Thread: 650B Turner RFX

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

650B Turner RFX

I have a 2006 Turner RFX right now with Rock Shox Lyrik U-turn on the front. I am considering giving the 650B thing a try on it and wanted to see if anyone has any input.

1. anybody tried 650B in the RFX? The 2006 frame was built to handle up to a 26 x 2.7" rear tire....so I'm hoping there won't be any problems.

2. anybody know if the 650B will work in the Lyrik without any mods? It is U-turn...so I can adjust the travel down some as needed.

3. I have some spot 5.3 rockers that I can put on the RFX and adjust the Lyrik travel down some to hopefully keep the bottom bracket height from getting too high.....is this probably something I'll want to do?

4. I already have a pair of Hope Pro 2 hubs that are brand new to build to 650B rims...what's the best AM 650B rim to get? Assuming I can figure out spoke length pretty easily using ERD and a calculator.

Any other thoughts/ideas on this? Just something I've been rolling around in my head for a while now since I can't afford the 29'er FS bike that I want right now.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I'd recommend a call to Turner. They are definitely 650b interested over at Turner I believe.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Doesn't keen have a 650B RFX? I can't keep up with all the technical details he was performing on his Turner. I'd PM him and see what he did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Doesn't keen have a 650B RFX? I can't keep up with all the technical details he was performing on his Turner. I'd PM him and see what he did.
    Waiting patiently for my 650b rear wheel build ( ) from my LBS. My RFX is an 08' running a Pike 140mm and a 7.875 x 2 rear shock (145mm travel). Should have a 14.25" BB height. I ran just the 650b front and felt the steering wasn't too precise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I borrowed a friend's wheelset to see about sizing/fit in my frame/fork. Took some pics....tell me what you all think about it. Granted, the front tire is a Quasi-moto and the rear is a Racing Ralph (I would be using the Neo-motos).

rear fit:

completely compressed (6" travel rockers):

Fork (this is where I'm a little more worried):

Fork with 26"x 2.35" Kenda Nevegal:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just put the 650b / Neo-moto's on my RFX - plently of rear clearance. Pike fork clears as well. Those Neo-moto's don't have near the volume my Kenda 2.35's Won't be able to hit the local trails until the rain lets up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just put the 650b / Neo-moto's on my RFX - plently of rear clearance. Pike fork clears as well. Those Neo-moto's don't have near the volume my Kenda 2.35's Won't be able to hit the local trails until the rain lets up. Probably would have went w/ a Kenda Nevegal 650 , up front, had I not allready bought the Neo-moto.

mtbr member
    what's the BB height?

mtbr member
    old thread I know. Thanks to jrm for turning on to me this thread. I'm thinking of converting my 08 RFX to 27.5. Any feedback on how the conversion worked out for you? The main differences for me would be that I have a Van 36 in front and a DHX in back.
    Too fat for XC, and not skilled enough for FR

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jet fixer View Post
    old thread I know. Thanks to jrm for turning on to me this thread. I'm thinking of converting my 08 RFX to 27.5. Any feedback on how the conversion worked out for you? The main differences for me would be that I have a Van 36 in front and a DHX in back.
    I ran 650b F&R on my 08' RFX. With a 7.875 shock & 160 fork the BB height will be quite high, 14.5" range. I installed a 7.5 x 2 shock and ran a 140mm Pike for a solid trail bike setup.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I converted a 06 spot to run 650b. First i used the 06' seat stays and a 08' chainstay with 5.3 rockers ie: slack spot. The BB was hovering around 13.75/static and the angles were slack which i liked. A 2.25 RR cleared the 08' chainstays fine but was to close for comfort at the arch of the 06' seat stays. To remedy the 06' seat stay clearance i got some 08' seat stays and some 5.5 rockers from DT. As it is now the BB is about 14"/static and it feels as if ive retained the 5 spot angles. I removed the RR b/c i couldnt take its braking performance any more and replaced it with a a 2.1 neo moto which easily clears the rear seat and chainstays. Im running a 2.2 WTB Wolverine up front with a fox TALAS 150 without a hitch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    I converted a 06 spot to run 650b. First i used the 06' seat stays and a 08' chainstay with 5.3 rockers ie: slack spot. The BB was hovering around 13.75/static and the angles were slack which i liked. A 2.25 RR cleared the 08' chainstays fine but was to close for comfort at the arch of the 06' seat stays. To remedy the 06' seat stay clearance i got some 08' seat stays and some 5.5 rockers from DT. As it is now the BB is about 14"/static and it feels as if ive retained the 5 spot angles. I removed the RR b/c i couldnt take its braking performance any more and replaced it with a a 2.1 neo moto which easily clears the rear seat and chainstays. Im running a 2.2 WTB Wolverine up front with a fox TALAS 150 without a hitch.
    Have you got some pictures of that Franken-bike-set-up?
    :-)
    Simon

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Good for some

I have a XXL RFX that I though I would revive by doing a 650b conversion. After riding my 5" 29er for a few years, the rfx just sat there in the corner of the garage giving me bad looks. Something had to be done... I tried putting on a 7.5x1.75 Fox septune that was oem on a stumpjumper fsr. The results were not good, when they looked good on paper. 13.5 +/- bb height, 68d +/- head angle with a lyrik u-turn set to 130mm or so. Problem is, I weight 240lbs with gear. The shock was sitting at about 30% sag with 250 psi. First and only ride it bottomed on small hits... I think it was due to a combination of the wrong tune on the shock and the bike being deep into its travel at a static point. I was considering a coil shock, but the fox calc says I would need a 1050lb spring? I dont think those are even available. I have a pretty good stash of parts, so for me the better setup was a 7.785x2.00 rp23 shock with 5.1 spot rockers. Close to stock ha/bb geo with 650b's and proper sag with 250psi...5 Pack? Would like to have a lower bb, but am not sure how it can be accomplished in my situation.

Members who have read this thread: 1