mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Best Value FS under $3k: Trance vs Jeffsy

I'm currently researching and preparing to buy my first full suspension mtb. There's so many awesome bikes out there but I'm trying to keep this under $3k. In terms of spec, it appears to me that the Giant Trance and Yt Jeffsy are about the best value bikes I have found. I honestly don't know enough about components to know which of the two is better. I'd appreciate any input on these two bikes and if there are any other bikes in this price range I should seriously consider.
    Get out and go ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Specialized Stumpjumper alloy at $3K is a very nice bike and IHMO is a better choice due to tire wheels options and more travel.

mtbr member
    The Jeffsy is hard to beat, I'd get it over the Giant 100%.

However, this is probably the best buy on the market going right now. Incredible package at that pricepoint.

https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide...ral-AL-6,21732
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    The Jeffsy is hard to beat, I'd get it over the Giant 100%.

However, this is probably the best buy on the market going right now. Incredible package at that pricepoint.

https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide...ral-AL-6,21732
    I have looked at the Canyon as well. I'm just curious why the Jeffsy over the Giant?
    Get out and go ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Check pinkbike sells and buy section, there is a lot of amazing bikes like new there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Could you post a link to each bike? I'm not sure what model of Jeffsy or Trance you are looking at. Also, what kind of riding will you be doing? Enduro, Trail, XC?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-2-2019

I live on the front range of Colorado. I ride everything from xc to normal trail riding and occasionally get up in the mountains for big downhills.
    Get out and go ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Jeffsy gets my vote as well. Almost pulled the trigger on one, but ponied up a little more for something else. Not because the Jeffsy is bad or anything, just happened to get a killer deal on a dream bike of mine. I was looking at the Jeffsy 27 Al Comp.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple
    2018 Specialized Pitch Comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Well, I looked at both of them quite a lot and it is a pretty close comparison. They are both excellent bikes, but I prefer the YT Jeffsy. There are several reasons for this.

The Jeffsy has better components in general, a better fork and better brakes are a few things. One of the bigger things about it was that the Giant weighs 30.5lbs while the Jeffsy only weighs about 29.1lbs.

Believe it or not, people pay good money for 1.4 less pounds of weight. You can really feel the difference, too. Another thing I like is that the Jeffsy has less travel in the front than the Giant. That suits it a little better for climbs and general trail riding.

The option between 27.5 and 29 wheels on the Jeffsy for the same price is a great plus too. 29ers give you better rollover of things on the trail and will therefore do you good on the downhills, but the 27.5 is a bit more maneuverable.

I'm a very small guy, so I like the 27.5 wheels; they are easier to whip around. If you are not a very small guy, then a 29 inch wheel is the better option. The Giant has the option of 29 inch wheels over 27.5, but it is more expensive.

Finally, I just think the YT looks way more sick than the Giant and that's always a plus.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the breakdown. I'm still learning a lot about bikes so I'm always curious why a person likes bike A over bike B, etc. I'm 6'1" so I am leaning towards 29. My current bike is 29 and have no complaints about the wheel size. The maneuverability of 27.5 is intriguing though. Since I tend to ride XC-ish I worry that I'd miss the momentum of the 29s.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Get out and go ride.

mtbr member
    I would also take a look at the Devinci Django 27.5 at evo.com
    https://www.evo.com/mountain/devinci...-complete-bike.

I picked up the slx/xt django and love it

I'm 6'-1" I have ridden 29, 26 fat, and 27.5. I like the 27.5. I haven't had issues with roll over and it seems to be a little snappier in the corners. But honestly, I think it comes down more to geometry then tire size

mtbr member
    I own a 2016 Trance SX. A lot of my buddies own Trances. They're great bikes. But after demoing a YT Jeffsy CF Pro 29, I'm ready to upgrade to 29 wheels. Giant now offers 29 Trances, but YT's prices are hard to beat.

jrm
    mtbr member

This review is worth a look

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/seven-trai...r-3000-review/

Theres also links to the review of the individual bikes embedded in the review..

with that said jeffsy..

mtbr member
    They were both on my short list, when I thought $3k was my limit. Of all the bikes I tested the Trance was my favorite, but I never found a Jeffsy to test.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Do you know which wheel size you prefer? That would decide between the trance and the jeffsy for me... although you could throw the 27.5 jeffsy into the equation as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberjackJG View Post
    I'm a very small guy, so I like the 27.5 wheels; they are easier to whip around. If you are not a very small guy, then a 29 inch wheel is the better option. The Giant has the option of 29 inch wheels over 27.5, but it is more expensive.

Finally, I just think the YT looks way more sick than the Giant and that's always a plus.
    What size do you ride, small? Randombikeparts has a top end 2016 Lapierre Zesty AM827, full carbon, xx1/x01, etc etc for under 3K. This is a top end sub 27lb 150mm travel bike with current geo.

https://www.randombikeparts.com/coll...e-sram-11s-new

mtbr member
    For the record, I'm 5'6" and the medium Jeffsy 29 did not feel big. Plenty of room in the cockpit and surprisingly, very playful. In fact, the 27.5 medium Jeffsy felt bigger, more plowish, and I got more on top of bike feeling than the 29. Different geometry.

That said, I always recommend demoing the bike if possible and not going completely on internet hearsay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the input everyone. For those that asked, I ride a Large and I would prefer to stay with a 29er but I won't rule out a 27.5 bike.
    Get out and go ride.