Any feedback on 2015 Specialized Enduro Comp 650B- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Any feedback on 2015 Specialized Enduro Comp 650B

Looking to buy my second FS bike. Been on my current bike for about a year and ready to upgrade. Really cannot be spending over $3500 and at the moment my heart is set on the 2015 Specialized Enduro Comp. For the price it includes the Pike front shock, has 160 mm of travel and a 1x10 drivetrain which is the only thing that worries me.

Im trying to support a local shop and really don't want to shell out the extra dough to build from a frame up. In addition I have no interest in buying used.

Just wanted to see what others might think of the bike or if anyone recommends something else in similar price range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm in the market for an Enduro bike around the same price point as you. Here's what I've considered and narrowed down to.

Specialized Enduro 650b

Positives:
    29.5 lb weight
    Specialized makes nice looking wields
    The bike is one of the best looking
    Pike

Negatives:
    Not a huge fan of the 1x10 drivetrain, Will probably need a smaller front cog or the 42T conversion for some climbs
    Doesn't come with a dropper
    Horst Link suspension not as efficient as modern 4 bar type linkages (VPP, dw, maestro)

Giant Reign

Positives:
    Great value for money
    Comes with Dropper
    The Giant aluminum frame is suppose to be < 5.5 lb
    Maestro suspension
    Pike

Negatives:
    32lb weight.

Bronson C RAM build

Positives:
    Carbon frame!
    VPP suspension pedals well

Negatives:
    The "budget carbon" frame only a little lighter than AL
    Wimpy Sektor 32 fork
    It weighs around ~30 lb despite of the light fork & carbon frame
    The geometry of long chainstay and short top tube
    no dropper post

In the end I pretty much narrowed it to the Reign vs the Enduro. I've tested both at the parking lot outside of our local LBS and both bikes feel great. The Maestro suspension feels noticably better than the FSR when standing and pedaling but the enduro feels like a much lighter and more nimble bike (it is 2.5lb lighter...). I'm probably going to end up being one of the 2.

mtbr member
    I am clueless on what makes a good enduro bike. OP, are you looking for an enduro bike specifically, or do you just like that particular build?

I had just noticed that the Giant Trance SX has a particularly sweet component spec. It's $4250 though, so somewhat higher than the Specialized.

But the build includes a RockShox Pike RC Dual Position and the RockShox Monarch Plus Debonair RT rear shock. It includes an X01 drivetrain and SRAM Guide brakes. And comes with a dropper post. I don't know what the complete bike it weighs though.

Trance SX 27.5 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Pretty sure the 1x10's already have a 42 tooth rear cog....and you do know that the Specialized design IS a 4bar linkage? But I agree with you that they have polished their design over the years but nothing ground breaking. I personally am going to get a Turner Flux...so if you want to venture away from your LBS look into a Turner Burner, you can get one for around $3800, but without the Pike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by javadown2 View Post
    Pretty sure the 1x10's already have a 42 tooth rear cog....and you do know that the Specialized design IS a 4bar linkage? But I agree with you that they have polished their design over the years but nothing ground breaking. I personally am going to get a Turner Flux...so if you want to venture away from your LBS look into a Turner Burner, you can get one for around $3800, but without the Pike.
    from Specialized Bicycle Components

The gear range is 11-36 on the 1x10

I realize that the horst link is a 4bar but it just seems "softer" to pedal on compared to VPP, DW-link or maestro.

As for the trance and turner burner, those are 140mm rear travel bikes and therefore are more geared towards trail rather than 160mm Enduro bikes which leans more towards the descent.

mtbr member
    Good points, yes I do think the Specialized is a lot softer and it needs the Fox CTD to compensate for this. 11-36 with a 1x11 that is just crazy. I know I wouldn't be climbing the stuff I do now, especially a close to 30lb bike. Guessing most 6 inch travel bikes aren't really meant to be spending much time climbing. I don't think you could go wrong with the specialized...or just keep old one and save up for an upper level bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have the same problem,....also looking for a new AM/Enduro rig...

Looking at so many options because nowerdays the choice is huge....Specialized isn't really my thing

Found this one and it seems this is the best value for money for me...

Carbon frame, internal cable routing, 140 rear/150 front travel, light, spot on geometry, nice spec list(1X11).

So if your open for other options....

I don't know about availability in US but how about this.....value for money is great and the Stereo has been a winner in many bike tests.....

Cube Stereo 140 Super HPC TM 27.5 carbon´n´flashred 2015

Any feedback on 2015 Specialized Enduro Comp 650B-cube-stereo-140-hpc-enduro-magazin-1-von-16-780x520.jpg

The Boat or The Bike?
    I've ridden the Enduro in base model 29er and it pedals up really good. Just slightly heavier going up than my 120 Camber. But it KILLS on the descents! That Pike eats up everything! I'm sure the 27.5 is just as great. The one I test rode was a 2x set up.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just ridden my new 2015 enduro 650 expert. What can I say? One ride only but simply the best thing I have ridden ever. Ignore all the talk just get one and enjoy it for what it is - a bloody good mtn bike.
    Tried the reign, only in car park but did not gel. I'm sure it will descend well. Just did not have the fun factor feel like the enduro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    I am clueless on what makes a good enduro bike. OP, are you looking for an enduro bike specifically, or do you just like that particular build?

