket Rons and the bike dropped almost 2 lbs of rotating weight. He said it was like riding a new bike.

At some point all this adds up to the price of the new bikes, but the new bikes are likely to need the same upgrades eventually.