Any disadvantages of low BB besides climbing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Any disadvantages of low BB besides climbing?

Are there any other obvious disadvantages of a low bottom bracket other than climbing and possibly clipping cranks on the way down? DH bikes are still around 340mm but with 200mm of travel what could actual bb height be? I only ask as the new evil insurgent in x-low is really low... Cheers

edit: found some other stuff regarding this online so all good thanks!
    Last edited by BakerFitness; 10-06-2015 at 02:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For me....the pedal strikes while pedaling through really rocky sections, especially uphill and flats next. DH- less of an issue.

jrm
    mtbr member
    The key is the 15 to 17mm sag they suggest. So in the lowest position with a 150mm your resulting BB height is somewhere around ~12.4 to 12.3~which isn't that low. If want a higher sagged BB ie: ~12.66-12.7~ then consider using a 160mm fork. IN the end your riding style will adjust to the lower CoG. Not to mention the bike will handle better...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A lower BB is less ground clearance. In particularly rocky technical terrain (think northern New England), a lower BB means more rock strikes - to your chainring/bashguard and not just pedals. If you're crawling up and over sharp pointy rocks, a super-low BB is a real PITA. This consideration isn't applicable everywhere, obviously.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    No, learn to ratchet the cranks and that will help you with the pedally technical stuff.
    No, there are times where ratcheting isn't an option and momentum is needed. Pedal strikes are going to happen, whether you know how to ratchet your cranks or not. They will happen more frequently with a lower bottom bracket. People that say "just ratchet" haven't ridden much technical pedally stuff, in my experience.

mtbr member
    Its not just pedal strikes. I had a 12.9bb xc bike and it would scrape the frame/bb itself. I really enjoy low speed rock crawling, going up and down. Taking the silly bad line off in the corner just to see if I can clear it. I have a 14.5 inch BB bike, and not much is off limits. My 12.9 inch bb bike was really no fun at all to do that on. Its only an inch and a half on paper, but man that makes an enormous difference.

mtbr member
    Harder to lift the front.

Trail Ninja
    More in the bike feel, more planted, which some people find is less desirable than an agile bike that floats. Reduces the lean angle that prevents you from pedaling too, especially if you have long feet and have a mid-foot over axle foot placement. If you're used to a road bike or HT (not too uncommon to see 300mm/11.8"), a FS with 330mm/13" BB shouldn't need much adjustment. Pedal strikes tend to mainly happen in the new-to-you bike adjustment phase, then becoming as rare as any other bike.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    1. Obviously pedal strikes.
    2. Makes your front end effectively higher. (May or may not be an issue).
    3. In theory at least, a bit harder to get the front end up.

Not many disadvantages.

The pedal strikes can be easily fixed by shorter cranks. You give up a bit of mechanical advantage with shorter cranks but that can be adjusted for by changing your gearing.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

dwt
    mtbr member

Any disadvantages of low BB besides climbing?

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    No, there are times where ratcheting isn't an option and momentum is needed. Pedal strikes are going to happen, whether you know how to ratchet your cranks or not. They will happen more frequently with a lower bottom bracket. People that say "just ratchet" haven't ridden much technical pedally stuff, in my experience.
    +1. The "ratchet the pedals" people are just like the "flow" people. The truth is that they don't ride technical terrain or if they do they ride it slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Its not just pedal strikes. I had a 12.9bb xc bike and it would scrape the frame/bb itself. I really enjoy low speed rock crawling, going up and down. Taking the silly bad line off in the corner just to see if I can clear it. I have a 14.5 inch BB bike, and not much is off limits. My 12.9 inch bb bike was really no fun at all to do that on. Its only an inch and a half on paper, but man that makes an enormous difference.
    I'm in agreement, though rocks, logs, etc. will hit your chainring(s) before the bb. Scraping your chainring messes up your balance & impedes forward movement of your bike. So I use chainrings 34t or less. I like the same sort of terrain, but fast as I can do it. Where if you don't ride tubeless, you constantly risk front pinch flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

TOP TIER LURKER
    I noticed the additional pedal/crank end strikes immediately.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...