mtbr member
    Jan 2010

650b wheelset recommendations

I'm looking for a set of 650b wheels for my Sette Reken urban bike. It mostly gets ridden around town for commuting, microbrew tours and beer runs. Knowing me, they'll eventually get some trail use as well. I'm looking for something not terribly heavy but that has a decent hub and rolls fairly well. I don't want to spend a bundle on them considering their intended use.

One thought was to buy something prebuilt but I can't seem to find anything in my price range (approx $300ish) that I like. The closest I've found is the P35 XT wheelset at sixfifty.com. I'm not crazy about the XT hubs and those wheels are a bit heavy. I'm not having any luck finding anything else.

My LBS says they can build something for me but that's going to be well out of my price range for basically the same wheel.

Does anyone have a recommendation for me other than these two options?

Thanks in advance.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    After further consideration and review... **** it. I'm just going to order the P-35 XT wheelset.

Thanks anyway.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Try ebay. They likely won't be top of the line wheels, but that's your best shot to get into your price range. Or buy used.

Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    Try ebay. They likely won't be top of the line wheels, but that's your best shot to get into your price range. Or buy used.

Fred
    Funny you mention ebay. I found the same wheels there by sixfifty.com for about $70 more on there than on their website.

I found and bought a used set earlier this eve. We'll see how they work out. If I'm not happy with them I'll order the Velocity set.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent

mtbr member
    Last edited by Morpheous; 12-27-2011 at 11:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm looking at a ss 650b wheel set as well. I wanted something cheap as a trial period, and saw the same wheel set; but even for that I think is too cheap. Go to prowheelbuilders.com and you should be able to find something reasonable there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 40er View Post
    I'm looking at a ss 650b wheel set as well. I wanted something cheap as a trial period, and saw the same wheel set; but even for that I think is too cheap. Go to prowheelbuilders.com and you should be able to find something reasonable there.
    Yep, good suggestion. I was poking around on there late last night. They have lots of build choices. I could definitely see buying from them in the future.

I'm going to give these used wheels a shot. I got them relatively cheap. Not so sure about the quality of them. They are never used take offs from a KHS 650 606, IIRC. If they suck I'll be upgrading with a quickness.

I'd definitely welcome more suggestions though. I'm sure others could benefit from the info as well.

Thanks again for the help.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent