Old man on a bike

Behold the Beckler

Finally stopped raining so I could go out and use the stand to complete the wheel switcheroo. When I had both wheels side by side I took a photo and was thinking if the effort was worth it or not, my old wheels with Fat Albert 2.4s were nearly as large in diameter...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

TNC
    noMAD man
    Bikin' that's an exceptional moniker for a 650B Heckler. You should patent it...LOL!

Good looking setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    {QUOTE}When I had both wheels side by side I took a photo and was thinking if the effort was worth it or not, my old wheels with Fat Albert 2.4s were nearly as large in diameter...

Same thought's here - 650's on my RFX. I have not had a chance to hit the trails other than some cruising around my house. Steering feels different and because the Neo-moto's have less volume than the Kenda 2.35's I can feel ground irregularities more.

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Bikin' that's an exceptional moniker for a 650B Heckler. You should patent it...LOL!

Good looking setup.

I'm just remembering what someone else (don't remember who) called a 650b Heckler...but I like it! Not about to try and change the laser etching...just sticking a "B" over the H won't look so hot...
    suum quique

half tread will travel
    Sep 2007
    i rode one yesterday day...it rolled really nice but i couldn't get over how high it felt off the ground with the 2.3 tires...maybe when the 2.1 tires comes out it will help this effect...
    tread lightly...earth is our playground

nothing relevant to say
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC

Good looking setup.
    Dirt Rag's Eric M. called it that a while back...

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    Dirt Rag's Eric M. called it that a while back...
    CH...don't hurt your head on that wall there...LOL!

Old man on a bike
    First actual ride this afternoon. Ran pressures a bit higher than normal just because of the roll-off threads, or at least that's my excuse. I lowered them as I went on, but probably can go lower still. Seemed like there was more stiffness from the wheels, but whether it's pressure, simple difference in tire, or change in diameter, don't know for sure. I felt that the wheels were a bit more rigid, but they rolled slightly better (but that could just be my own preconception, or my superior wheel building skills ...oops I built the last ones, too). Felt slightly higher in the saddle, but balanced on the bike overall. Give it a few more tests soon...
    suum quique

My spoon is too big!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tread Mark
    i rode one yesterday day...it rolled really nice but i couldn't get over how high it felt off the ground with the 2.3 tires...maybe when the 2.1 tires comes out it will help this effect...
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of changing the wheels?

I'm interested in going to 650b some day on my Prophet. My 26er's are still in good shape, so I can't justify it now.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Old man on a bike
    Curious, what's your experience on that model of Heckler generally?
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    First actual ride this afternoon. Ran pressures a bit higher than normal just because of the roll-off threads, or at least that's my excuse. I lowered them as I went on, but probably can go lower still. Seemed like there was more stiffness from the wheels, but whether it's pressure, simple difference in tire, or change in diameter, don't know for sure. I felt that the wheels were a bit more rigid, but they rolled slightly better (but that could just be my own preconception, or my superior wheel building skills ...oops I built the last ones, too). Felt slightly higher in the saddle, but balanced on the bike overall. Give it a few more tests soon...
    Same experience on my RFX. I ran my tires @ the same pressure as my 26's and had to drop close to 5 psi to get them to feel like my hi volume Kenda's. Deffinitly notice a taller BB height and some steering flop. Hopefully I can do a good ride this weekend for a true comparison.

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Same experience on my RFX. I ran my tires @ the same pressure as my 26's and had to drop close to 5 psi to get them to feel like my hi volume Kenda's. Deffinitly notice a taller BB height and some steering flop. Hopefully I can do a good ride this weekend for a true comparison.
    I probably started 10lbs higher, didn't check at the end but don't think I'm down to the same level, but they're not as large a volume tire either, so we'll see today if it doesn't rain. In the handling department if anything I'd say it's a bit more stable. I didn't notice it being any taller but I think both this Heckler and my Nomad already felt tall; from what I saw of the wheels side by side couldn't have raised the bb much in any case.
    suum quique

half tread will travel
    Sep 2007
    Curious, what's your experience on that model of Heckler generally?
    hey bffl, the 650 heckler was a 05 frame...i liked the larger diameter wheel and neo-moto tire combines many momentum and traction benefits without the added weight of a traditional 26" wheel with a 2.7 tire...i also like the way 29ers roll along but could never get over the awkwardness of them out on switched back trails that i ride...at 5' 9.5" tall 27.5 wheel size is perfect for me...good luck...

