Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckie33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    760

    650B Velocity Blunt Question

    So I just got a set of 650B Blunt rims and had a front wheel built on a Hope Pro II. Back to come later as funds do.

    I notice all the ones posted on here have the white velocity written on the rim like this one:
    http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=633

    Mine is plain black and doesn't have any writing on it like this one with the same stickers but black:
    http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=676

    Mine is a 650B size though I think as the builder would have told me if it wasn't and had to contact Velocity to get the spoke length since he'd never done one that size. Is there any difference in the two rims? Reason I ask is that it doesn't seem to be much bigger than my 26" but it is a tiny bit. Also, a Panaracer Fire Pro 650B tire was hard as hell to get mounted using a tube and almost seemed too small. I'm a newb to all this so take it easy on me with stupidity.

    One more for you, the 2.1" tire is narrower(width wise) and shorter(doesn't rise off the rim as much) than my previous Specialized 2.0. Is that normal?
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    So I just got a set of 650B Blunt rims and had a front wheel built on a Hope Pro II. Back to come later as funds do.

    I notice all the ones posted on here have the white velocity written on the rim like this one:
    http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=633

    Mine is plain black and doesn't have any writing on it like this one with the same stickers but black:
    http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=676

    Mine is a 650B size though I think as the builder would have told me if it wasn't and had to contact Velocity to get the spoke length since he'd never done one that size. Is there any difference in the two rims? Reason I ask is that it doesn't seem to be much bigger than my 26" but it is a tiny bit. Also, a Panaracer Fire Pro 650B tire was hard as hell to get mounted using a tube and almost seemed too small. I'm a newb to all this so take it easy on me with stupidity.

    One more for you, the 2.1" tire is narrower(width wise) and shorter(doesn't rise off the rim as much) than my previous Specialized 2.0. Is that normal?
    The small logos are the current production.

    Your wheel builder should have been able to measure the rim and calculate the spoke lengths himself. It is a basic part of building wheels.

    650B rims are exactly 25mm larger diameter than (mtb) 26".

    How to mount tires or video
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The small logos are the current production.

    Your wheel builder should have been able to measure the rim and calculate the spoke lengths himself. It is a basic part of building wheels.

    650B rims are exactly 25mm larger diameter than (mtb) 26".

    How to mount tires or video
    Dadburnit, shiggy...is this the reason we were supposed to be paying attention in geometry class?

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Dadburnit, shiggy...is this the reason we were supposed to be paying attention in geometry class?
    I just measure the components and use the online DT Swiss Spoke Calc program.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I just measure the components and use the online DT Swiss Spoke Calc program.
    Me too.

    But I'm glad at least the people at DT were paying attention in geometry class.

    Also, the QBP Wheelhouse program has the specs on their online wheel building selection for the Blunt and Hope Pro II hub. Most shops have an account with QBP and can easily access it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckie33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    760
    Well I don't know anything about building wheels but he said he had to contact Velocity. I will defend him though as an awesome wheelbuilder. Been doing it forever and every wheel he builds is solid and true and he stands behind his work 100%.

    Had my first ride on it yesterday and absolutely love it. The geometry is not really affected that much. I noticed it some on steeper climbs but that's it. After a few rides, I may make some adjustments to fix this. I immediately noticed the difference on downhills and rolling through roots. Downhills felt much faster as was cornering. Can't confirm since my computer doesn't have the right 650B setting. What setting do you set your comp to get the right speed? It has a 650bx20c whatever that is but that doesn't seem right. Its an old basic Spec. comp too so some of the more advanced one may have the right settings.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

  7. #7
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    I doubt any bike computer has the 650B size options in their "quick" wheel size setup. You'll have to do a "rollout" or a careful diameter computation to get your 4-digit wheel circumference value. Do you still have your Spec Speedzone booklet? Out on your driveway or other smooth concrete surface, put a dab of liquid shoe polish on a spot on the front tire. Roll the bike forward, keeping it dead straight. Measure the distance between the center of the two dots on the ground in millimeters with a tape measure. That's your wheel circumference. If you just have an inch tape measure, multiply the distance by 25.4. Enter the 4-digit number into your Comp.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    270
    My blunt came with the white velocity stickers, but I peeled them off and now they probably look like your rim (black, no writing anywhere).

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckie33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I doubt any bike computer has the 650B size options in their "quick" wheel size setup. You'll have to do a "rollout" or a careful diameter computation to get your 4-digit wheel circumference value. Do you still have your Spec Speedzone booklet? Out on your driveway or other smooth concrete surface, put a dab of liquid shoe polish on a spot on the front tire. Roll the bike forward, keeping it dead straight. Measure the distance between the center of the two dots on the ground in millimeters with a tape measure. That's your wheel circumference. If you just have an inch tape measure, multiply the distance by 25.4. Enter the 4-digit number into your Comp.

    I saw that 4 digit number setting when scrolling through all the sizes but had no idea what it was. Thanks for the help.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

  10. #10
    There's no bugs in snow!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13
    The large Blunt stickers were the first production run from what I understand.

    I had a pair that I tried to set up tubeless with a NeoMoto and Stans Tape. The tire blew off the rim after I inflated it and let it sit while I worked on the other wheel. I set the wheels up with tubes and ran them for six months or so.

    I eventualy found a crack in the Blunt and contacted M.D. at Velocity to get a warranty rim set out. When It showed up it looked very plain with a small 'Phillies Blunt' looking sticker. When I called M.D. he said that they had incresed the diameter of the 650b Blunts due to complaints that the NeoMotos were blowing off the rims when set up tubeless.

    BIKE COMPANIES.....

    Take note from the actions of Velocity and Listen to your Customers and Respond.
    Let's put more butts in more seats.... Pedal your FAT ass off.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.