mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Another 650b Rush

Hi

Newbie here. I have been watching the 650b forum with interest. Just completed building new wheels for a Rush. Hopefully, (if I know what I'm doing) this pic will show. Love the handling with the new wheels. I did need a spacer for the lefty (very easy to do).

Velocity Blunt rims
    Kenda Nevegal (2.1 rear, 2.35 front)
    Woodman Lefty front hub, XT rear
    About $380 with spokes

https://www.pbase.com/csd_5092/image...6/original.jpg
    Last edited by madog99; 08-26-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Witty McWitterson
    fixed it for you.

looks nice.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks, and how did you do that exactly?

mtbr member
    Love the white and blue color on that Rush!

mtbr member
    Nice--what model year is that? Did you have the swingarm brace to deal with?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Model Year

I am very interested in doing the exact same thing to a rush or prophet. What year's allow for the 650b wheels?

Is it all model year prohets and on pre-2007 rush's?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I believe the 2007 Rush and prior do not have the chainstay brace. This is a 2007

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madog99
    Thanks, and how did you do that exactly?
    Just use IMG and [ ] like this

mtbr member
    Just curious why did you have to reduce the travel? Are the Kendas that much bigger than the Qusi's or Racing Ralphs? I didn't have any issues with the full 110mm on my Rush or Niota. BTW what size is that? Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I added the spacer before I even put the tire on, as it appeared just too close for comfort. I only measure about 107mm of clearance with the tire on so limiting travel to 100mm is the safe bet. The bike is size large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    sorry to hijack your thread, I posted in a different thread without much response, wrong place. I also have a Rush - 08 model, I have the brace to deal with. maybe this thread will get more looks. this is what I was going to post under my post in "rush photos" I think it is more appropriate here.

I road the rush today without the brace (26" wheels), just unbolted it to see if there would be a noticeable difference. I road the same trails I always ride, technical, rooty, lots of short dips. I didn't notice anything different... maybe I am just willing it to be good? I think I will ride it without the brace for a little while (5-6 rides) then put it back on and ride it again to see if it feels stiffer. If all is good after this test I want to get the 650Bs

Anyone know if removing the brace is a "major" problem?
    I am 145lbs and ride the rear shock (RP23) in the "3 position" with the "pro peddle" on. my Rush is a med

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hphrush
    sorry to hijack your thread, I posted in a different thread without much response, wrong place. I also have a Rush - 08 model, I have the brace to deal with. maybe this thread will get more looks. this is what I was going to post under my post in "rush photos" I think it is more appropriate here.

I road the rush today without the brace (26" wheels), just unbolted it to see if there would be a noticeable difference. I road the same trails I always ride, technical, rooty, lots of short dips. I didn't notice anything different... maybe I am just willing it to be good? I think I will ride it without the brace for a little while (5-6 rides) then put it back on and ride it again to see if it feels stiffer. If all is good after this test I want to get the 650Bs

Anyone know if removing the brace is a "major" problem?
    I am 145lbs and ride the rear shock (RP23) in the "3 position" with the "pro peddle" on. my Rush is a med
    Here are two links with references to the brace. My Rush is a 2007 so I'm not sure exactly where the brace has been added, but obviously the bike worked fine before 2008 with no brace. You could try just converting the front initially to see if you like handling.

(Look on page two of the first link)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=482935

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=436460

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thats great info. I havent found those threads. looks like I need to get some new wheels!!
    Thank you

mtbr member
    I've got my 2008 Rush set up with the new 2.1 NeoMotos and it's a nice upgrade. I've had a bit more rotor rub with this setup but whether it's a brake adjustment issue, a removed brace issue or something else entirely, I'm not sure. Need to ride more and mess around with it more.

Some pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/407383...7621854804681/

Big shot of the swingarm clearance with brace removed:

Last edited by SteveF; 08-31-2009 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    According to my local rep, the swing arm was reworked in 08 to be 100gms lighter (so they say). Not sure if that number includes the weight of the brace and bolts but if they did go with a less beefy swingarm + brace to reduce weight it might be an issue, just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    10 4, worth a thought. I wish the brace would just fit on the other side of the mounts. May need to find someone to fab a new brace that will fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Speaking of a new brace... I've been toying with a AutoCAD file, waiting for free time to get our machine shop to produce a steel mockup. I was working with a U shaped piece instead of the square. The part that interferes is the center of the upper bracket. By going with a U shape, and making the holes slightly closer together to compensate for a weaker shape, I was hoping to obtain the same stiffness (not that I'd be able to tell). By eliminating the upper part of the brace, Neo's may clear, but Racing Ralphs or Quasi's should fit no problem.

maindude
    Aug 2009

Good job! What a beauty!

