Thread: 656'er

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

656'er

My dad recently switched over to 650b, and after a few months on them, he's got me seriously interested in them.

A 650b wheel will fit into my fork, but it won't fit my frame (2011 Trek Top Fuel), so I was thinking of switching to a 650b front and 26 rear. How much would this raise my front end up? I'd like to keep it about the same height as it currently is by reducing the travel slightly.

Also, are the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs much bigger than the Quasi Moto?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86 View Post
    My dad recently switched over to 650b, and after a few months on them, he's got me seriously interested in them.

A 650b wheel will fit into my fork, but it won't fit my frame (2011 Trek Top Fuel), so I was thinking of switching to a 650b front and 26 rear. How much would this raise my front end up? I'd like to keep it about the same height as it currently is by reducing the travel slightly.

There is more to the geometry change than just an increase in height the trail figure changes as well. I had a Pike U-turn fork when I went to a 650b front and dropped the front from 140mm to 120mm to put the steering back in range. Even @ 120mm the larger 650b still had a different feel to the steering.

NedwannaB

Which fork?

If it's a Fox 100mm depending on model I think you can drop it to 90 with a 10mm shim that would essentually get it back to stock geo.This coming from another 650B Dad, I'd get the wheel going and try the setup with your fork as-is first. You may like the change. It's alot less drastic then you'd think, with added benifits. RR at 2.25 are bigger. If this is a more of a race then trail rig I'd drop the fork and go with the RR up front.

^^^Just my $.02.

I've converted one140mm full suspension and 2 hardtails to 650. I'm running both ht's 650, probably going to put the 26" wheel back on the fs for more clearence during muddy winter months.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Keen, I full expect it to change the way it handles, hopefully I'll like the change though!

Jmac 47, this is a race bike so I'll most likely drop it to 90mm, which, assuming I like the 650b front, will work out nicely, since the fork will need a rebuild soon anyways. Do you have any experience with the Racing Ralph on rocky terrain?

Also, will my Fox need a travel limiter (so the crown doesn't hit the tire)?

Thanks guys!

NedwannaB

No travel limit

Jmac 47, this is a race bike so I'll most likely drop it to 90mm, which, assuming I like the 650b front, will work out nicely, since the fork will need a rebuild soon anyways. Do you have any experience with the Racing Ralph on rocky terrain?

Also, will my Fox need a travel limiter (so the crown doesn't hit the tire)?

Thanks guys!
    Not that I know of. Otherwise Fox would offer it and disregard the voided warranties when using anything other then 26" tires.

No experience with either quasi/rr (do have with Neomoto/Nevegal/Wolverines) but if it's rockyier terrain it seems the rr would be better, as would the Nevegal, and Wolverine. That's my XC 650tire I use on the travel trail bike. Just won't fair well with winter coming on here where I ride. But will be almost new for when Spring/Summer comes around.

So it's Nevegals on the SS, and Neo's on the geared race bike now hanging in the garage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks JMac! Hopefully I'll get to test out a 650b wheel soon!

NedwannaB

Test solution

Thanks JMac! Hopefully I'll get to test out a 650b wheel soon!
    Easy, grab your Dad's wheel when he's taking a nap after his next ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    RR has good traction on rocks, but the sidewalls are pretty thin, so you have to watch out. They also are completely useless when its muddy. They don't shed mud well, so even if you get out of the mud, they hold onto so much mud that they still slip around. They are my favorite dry/summer tire, but I switch to Nevegals or Neos in the winter when it starts getting muddy.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

TNC
    noMAD man
    I've been running the 650/26 setup for years on 2 different bikes...a Nomad and a Stumpjumper. My Stumpy will take a 650B on the rear, but I like 26 on back. As to it changing the geo and handling, of course it will. However, I like what it does to a bike. I like a slacker front, the better rollover, and the cornering influence of the taller front...just like my dirt motor...LOL!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I rode my Top Fuel 9.8 with 650b up front and 26 out back for a year. Did not change a thing, and it rode like a dream. I could not imagine going back to a 26 on the front. I've ridden 26" bikes 29" bikes 69er, and without a doubt, this was my favorite set up by far. By the way, I have not ridden a full 650b bike, but I don't see the point in 650b rear wheel.
    '

mtbr member

agreed

Totally agree with the 650B up front. Loving my first two rides on my 9.9. Need a Racing Ralph up front as the Nevegal is super heavy compared to my Karma. 656'er-650b-conv.jpg

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    ... but I don't see the point in 650b rear wheel.
    '
    Here's a few for individual preference ... To retain quicker handling geometry, reduced rolling resistance, to raise the bottom bracket for fewer pedal strikes, and if full suspension to allow deeper rear sag without increasing pedal strikes.

