mtbr member
    Jan 2004

650b Turner RFX ride impressions -

Started my 08' RFX w/ a front 650b only and Pike fork. Had a little too much steering flop even though the Pike is shorter than spec'd and w/ the 650b ( the angle gauge shows 68* HA) the trail #'s are off so I decided to have a rear wheel built. Steering is now acceptable, still has a hint of slow speed flop. Traction has improved not sure if it comes from the Neo-moto's or larger wheels. Rolling resistance seems to be higher, again not sure if its tires or larger wheels. Descending seems to roll over things slightly better. Climbing over chunk is the one area I noticed the biggest difference - motors smoothly in this situation. Manualling and putzing around is a little tougher (reminds me of riding my BMX bike then hopping on a 10speed) I'll need some more ride time then a switch back to 26er's to gain a better feel for the differences.

www.derbyrims.com
    The world's first 650b RFX? Let's see some pics including rear stay clearances.

I think heavier than average weight riders feel more noticeable benefit for rolling resistance improvements and other gains in efficiencies.

Regarding wheel flop, I've noticed that lowering the handlebars, even just 5mm, makes a noticeable reduction in the flop feeling of any size wheel. Yesterday I replaced and upgraded to a better headset and stem, and without chaining my spacers under the new stem the bars were 5mm taller. So I went for a ride. The standing reach to the bars was easier while on pedaling on flats but the front wheel felt more floppy. Half way around the ride I decided I had to lower the stem back down and spent the time to move the spacers, and had to stop a second time quickly on this cold day to better true up the steering alignment. The reduced bar height returned my upper weight balance to familiar and the floppy feel was reduced and familiar again too. Maybe the sag is a little deeper and steeper, but climbing while topped out also was less floppy feeling. (Just my experience, your results may differ.)
    Last edited by derby; 02-22-2009 at 07:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    The world's first 650b RFX? Let's see some pics including rear stay clearances.

I think heavier than average weight riders feel more noticeable benefit for rolling resistance improvements and other gains in efficiencies.

Regarding wheel flop, I've noticed than lowering the handlebars, even just 5mm, makes a noticeable reduction in the flop feeling of any size wheel. Yesterday I replaced and upgraded to a better headset and stem, and without chaining my spacers under the new stem the the bars were 5mm taller. So I went for a ride. The standing reach to the bars was easier while on pedaling on flats but the front wheel felt more floppy. Half way around the ride I decided I had to lower the stem back down and spent the time to move the spacers, and had to stop a second time quickly on this cold day to better true up the steering alignment. The reduced bar height returned my upper weight balance to familiar and the floppy feel was reduced and familiar again too. Maybe the sag is a little deeper and steeper, but climbing while topped out also was less floppy feeling. (Just my experience, your results may differ.)
    Here are a couple so so clearance pic's there is about a pencils width clearance above and below. I have a 25* rise stem and 2.5" riser bars that could add to the effect - hey I am 6'4". My bike doesn't photo well - no bling and has been labeled very blue collar

{QUOTE} I think heavier than average weight riders feel more noticeable benefit for rolling resistance improvements and other gains in efficiencies.

Why is that ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    My bike doesn't photo well - no bling and has been labeled very blue collar
    Isn't "Turner" bling in and of itself?

You just need to learn how to focus.

Sounds like a nice ride!

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by keen

{QUOTE} I think heavier than average weight riders feel more noticeable benefit for rolling resistance improvements and other gains in efficiencies.

Why is that ?
    Heavier riders gain more from increased technical (and skill) efficiencies because our power to weight is often not as good as lighter riders with legs nearly or just as strong. For example, and maybe it's just my experience, but light riders about 155 lbs or lighter almost always have a much easier time climbing than me at 200 lbs even if I ride 20 times as much as they do.

And technical inefficiencies move weight in directions away from the easiest line from "point a" to "point b". For example, bigger wheels bridge gaps and bumps in the trail with less deviation from the smoother and straighter line from "point a" to "point b". And if the bigger wheels are not significantly heavier, there's no significant inefficiency in weight load.

As a heavier rider, I really notice technical improvements that make my riding easier and feel more balanced.

I'm not saying more efficient is always better. For example, launching bigger jumps may be way more fun than doing smaller jumps or no jumps, but larger jumps are usually less efficient, if ground speed and time from "point a" to "point b" is the measure of efficiency.

Looks like your RFX has plenty of clearance in those stays for most mud conditions and otherwise. I have only about 4mm clearance and rarely notice any clearance hangups in my NorCal coastal range mud. I would like another 4mm added clearance, and I'm looking for another bike that will give me more clearance and is designed for a coil shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Isn't "Turner" bling in and of itself?

Don't think my RFX meets Turner forum criteria. The fork is only 140mm of travel - Turner forum states I must have 150mm + . I run a 7.875 x 2" shock for 140mm of rear travel , Turner forum states I should be riding a 5 Spot. Lastly my bike gets washed only when it rains

Members who have read this thread: 0