Damn, that's a beauty! Does it ride as nice as it looks? What is your assessment of the pros and con? Is it still quick? Is it more stable at speed? I have a 2006 alloy medium in jet black, want to do the same - tired of hitting bottom bracket. I am hoping I don't need a spacer, but if i do, did you get it from your Cannondale dealer? And if so, do you know if they offer a 5 mm spacer as well? How do you like your rims and tires, and are you running tubeless?

Thanks,
    Todd

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by maindude
    Damn, that's a beauty! Does it ride as nice as it looks? What is your assessment of the pros and con? Is it still quick? Is it more stable at speed? I have a 2006 alloy medium in jet black, want to do the same - tired of hitting bottom bracket. I am hoping I don't need a spacer, but if i do, did you get it from your Cannondale dealer? And if so, do you know if they offer a 5 mm spacer as well? How do you like your rims and tires, and are you running tubeless?

Thanks,
    Todd
    Thanks for the comments. I love the handling and happy with the results. I think the biggest "pro" is increased (maybe too much) confidence in rolling over obstacles, especially roots. I now seek out roots I used to avoid. There is noticeable improvement here. My bottom bracket is now at 13 1/4" vs. 12 1/2. The bike is very stable but that was not really a problem with 26" wheels either.

Let me be clear on the spacer. If I deflate the lefty and compress to full travel, I do not bottom out on the tire, but I'll bet there is less than 1mm of clearance. In fact, you might have a hard time sliding a business card in between the tire and crown. I've recently upgraded the lefty to a carbon SL and have the same results. I've also replaced the Nevegals with Neo-Moto 2.1's and still, same results. I'm more comfortable with a spacer to allow for any possible additional compression factors that I can't replicate in my garage. The spacer is very easy to install and Cannondale provides a spacer kit consisting of 3 10mm spacers for 29'er conversion. I used a nylon spacer (acquired at Lowe's) It's a 1(OD) X 1/2(ID) X 3/8 thick spacer. 3/8 is close enough to 10mm for me. I cut a pie shaped wedge (slightly less than 1/2 inch) so the spacer can be spread onto the shaft and then self held in place. It is installed just above the travel bumper which slides on the shaft. I think you can find some documentation on installation of the Cannondale kit but if not, let me know and I will make something up. You could certainly use a spacer of less thickness if desired.

I ran Nevegals (2.35 front, 2.1 rear) at first with tubes. I tried to mount them tubelss with a Stans kit but was not able to get them to inflate. I switched to the Neo-Moto's (2.1 f/r) and was easily able to get them to inflate tubeless. I'm not saying the Nevegals can't be done but it was difficult for me. I'm very happy with the Neo-Moto's and am running them tubeless at the moment. I've been experimenting with a 26" rear as well. I wouldn't hesitiate to go with that combo if you have any issues with rear installation (braces, spacing etc.). Obviously, a 26" wheel is going to be a little easier to spin up than a larger wheel.

The Velocity Blunt rims built up very easily. No issues. Hope this helps. Good luck with your conversion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Deleted

maindude
    Aug 2009
    Right on, thanks for the wealth of info. I think I will officially begin my quest of 650b conversion. Could you please elaberate a little more on the pie shaped wedge? Sometimes I am a little dense at times, I think it was all the endos in the late 80's with the super long stems and flat short bars on non suspended bikes. Thank god for the 90s, front suspension, rise bars, grunge music and micro brew everywhere. By the way, are your blunt rims 2009? I heard velocity upgraded the 2009 blunt rims to work better tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Have a look at this graphic and see if it helps. I cut the wedge shape out of the spacer with a fine tooth hacksaw and sanded down the edges. Again, this spacer can be found a Lowe's and is a nylon 1x1/2x3/8. Fits perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    wow, wonderful bike man
    Professional web designer

Members who have read this thread: 1