mtbr member
    Sep 2005

650's at NAHBS...

For those that had the opportunity to attend the Indy show...what did y'all see out there in the 650b category?

Despite being there for 4 days, I never got out of my own booth to look around

I'm hopeful that the wheel size had a push this year from the custom builders, fingers crossed for some positive reports.

cheers,

rody
    As requested by the MTBR gods, I am the voice of Groovy Cycleworks, check it out... http://www.groovycycleworks.com

mtbr member
    I saw one from Yipsan - sweet

One from Iglehart with Hammerschmidt - sweet

One from Shamrock Cycles - really cool

A couple of yours - super sweet

All via photos online though - and not in person.

One thing I gotta say is that I'm not a big fan of the looks of the new Chris King headset/headtube deal that I saw on a few of the NAHBS bikes. Something about them just doesn't look "right" to my eyes.

The Shamrock and Iglehart both featured those headsets.

Rody - did any of your frames/bikes get honorable mention for "best paint?"

The blue and gold bike is my new desktop background. That is such a wicked cool bike - well done on that one sir!!!
    Last edited by MMcG; 03-02-2009 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well, it sounds like there was at least a smattering of 650 out there, too bad there was not more, it's a size that evokes many positive benefits.

The new insets from King were prevelent as Jay offered free headtubes and killer pricing on the insets just to see what builders would do with them. I think there are some real opportunities for the piece, it just was not demonstrated in the best light given the short time span with which to work with it.

MMcG, thanks for the kind words on the paint, all of them were fun to do. No honorable mention for me...

cheers,

rody
    As requested by the MTBR gods, I am the voice of Groovy Cycleworks, check it out... http://www.groovycycleworks.com

rmb
    mtbr member
    Rody - did any of your frames/bikes get honorable mention for "best paint?"
    That and more, great stuff.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    The 650b Erikson with the Ventana rear end was pretty sweet!

Cheers,

KP

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I too was there via web only, but I would say there was more than a 'smattering'. Seemed like all the big guys, esp the ti builders had a 650b on display.

Yeah Rody that blue and gold bike is killer. I think the guys that actually do their own paint deserve mention for sure. And then making your own parts as well... impressive.

The show seems a bit road centric when push comes to shove. I believe best 'off road bike' was a xbike! Seems like that could be it's own category, and they could have a 'best mtb' award.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Some Eriksen 650's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by skifastchad; 03-03-2009 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There are nice shots of 650b's from Groovy, Shamrock, Igleheart and others at the Dirtrag gallery.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/gal/showgallery.php?cat=757

hiya
    Jan 2008

Eriksen 650b

Kent himself now rides a 650b bike and accordingly won a race on it recently. He is fully behind this wheel size for people of certain height range.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Looks like 3 of the 650 frames got some press from the show on Velonews...

http://www.velonews.com/article/8889...y-at-indy-zack

It's been cool to see all the middlin tired bikes on the various flickr pages, many more than I thought.

Mr. Pacenti, did you attend this year? I lugged that darn fork blade along hoping to give it to you to no avail...back into the "need to ship when I remember pile"

cheers,

rody

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rody
    Looks like 3 of the 650 frames got some press from the show on Velonews...

http://www.velonews.com/article/8889...y-at-indy-zack

It's been cool to see all the middlin tired bikes on the various flickr pages, many more than I thought.

Mr. Pacenti, did you attend this year? I lugged that darn fork blade along hoping to give it to you to no avail...back into the "need to ship when I remember pile"

cheers,

rody
    Rody,

No, I passed this year... needed a break from the show scene.

Never fear, I will be at NAHBS next year with a bunch of new stuff. Speaking of which, get that blade down to me ASAP... working on new blades now!

Cheers,

KP

mtbr member

650b FS

Glad to see the 650b movement gaining some momentum... as a 6'-2" rider, I am patiently waiting for a well designed 650b FS to hit the market as a reasonable price point... I follow this board to get the low down from the pioneers in the movement....Anybody have any experience with the Ventana FS design.. from the looks of it.. single pivot design... I wonder out loud if the Ti Ericson 650b FS would be too flexy for technical singletrack riding...

mtbr member

groovy cycles

Checkin out the pictures of the 650b bikes and noticed the very functional shape and contour of the handlebars on the Groovy Cycles.... what a great concept... I am gonna be trying to locate a set of these bars ASAP

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidw
    I wonder out loud if the Ti Ericson 650b FS would be too flexy for technical singletrack riding...
    Any Eriksen is going to be custom built based on the customer's needs and wants. Kent will build it so it's not flexy.

loud hubs save lives
    ingleheart:

groovy:

Members who have read this thread: 0