mtbr member

American Classic 650b xc tubeless?

I am looking at purchasing a new set of wheels and was wondering about the tubeless setup. Are you guys using stans kit, ghetto, tape/valves? I have seen a few mentions of them around here, but nothing specific. I am also keeping my eye on the Pacenti rims due out soon and the blunt sl's.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Running Neomoto 2.1 on WTB Laserdisc and Blunt rims; Neo 2.3 and Nevegal 2.1 on ZTR 355 rims. All gorilla ghetto; no rimstrips. Some initial difficulty seating on the WTB and Blunts ( the 355's are narrower and easier) but once mounted all are 100% reliable and solid, no burps whatsoever.

175 lbs; 23 psi front; 27 rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by J-RAD View Post
    I am looking at purchasing a new set of wheels and was wondering about the tubeless setup. Are you guys using stans kit, ghetto, tape/valves? I have seen a few mentions of them around here, but nothing specific. I am also keeping my eye on the Pacenti rims due out soon and the blunt sl's.
    I ran the AM classics with stans yellow tape and no rim strip with no problems. I also ran blunts for a season they were the hardest rims ever to seal up but once they sealed they worked no problem. I prefer stans rims they just work so flawlessly when run tubeless and they are currenly the lightest 650 available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The 650bxc's do not come tubeless ready, which puzzlled me. I have converted mine with the American Classic rim tape, valves and Stans sealant and have been real happy. I use Kenda Nevegals 2.1, the system has not lost air since I converted them 3 weeks ago. One thing I did notice though, the tires spun on the rim a few inches, but since have settled in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The banner advertiser...SIXFIFTY.com has the AC 650BXC wheel sets for $350!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe they have 4 left. I've been running them on my SS CARVER TI for over a year, they are light, strong and fairly quick engagement and quiet too. Not all noisy like hopes and Kings...boooo!

High Alpine Adventure
    AC 650bxc with DTSwiss/Lefty hubs... weren't cheap, but they're sweet. Run them with Racing Ralphs, taped with Stan's cores and latex sealent. Good to go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails American Classic 650b xc tubeless?-img_3834-web.jpg  

American Classic 650b xc tubeless?-img_3836-web.jpg  

Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I really just wanted to be sure that they could be converted to tubeless without having to use a rim strip. American Classic's description did not actually come out and say they were tubeless friendly/ready other than saying they could be used with a tubeless kit..

For those that have converted... Did you just use one wrap of the yellow tape and valves?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-RAD View Post
    For those that have converted... Did you just use one wrap of the yellow tape and valves?
    I used 3 wraps of gorilla tape. It's way cheaper than Stan's yellow, and I wanted the extra volume, though heavier, to help seat the beads. Valve and sealant all else that's needed. I've never used a rimstrip in any tubeless set up I've ever mounted in 5 years, and never will. I hate spending too much money on commercial stuff when DIY works just as well. I also use homebrew sealant, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been running them with just tape for the last year, however, I am now running them ghetto tubeless style....with Pacenti NeoMoto's. Getting them to seat was the biggest ***** ever, and I've been running tubeless and UST for almost 10 years. The shoulder area on the AC's aren't tall enough to help seat the tire, almost a 2 person job and 20 minutes later. Although one wheel took less than 4 minutes.....the other = forever and several cuss words.

I have rocky / technical terrain in my area, if I would "skirt" or rub the sidewall on some rocks, it would immediately loosen the bead and start going flat, mostly in the rear since most of your weight is there. Twice I had to throw a tube in because i couldn't get it to reseat on the trail.

Over all....I like them a lot. I got them at almost the same price as mentioned above, so the out of pocket cost was a no brainer. Ever since I went ghetto on these, bullet proof, no flats, no loss of air between rides (which would happen with just rim tape)

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man View Post
    Ever since I went ghetto on these, bullet proof, no flats, no loss of air between rides (which would happen with just rim tape)
    And there's the rub... for those just getting into tubless, understand that the rim strip (not tape) is the "recommended" route to go. And it isn't just about making money. If you want a bomb proof, won't roll off the bead solution, the rim strip is the way to go.

What happens with the Stans is it basically bonds the rim strip (softer rubber) to the bead of the tire. This is one of the reasons some tire manufacturers don't recommend using Stans in their tires. It tends to bubble the inner membrane of the carcus.

I use rims strips and they are great for enduro and free ride bikes. If I'm wanting a setup that will get me to the top of High Alpine Passes, miles from anywhere and I don't want to be stranded, I'm going rim strip!

For a lighter weight racing setup I use two passes of Stans yellow tape. It's a lot lighter and will hold fine for an XC/Marathon Race. Just be a little carefull how low you go on your tire pressures.

Another reason NOT to use a rim strip for racing, is if you do get a flat, it can be HELL trying to get a rim strip separated from the bead of a tire. In the middle of a race when seconds matter, I don't want to be messing with that!

And yes, a "Ghetto" setup (for those who don't know, it involves cutting an inner tube to make it a rim strip) is a good way to go, but again, try to find a light weight tube that will react with the Stans.

Either way, it's all good!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This wheelset + RR's has been my hardest ever to get to setup tubeless.....in the end I had to go with Stans Rim Strips, this is the first wheelset I've ever had to use strips on to setup tubeless...and I've done plenty 26/29rs.......

A combination of "loose" RR on a very deep "old school" rim/bead design.....

The tyre/wheelset has a lot of flex, so my next 650B move is to go Stans ZTR355 or Crests custom built.

The only reason I bought the wheelset was that it was the only "off the shelf" one available.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!

If anyone is interested....

....there is a set of American Classic Wheels with Nevagal 27.5 X 2.35 tires up for sale on E-Bay right now for 279.00 shipped. I am NOT the seller (nor do I know the guy) but if I was in the market for another set of 650B wheels I'd probably be all over this auction.

mtbr member
    Anyone had experience setting up the blunt SL's tubeless?
    with the neo-moto ?

what is the difference between Kirk's 650 rim and the Blunt's?
    not sure if the Kirk rim is the SL or the regular blunt?

how have those American classic hubs been holding up?

anyone have a personal scale weight on those Kenda 650b tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The AC 650B hubs have been fine...I actually just had my wheels re tensioned yesterday and everything was A-OK. Straight as an arrow.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man View Post
    The AC 650B hubs have been fine...I actually just had my wheels re tensioned yesterday and everything was A-OK. Straight as an arrow.....
    Yesterday while changing to 38/24 chainrings I had my wheels checked . Didn't have to touch'em.I'm impressed, thirteen months of use.

mtbr member
    I recently bought these wheels from Sixfifty for $330 shipped and convert them to tubeless using American classic tape and valves, with Racing Ralph tires. Had to use a couple of CO2 cartridges to make it work, the racing ralphs had a few small leaks here and there, but got sealed with Stans fluid. So far, so good!
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2
    Gone, but not forgotten:GT LTS-3, GT Zascar Expert Carbon, Look 986, Giant Anthem Advanced