Advice for beginner - Ghost Kato 5 or Norco Sight Alloy 7.2?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Advice for beginner - Ghost Kato 5 or Norco Sight Alloy 7.2?

So I have a couple options of bikes around my price point ($2,200 CAD).

One is a Norco Sight Alloy 7.2 with a slew of parts I'm not sure are good or not (Manitou fork, Monarch R rear shock, Avid DB1 brakes) - Norco Bicycles

And the other choice is a Ghost Kato 5 with Most Deore and XT components. Ghost Kato FS 5 Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Any advice as to which is the better buy?

mtbr member
    I have not heard any thing about ghost and have not ridden either. IMHO I have read lots of good things about the sight, so that would lead me to it, the spec on the ghost is slightly better but I don't feel like it is much of a gap. The rear shock on the sight is lacking in terms of adjust ability and don't know much about the manitou fork. Have you tested either for sizing, fit is a big deal which one feel's good and which lbs has better service. Also Giant has some offerings in this price range 2400$msrp Trance 2 worth looking at. Have you considered used? Might be able to get higher spec bike lightly used. At the end of the trail the only thing that matters is the smile on you're face.

Shawn

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I had a chance to jump on a Ghost Kato 7 (the 5s had not yet been assembled) yesterday and the bike felt dialed in and precise, but I kind of felt perched atop it. By comparison I tried a Kona Process 134 and I just sunk right into that bike and felt at home on it - the smile factor on that bike was huge.
    Unfortunately the shop that had the Sight was closed, but I'll report back once I get on it.
    I've looked around for used, but nothing has come up just yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Sight's worst shortcoming are the Avid brakes. Upgrade these for Deore, SLX, or XT for relatively cheap if you shop around.

Or go and check out the used Sights on PB's buy/sell classified to see what's available in your size and price range.

Good luck.