I had just noticed that the Giant Trance SX has a particularly sweet component spec. It's $4250 though, so somewhat higher than the Specialized.

But the build includes a RockShox Pike RC Dual Position and the RockShox Monarch Plus Debonair RT rear shock. It includes an X01 drivetrain and SRAM Guide brakes. And comes with a dropper post. I don't know what the complete bike it weighs though.

Trance SX 27.5 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

I'm looking for an overall good build at a reasonable price. At the same time I already have an xc bike and want something with more travel. Like cs2k mentioned, I think the Enduro would need a change in gearing for climbing and a dropper post but otherwise it looks perfect.

I really like the Turners, but just feel that might be a better option when I want to do a frame only upgrade down the road. For right now I'm looking to make the jump to 27.5 and need a full build. Trance is nice, but not enough travel.

Great feedback from everyone, guess I'm just waiting for the 2015's to hit the floor at my lbs.

That Cube looks very nice, just want to buy from a local shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ugh... just test rode a 2015 Santa Cruz Bronson. Although I rode the carbon bike it's just out of my price range. Thinking Aluminum R Build... MSRP is $3199. Its a 2x10 drive train with 11-36 and 22/34.

I really like the Specialized... but the 1x10 is a major turn off. The Santa Cruz does not have the Pike fork however, it has a Rock Shox Secktor Gold RL.

I really want the extra travel, but need the gearing to be able to climb.

The Boat or The Bike?
    The Bronson is the bike I want next! Love the ride of the Enduro, but don't like the proprietary parts like the rear shock. Not having the Pike does suck, but you can always swap it later. I can't wait to ride the Bronson at interbike! Tough decisions man, I feel for ya!

mtbr member

Re: Any feedback on 2015 Specialized Enduro Comp 650B

Quote Originally Posted by drew840 View Post
    ugh... just test rode a 2015 Santa Cruz Bronson. Although I rode the carbon bike it's just out of my price range. Thinking Aluminum R Build... MSRP is $3199. Its a 2x10 drive train with 11-36 and 22/34.

I really like the Specialized... but the 1x10 is a major turn off. The Santa Cruz does not have the Pike fork however, it has a Rock Shox Secktor Gold RL.

I really want the extra travel, but need the gearing to be able to climb.
    Changing 1x to 2x drive train is super easy and not-expensive but the cost of the Pike fork is high so choosing a bike without the right fork isn't a good budget plan.

The Boat or The Bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    Changing 1x to 2x drive train is super easy and not-expensive but the cost of the Pike fork is high so choosing a bike without the right fork isn't a good budget plan.
    These are true words.

mtbr member
    Don't get hung up on a few mm of travel. 10mm is less than 1/2". Geometry, fork, suspension design, brakes, wheels ect are important. Fairly slack head angle and a good well designed fork are important once you start ripping down steeper trails at speed. Lots of great bikes in this class right now. Friends ride Kona Process 153, Norco Range, Devinci Troy, Pivot Mach 6 and I'm on a Turner 5 Spot. All are very fast bikes with beefy forks, 3 Pikes, and an X-Fusion Sweep. I put a new Pike on my old Spot recently and it's like I'm riding a new bike. Next bike will definitely have a Pike or equivalent. Very easy to add a 42t in the rear so don't get hung up on drivetrain too much.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Yes and no... when I went from 120 to 130mm I noticed it had a huge gain in cushion and control over my trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    Yes and no... when I went from 120 to 130mm I noticed it had a huge gain in cushion and control over my trails.
    Not calling you a liar, but 10mm is really neglible. The changes you noticed would be more likely do to setup, not actual travel.

mtbr member
    Not taking it as calling me a lier its cool.
    Here is a little more info about my experience, basicaly identical frame and shock models and tires just different travel. These two frames have nearly identical geometry if not comparing EVO models.

