mtbr member
    May 2015

Am I stupid?! Need some advice on 1x11 conversion

Ok, so I'm converting my girlfriends Specialized Jynx to a 1x. Before you tell me I should've just bought a new bike, I just wanted to do it this way because she loves the frame. We got a new Suntour Raidon RL fork through their upgrade program so I wanted to just do the whole bike.

I've got Shimano XT 11sp rear derailleur, XT 11sp 11-42 cassette, XT 11sp shifter, and a Deore/Mavic 11sp compatible 650b wheelset. Now here is where I'm clueless. I got a deal on SRAM GXP BB and SRAM NX 32t crank.

Is the crank being a different brand going to matter? Am I stupid?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by 218traverse; 08-22-2018 at 07:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Seems like it should work.....but I'm not that bright either.

mtbr member
    You'll be fine.
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

jrm
    mtbr member
    it should work and if its not up to speed just change the chainring a 30t RF. i guess your next question might be should you use a shimano or sram chain.

mtbr member
    SRAM chainrings are technically optimized for SRAM chains but you shouldn’t really have a problem. You didn’t mention what chain you were running. As someone else said, run a RaceFace 4 bolt chainring if it’s not direct mount, otherwise I’d run a WolfTooth direct mount chainring with a Shimano chain. The crank doesn’t matter but just make sure the chain matches the rear derailleur brand wise. It’s not that it wouldn’t shift with a SRAM chain, it just wouldn’t be as smooth. Also make sure you are running the long cage rear der for that big cassette. Yes technically the medium cage one works but it shifts soooo much better with the long cage!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ladywrench View Post
    SRAM chainrings are technically optimized for SRAM chains but you shouldn’t really have a problem. You didn’t mention what chain you were running. As someone else said, run a RaceFace 4 bolt chainring if it’s not direct mount, otherwise I’d run a WolfTooth direct mount chainring with a Shimano chain. The crank doesn’t matter but just make sure the chain matches the rear derailleur brand wise. It’s not that it wouldn’t shift with a SRAM chain, it just wouldn’t be as smooth. Also make sure you are running the long cage rear der for that big cassette. Yes technically the medium cage one works but it shifts soooo much better with the long cage!
    Well, the plan is to run the Ultegra 11 speed XT compatible chain, so we'll see if it has issues with the SRAM chainring. May have to switch to the Wolftooth direct mount if it's an issue. I bought the medium cage because it stated it was compatible so hopefully it works well! I use a KMC 11 speed chain with my other two fully SRAM groupset and that works great.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    The chainrings are gonna be jealous of the rear derailleur (what speed is that one? if 11spd, ok), but otherwise OK.

You shouldn't have needed a new wheelset since it came stock with Shimano hubs, but whatev.

Hope the GXP matches your bb shell.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    The chainrings are gonna be jealous of the rear derailleur (what speed is that one? if 11spd, ok), but otherwise OK.

You shouldn't have needed a new wheelset since it came stock with Shimano hubs, but whatev.

Hope the GXP matches your bb shell.
    Yeah as you can tell I'm not super experienced here... Realized I didn't need a new wheelset after I got one. All the XT stuff is 11sp. And the BB is 73mm so it should fit just fine.

mtbr member
    The rear derailleur needs to match the shifter, speed and brand.

But thats sort of it. You can absolutely use a sram chain with your XT rear derailleur and shifter. The crank doesnt matter, as long as its 11s.

I think shimano chains shift a little smoother in general, no matter what other gear you're using. Some people really dont like those pins though.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The rear derailleur needs to match the shifter, speed and brand.

But thats sort of it. You can absolutely use a sram chain with your XT rear derailleur and shifter. The crank doesnt matter, as long as its 11s.

I think shimano chains shift a little smoother in general, no matter what other gear you're using. Some people really dont like those pins though.
    Yeah the derailleur, shifter, and cassette are all new Shimano XT 11sp. The crank is a 32t SRAM.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Some people really dont like those pins though.
    I've used KMC/SRAM links with 10spd Shimano chains without issue. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work with 11spd, but I haven't "upgraded" yet to test this.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by 218traverse View Post
    Yeah as you can tell I'm not super experienced here... Realized I didn't need a new wheelset after I got one. All the XT stuff is 11sp. And the BB is 73mm so it should fit just fine.
    Live and learn, eh? All the rest sounds right. I guess now you have a backup if you kill a rim (or both).

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Live and learn, eh? All the rest sounds right. I guess now you have a backup if you kill a rim (or both).
    Haha yeah I just told my girlfriend to get another 11sp cassette and some road tires so she can have two bikes in one.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Not sure if you guys care but I did it! Put it all together got it all torqued right, got the derailleur set up, got the fork pumped up. It all works smooth as butter. Gonna have to revisit the cable routing at the front probably.

Thanks for the help. And the Shimano chain pins are just fine to remove?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Looks great!
    A shimano chain that doesnt use a powerlink, will need a special pin to join it again. Don´t use the one you randomly choose to remove