Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    333

    650b Wheelset Weight...

    hello all,

    i am going 650b front and back on my homegrown...no cassette just single speed...

    my current build list-

    hubs: shimano m756 (f/r)
    hoops: velocity blunts
    spokes: dt swiss comp
    nips: dt swiss brass
    tires: nevegal or neo

    considering all the posted weights for the above listed my build with wheelset, tubes, and tires the weight for my specific wheelset will range from 9.5-10.5lbs (approx 4600g)...is this within reason...?

    my question to you all is what is your approx weight of your 650b wheelsets...? share pics if available along with any other input...
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

  2. #2
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,860
    The stock wheels that came on my Beasley geared, with shimano centerlock hubs on weinmann discovery rims, with straight gauge spokes and gold annodized alloy nipples, neomotos and kenda 650B tubes combined are about 9 pounds.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  3. #3
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    I used to keep a piece of paper with this written down by my computer, but it's disappeared. At the shop I weighed my CrossMax XL front with a 2.5 WTB Weirwolf Race tire. That tire weighs exactly the same as the 2.3 Neo...the 2.5 size of the Weirwolf is really more like a 2.3. I then weighed my 650B Blunt with 14/15 DT spokes and a convertible 20mm Dimension hub with a Neo. They were almost exactly the same weight. Now, the CrossMax XL is not as light as the newer CrossMax ST, but it's no boat anchor by any means. If you keep wheel build components reasonable, weight is not a big factor when considering 650B.

  4. #4
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,562
    Hope Pro II hubs, Velocity Blunt wheels, DT Swiss Comp spokes.

    1970 g
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 11-14-2009 at 05:11 PM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    333
    without tubes, tires, or discs the front 1015g and the rear is 1209g...comin in at 2224g for complete wheelset...approx 4.89lbs...

    is that kind of weight about average for a 650b wheelset...?
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ragetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    582
    verlocity blunt 605b rims in white, sapim 2.0/1.8 spokes, nipples, hope pro 2 hubs, otherwise bare:

    front 895g (with Maverick hub adapter, so around 840g for 20mm thru axle)
    rear 975g
    Last edited by ragetty; 11-05-2009 at 12:57 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,461
    Quote Originally Posted by adubb25
    without tubes, tires, or discs the front 1015g and the rear is 1209g...comin in at 2224g for complete wheelset...approx 4.89lbs...

    is that kind of weight about average for a 650b wheelset...?
    I am not sure what the average weight is of a 650b wheelset, but yours seems pretty heavy. I know Shimano hubs are very heavy. I only have a 650b front, I ride XC so its pretty light at 660g, which is 100g lighter than my 26" wheel. It is a American Classic hub with Stans rim and Sapim CX-ray spokes.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    333
    if i go surly hubs (f/r) i cut approx 80g on front and 130g on the rear...basically cutting a 1/2lb...

    and i could shave another 60-80g via spoke choice...makin it a true 1/2#

    by choosing pacenti quasi-motos instead of nevegals/neos i could shave almost another pound...

    i am sold on blunts for hoops, yet open to any ideas on hubs, spokes, etc...i am not a weight weenie b/c i am 230#, middle of the road (ie no need for total lightness with a need that wont damage the bank account)...open to suggestions...!?!?!
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

  9. #9
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,021
    Quote Originally Posted by adubb25
    hello all,

    i am going 650b front and back on my homegrown...no cassette just single speed...

    my current build list-

    hubs: shimano m756 (f/r)
    hoops: velocity blunts
    spokes: dt swiss comp
    nips: dt swiss brass
    tires: nevegal or neo

    considering all the posted weights for the above listed my build with wheelset, tubes, and tires the weight for my specific wheelset will range from 9.5-10.5lbs (approx 4600g)...is this within reason...?

    my question to you all is what is your approx weight of your 650b wheelsets...? share pics if available along with any other input...
    Whoa... and I thought my wheel set was heavy:
    Rims: Velocity Blunts
    Spokes: Sapim Race
    Nipples: Sapim alu Polyax
    Hubs: Vision 360 (locally-branded, made by Taiwanese brand Da Bomb)

    Front 980g


    Rear 1240g


    Total would be 2220g, less the ~180g rotors = 2040g (~4.5lbs).
    Most of the weight is due to the hubs (similar weight to Shimano Deores), what with sealed cartridge bearings and a steel freehub body.

    I didn't weigh my tires, but going by published estimates, 750g for the Neo front and 550g for the Quasi rear, plus 2 tubes (~400g) would get a total of 3740g (~8.2lbs).

    FWIW, these go on a converted to SS Schwinn Moab 3. I hope to get some decent shots of the whole bike and post them as soon as I get the chance.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    FWIW, these go on a converted to SS Schwinn Moab 3. I hope to get some decent shots of the whole bike and post them as soon as I get the chance.
    craziness...i used to have 00 moab 2 and the bike that this wheelset is going on is a 01 homegrown...weird eh

    i only hope that my weight can be minimized abit...what did the white blunts run you for cost...?
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

  11. #11
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,021
    Quote Originally Posted by adubb25
    craziness...i used to have 00 moab 2 and the bike that this wheelset is going on is a 01 homegrown...weird eh

    i only hope that my weight can be minimized abit...what did the white blunts run you for cost...?
    Got my Blunts from Red Barn. Give Chad a call... tell him Israel sent ya
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,018
    Stans/ hope pro 2 front/ DT 2.0/1.5/Revo = 728g

    Stans/Lefty hub/DT Comps = 690ish g

    Alex TD-Lite/Woodman Lefty/ DT comps = I think this one will come close to 800g, haven't weighed yet.

    Don't currently have any rear weights.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.