The Specialized Camber Elite 29
    vs Specialized Stump Jumper Comp 29.
    The bikes I compared had 120 vs 130mm and both had RS Revelations up front and same series fox shocks in back too with 120 vs 130.
    However I will grant you that these rear shocks could potentially be tuned more firm/squishy than Im expecting but the front Fork was the same model just set to different travel mode via internal spacers.
    The front 120 was almost too firm but at 130 was a lot more cushy on the rock gardens no doubt about it. Yes I went through proper PSI and rebound adjustments.

mtbr member
    Also, 10mm on 140 vs 150 can add a big diff on the steering and balance for some bikes. Every bikes geo has a limit if you go 10mm past the limit you may be sorry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I got a 2015 Enduro comp a couple weeks ago and I am amazed by it. Came from an old hard tail but I was able to test ride a lot of the new 650b wheeled bikes and the specialized is so much fun compared to some of the other 150-160mm travel bikes. Only one ride with a real climb (tiger mtn. 4 miles of fire road) but the 1x10 was fine for that even though I am not in great shape. The biggest thing I noticed when compared to other bikes is the wheels on the Enduro are fantastic. They are light, stiff and the width really makes a difference. Its probably where the 2lb difference between the Reign and the Enduro is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I recently got an Enduro Comp 650b for an annual mtb vacation in the Lake Tahoe area. I'm not particularly young (late 50s) and was recovering from a cold, so I was also concerned about the 1 x 10 setup (with 32 chainring and 11-36 cogs). So I got an e*thirteen 42 tooth cog and replaced the 32 chainring with a 30, and it worked out great (no desire to go back to 2x). I think I figured out that the low gear was about equivalent to the second lowest gear on my buddy's 2 x 10. In addition, the bike was awesome. Even though I was only about 80% full strength (from the cold), I was cleaning stuff that I never had before. I had also been a little concerned about how the bike would climb, having never ridden a bike with so much travel or such a slack head tube angle, but it climbed amazingly well, especially the technical (rocky) stuff. I highly recommend the bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike&Fish View Post
    I've ridden the Enduro in base model 29er and it pedals up really good. Just slightly heavier going up than my 120 Camber. But it KILLS on the descents! That Pike eats up everything! I'm sure the 27.5 is just as great. The one I test rode was a 2x set up.
    Ironic, that's the opposite of one of the guys on here that actually loves his, but he's the first to tell you, it's not great pedaling up and if there was a bike that offered the same characteristic on the down but climbed better, he'd be all over it.

FSRs are far from great peddlers up. Had a SJ and it's one of the reasons I dumped it.

Also keep in mind, Specialized like to put the lower end stuff on just to say it's got X. That Pike is the RC, not the RCT3. They did same with Fox stuff, specing the Evolution instead of the Factory.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    The truth of the matter is that you have to have them all, one of each in the stable, like me with my track bikes, I had a smoker(two stroke) Aprilia RS250, a triple Triumph Daytona 675R and a twin Ducati 848 Evo
    So the Niner is coming and I am already looking at a 27.5.....

mtbr member
    took mine to a resort this weekend, bike worked flawlessly!!! i could not have been happier with its performance and any buyers remorse I've had is out the door. it seriously went down the mountain like a DH

Any feedback on 2015 Specialized Enduro Comp 650B-img_7742.jpg

was trying to add more pics but the comp won't let me for whatever reason. seemed to climb just fine to me. maybe on steep stuff the front end would get light but not bad at all

mtbr member
    I just bought the 2015 sx and it weighed out at 29.25 Lbs. I also got it for considerably less than $4250 which is why I decided to go with the Trance. It came with 800 mm bars which I cut down after the first ride. Still learning to ride it since it is so different from my old bike. Had the tire pressure too high which caused some slip in the climbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by javadown2 View Post
    Good points, yes I do think the Specialized is a lot softer and it needs the Fox CTD to compensate for this. 11-36 with a 1x11 that is just crazy. I know I wouldn't be climbing the stuff I do now, especially a close to 30lb bike. Guessing most 6 inch travel bikes aren't really meant to be spending much time climbing. I don't think you could go wrong with the specialized...or just keep old one and save up for an upper level bike?
    I love this post. I live and ride in Tahoe and everyone rides 6" bikes. It's the standard. Most rides are 1,500-3,000' vertical. 29ers and <5.5" travel bikes are more common in the smoother foothills.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Picked up my Specialized Enduro Comp 650b a couple of days ago and all I can say is "WOW"! I've been riding a XC 29er for the past year and was ready to move to a FS 29er. I decided on the Stump Jumper. When I went in to order I changed my mind and ordered the Enduro 27.5 instead. Couldn't be happier. Best bike I have ever ridden. It climbs well and absolutely rips on the way down. I recommend adding the dropper post and Woolf Tooth 42.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Wondering if anyone else had any feedback on this bike. There is one in the LBS and quoted me $3300 out the door. I think the price is good. The one thing that has me on the fence is that I have been riding fat bike as a year round bike for awhile now but I'm looking for Full Suspension, less weight, and more flickibility. I really like the way bigger tires lets you float over loose conditions better. Anymore little tires seem like riding on pizza cutter and feel sketchy. The one thing that held me back from buying this bike is that I think we maybe on the verge of an outbreak of the 650B+ platform and I think I would like that better. Many people are modifying 29ers to fit 650B+ but I want a turnkey bike. I'm no fabricator.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have the s-works enduro 650b. I love this bike. I don't have any negative to say. The only thing I don't like is its color .

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How does it climb?