mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Which is the Better $3000 27.5” Bike: Specialized Rockhopper Comp or Giant Trance 2?

Upgrading from a 26” older Stumpy to a 2019 150mm travel dually with 27.5” rims. Your Informed opinions appreciate it. Doug

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm not too sure about the Giant lineup, but I think the Trance and Rockhopper are in different categories.
    Value aside, I guess it would be helpful to know what your intended riding conditions are.

Unless Specialized has changed the Rockhopper, I think the Trance is more comparable to the Stumpjumper, geometry aside.

Is the Rockhopper a Carbon frame? 3-grand sounds high for an aluminum Rockhopper.
    Just a year or so back the aluminum Stumpjumper was $2500.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Just a guess, but I think you mean the Specialized Enduro Comp. If that is the case, I think you can't go wrong with either. I would sit on both and see which you like. I am partial to SRAM, so I would go with the Specialized, in my biased opinion.

mtbr member
    In my opinion, which may be useless, Specialized wants too much money for their new bikes in the last few years for what you get. I helped two buddies buy bikes last month and was surprised at how much was being asked for Specialized and Trek bikes. Specialized used to be a great 'bang for the buck' brand but not anymore from what I saw. Both of my mates ended up with Giants.

Last year, I went through the same process and ended up with a Scott Spark 27.5 for about $2,600. It was better in every aspect for the price that I could find, from dampers to components over the Rockhopper I was looking at. My second choice would have been the Trance. Trek wanted stupid money for an equivalent model.
    '18 Scott Spark 730, 27.5+
    '10 Scott Scale 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Ortho,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I am going to take a look at the Scott’s.
    Thanks a lot, Doug

mtbr member
    I'd take a look at the Spitfire. More bike for your money.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Banshee-Sp...le-Jenson-Bike

Turns right to go left
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclortho View Post
    In my opinion, which may be useless, Specialized wants too much money for their new bikes in the last few years for what you get. I helped two buddies buy bikes last month and was surprised at how much was being asked for Specialized and Trek bikes. Specialized used to be a great 'bang for the buck' brand but not anymore from what I saw. Both of my mates ended up with Giants.

Last year, I went through the same process and ended up with a Scott Spark 27.5 for about $2,600. It was better in every aspect for the price that I could find, from dampers to components over the Rockhopper I was looking at. My second choice would have been the Trance. Trek wanted stupid money for an equivalent model.
    Good point. The Scott Spark is a great choice for less money. Another suggestion- The overachieving YT Jeffsy can be bought well below the $3000 price point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I just recently picked up a 2018 Trance 2 for a great deal. Awesome bike so far.