Bike Choices for $3k - $3.5k budget- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Bike Choices for $3k - $3.5k budget

Hi All,
    I am looking for a new bike and need help finding suggestions. I enjoy riding aggressive flowy and technical singletrack. I also occasionally go to the bike park for some fun.
    I am currently looking more towards a ht as that is what I previously was riding but would also accept fs suggestions. I live in minnesota currently but plan on moving out west or towards whistler in January so I am trying to keep that as a consideration as the trails will be more advanced over there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    The Ibis Ripmo AF is likely a great bike for your price range and planned destinations.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Used will usually be a better value especially at this price point; you can probably get a carbon bike with a higher level of finish. Customer direct (commencal, yt, canyon) will always be better than one of the big brands in terms of new value; my pick for a quiver killer at this price point for your intended usage with modern geo would probaly be a mid travel 29er (unless you are super short) such as the Commencal meta tr or ripmo af.

I'm a santa cruz fan boy and while they have bikes at that price point like the AL Bronson, HT, TB, I wouldn't buy them new due to being overweight and underspec'd in the suspension and drive train departments. I would however spend that kind of money on a used carbon v2 5010 or ibis mojo 3 and be happy as my only bike for several years riding pretty much everything I'm capable of. You could ride what you have to see how you'll adapt to your new terrain and save some money for a year and move up to the next price tier where your choices for amazing bike @ ~5k are much wider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    GG smash, good for trail riding, then switch up to gnarvana with seat stay switch up for park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Chromag wide angle or chromag samurai if you can budget it. I love my samurai.

EDR
    I bought my Mojo3 GX eagle build with complete with Fox X2, SLX Brakes, Pike 150rct3, SDG dropper and Stans wheels for 4K in Dec. of '18. Super fun bike for hard trail riding and pedals well enough not to feel overbiked on mellow stuff. Some people can really kill it with this bike (JKW for example) but wouldn't be my first choice for BC riding. With the M4 out now I bet you'll see some great deals on the M3.

mtbr member
    If you are still looking...

I just built a Banshee Paradox V3 HT frame up with Fox 36 Factory fork, shimano XT drivetrain and brakes (4 pot), Fox 150mm transfer dropper, and Duroc 40 27.5" wheel set for just a hair above your budget. Fork and dropper bought used off of pinkbike (both were just serviced) but everything else new (I just looked for closeouts and sales).

Bike Choices for k - .5k budget-screen-shot-2020-09-03-10.06.40-am.png
    Banshee Paradox V3