Old man on a bike
    hey bffl, the 650 heckler was a 05 frame...i liked the larger diameter wheel and neo-moto tire combines many momentum and traction benefits without the added weight of a traditional 26" wheel with a 2.7 tire...i also like the way 29ers roll along but could never get over the awkwardness of them out on switched back trails that i ride...at 5' 9.5" tall 27.5 wheel size is perfect for me...good luck...
    Do you know if the shock on that had to be modified to accommodate the wheel?
    suum quique

half tread will travel
    Sep 2007
    Do you know if the shock on that had to be modified to accommodate the wheel?
    hey bffl, good question...i didn't see any mods on the out side of the shock nor did i measure it eye to eye to see if in fact it was any different than stock...have you taken your spring off your shock than with a some weight on the seat checked for bottom out clearance of tire to seat tube.???good luck...
    Last edited by Tread Mark; 02-21-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Old man on a bike
    hey bffl, good question...i didn't see any mods on the out side of the shock nor did i measure it eye to eye to see if in fact it was any different than stock...have you taken your spring off your shock than with a some weight on the seat checked for bottom out clearance of tire to seat tube.???good luck...
    Took the spring off and compressed it all the way, plenty of clearance, so was curious what the previous generation Heckler might need, or not, in this regard. There was some info out there, including an article in Dirt Rag, that mods were necessary but it was not clear as to which generation Heckler they were talking about (even though they showed a picture of the latest generation, which I can't see any problem with).
    suum quique

half tread will travel
    Sep 2007
    Took the spring off and compressed it all the way, plenty of clearance, so was curious what the previous generation Heckler might need, or not, in this regard. There was some info out there, including an article in Dirt Rag, that mods were necessary but it was not clear as to which generation Heckler they were talking about (even though they showed a picture of the latest generation, which I can't see any problem with).
    hey bffl, your right, i remember it was advised you needed to swap out the shorter travel air shock of the extra light (in dirt rag's 650b heckler project) for proper tire clearance of the neo-moto 2.3...you took your spring off and checked so now you know...good luck...

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Finally stopped raining so I could go out and use the stand to complete the wheel switcheroo. When I had both wheels side by side I took a photo and was thinking if the effort was worth it or not, my old wheels with Fat Albert 2.4s were nearly as large in diameter...
    do you have enough clearance in the rear?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    do you have enough clearance in the rear?
    Plenty, no shock mods
    Attached Images Attached Images
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Plenty, no shock mods
    I am quite interested in building a Beckler. Any updates on this one? Are you still running the 650b set-up?

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by signal
    I am quite interested in building a Beckler. Any updates on this one? Are you still running the 650b set-up?
    No updates, still running as shown. Like it quite a bit. All I did was put the different wheels on...
    suum quique

Got A Lust for Life...
    So, what is the point of trading high volume tires for lower volume tires that have the identical diameter? I do not get it.
    I am immune to your disdain.

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    So, what is the point of trading high volume tires for lower volume tires that have the identical diameter? I do not get it.
    Sounds like what I said to my buddy when he went "niner" with my big fatties on a 26er next to the relatively svelte tires he had on his 'niner. The 650b with the Neomoto 2.3 (decent volume, haven't tried any others yet) is a slightly larger diameter than even my fattest 26er tires and it does make a difference, albeit subtle. Also don't always want to run my fattest tires all the time (they're a bit porky). I might even give a 'niner more than one good trail ride one of these days...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    First of all, no offense to the OP, but that pic of the two wheels is terrible and does not really show the difference.

Second, to get a 26" tire that is close to the OD of a 650b wheel, you're looking at a 2.6 or 2.7, which is going to weigh quite a bit more than the heaviest 2.35 650b wheel...and by quite a bit more, I mean a few hundred grams...at the exact spot where weight is most critical.
    Not sure what type of riding you're doing, but the 2.35 Neo or Nevegal are both fine for trail / AM riding, with plenty of volume.

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie
    First of all, no offense to the OP, but that pic of the two wheels is terrible and does not really show the difference.

Second, to get a 26" tire that is close to the OD of a 650b wheel, you're looking at a 2.6 or 2.7, which is going to weigh quite a bit more than the heaviest 2.35 650b wheel...and by quite a bit more, I mean a few hundred grams...at the exact spot where weight is most critical.
    Not sure what type of riding you're doing, but the 2.35 Neo or Nevegal are both fine for trail / AM riding, with plenty of volume.
    Not possible to offend my photo skills...they're almost non-existent.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am going to give this a shot. Now all I need to do is pick-up a new Heckler frame and wheels

Members who have read this thread: 0