It's mostly for handling preference, and the lower rolling resistance is very noticeable too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the help guys, getting excited to try something new!
    BTW, nyrdrms, nice bike!

mtbr member
    Why not using a 29er front wheel with fox 34 140mm? Flipped stem and flat bar to lower the cockpit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    LOL, ok let me get right on that, Davidcopperfield.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield View Post
    Why not using a 29er front wheel with fox 34 140mm? Flipped stem and flat bar to lower the cockpit?
    Pfft... why even bother just get a 36" front wheel.

TNC
    noMAD man
    LOL!...DC, you're as predictable as an "occupy wallstreeter" needing a bath.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield View Post
    Or why not just dig a tunnel to China. Your response is so far off the OP's question. Besides, that is just plain silly.

mtbr member

Props

Thanks for the props. I love this setup though I must admit the front tire is an anchor. But, I have a Quasi Moto on the way that will be used for racing. The Nevegal is perfect for winter riding in leaves. My 2012 frame will be in shortly. I'll post picks and specs after buildup.

mtbr member

Another B6

Another proponent of the 650b front with a 26" rear here. I've been riding my Truth with this setup for a year now and love it. It just feels so right. Once you ride this setup you'll wonder why all bikes aren't setup with this wheel combo.

As for the front suspension, I did drop to an 80mm WB fork from 100mm to neutralize the impact of the additional height and trail of the 650b.

Oh, and I run the Racing Ralphs and love them. Light and hook up nicely on most terrain, but would agree with the comments on mud. It's not a mud tire for sure. I have a Nevegal but haven't had much neeed for it since the trails here in the Atlanta area all close when wet. So ironically no mud riding in Georgia (go figure!). The Nevegal is very heavy in comparison to the RR.

NedwannaB

There you go COLIN!

Quote Originally Posted by michael9218 View Post
    Another proponent of the 650b front with a 26" rear here. I've been riding my Truth with this setup for a year now and love it. It just feels so right. Once you ride this setup you'll wonder why all bikes aren't setup with this wheel combo.

As for the front suspension, I did drop to an 80mm WB fork from 100mm to neutralize the impact of the additional height and trail of the 650b.

Oh, and I run the Racing Ralphs and love them. Light and hook up nicely on most terrain, but would agree with the comments on mud. It's not a mud tire for sure. I have a Nevegal but haven't had much neeed for it since the trails here in the Atlanta area all close when wet. So ironically no mud riding in Georgia (go figure!). The Nevegal is very heavy in comparison to the RR.
    Another happy 656 proponent. thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrdrms View Post
    Totally agree with the 650B up front. Loving my first two rides on my 9.9. Need a Racing Ralph up front as the Nevegal is super heavy compared to my Karma.
    The RR is a super sweet tire. As mentioned elsewhere, the only thing it has going against it is the side-walls are a bit delicate. As for the balance between weight, grip and speed it is hard to beat...grip is the least of the 3, but it still sticks much better than you'd expect, IMHO.

NedwannaB

Suggestion....

Quote Originally Posted by nyrdrms View Post
    Totally agree with the 650B up front. Loving my first two rides on my 9.9. Need a Racing Ralph up front as the Nevegal is super heavy compared to my Karma. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	650B conv.jpg 
Views:	656 
Size:	333.9 KB 
ID:	654744
    Lose the stem stack, throw on the RR and you'll really notice an improvement!

Just say'n

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm thinking B6'r rolls off the tongue.

After finishing my 650b conversion, I'd say the front gets aboot 70% of the goods delivered. I was good with the front only, but my bike is light in the front and the weight bias should be maintained with a DW or Quad-Link rear.

Maybe a 650b on the back of a quick 29'r someday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I ride a Top Fuel too.
    Lowered the front fork to 80 mm.
    It's fine '-)

mtbr member
    Yeah...Love my Top Fuel. Check out my photo album for more pics on the 650B. If you have any other questions let me know, I'm on facebook under rockguard (more pics on there). I'm thinking about dropping my fork to 90mm. Did you buy the spacer or make it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'll have a look

Spacers are standard Fox components, so that makes it easy.
    Look at : Changing 32 mm FLOAT & F-Series Fork Travel

Members who have read this thread: 0