Thread: 650b tubes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

650b tubes?

I need to get some tubes. Is a 650c * 35-43 mm going to work?
    Can i use a 26" tube? Where to get?
    Thanks

TNC
    noMAD man
    Depending on what size 650B tire you're using, I like to get a true 2.35/26" standard tube to use for a NeoMoto/Blunt setup. I'm not talking about some heavy duty or DH/FR level tube. The common standard tube you get from shops and such that are often classified as 1.95/2.25 or thereabouts will work too, but they fit a little tighter, and I think the tiny bit bigger 2.35 standard tube works better at only a few grams heavier. You almost have to look in a wholesaler's catalog to find this tube, as most shops don't stock them. Look at the weights of the tubes to make sure you're not ordering...or buying from stock...a very heavy DH/FR model. I think the last one I bought was a standard Kenda tube...just slightly larger at 2.35, and only a few cents more expensive. I used this tube setup on my Neo/Blunt setup last year for two weeks at Moab, and it was totally reliable. I'm using the ghetto tubeless setup now on my Neo/Blunt setup, and it's holding up.

Old man on a bike
    I just used regular old 26" tubes for my new 650b wheels, works fine.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

650b tube

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Depending on what size 650B tire you're using, I like to get a true 2.35/26" standard tube to use for a NeoMoto/Blunt setup. I'm not talking about some heavy duty or DH/FR level tube. The common standard tube you get from shops and such that are often classified as 1.95/2.25 or thereabouts will work too, but they fit a little tighter, and I think the tiny bit bigger 2.35 standard tube works better at only a few grams heavier. You almost have to look in a wholesaler's catalog to find this tube, as most shops don't stock them. Look at the weights of the tubes to make sure you're not ordering...or buying from stock...a very heavy DH/FR model. I think the last one I bought was a standard Kenda tube...just slightly larger at 2.35, and only a few cents more expensive. I used this tube setup on my Neo/Blunt setup last year for two weeks at Moab, and it was totally reliable. I'm using the ghetto tubeless setup now on my Neo/Blunt setup, and it's holding up.
    Well i looked at the tube that was using for a couple of months a 26 by 1. I had a flat on the trail and put in a 26 by 1.5-2 from performance brand and it lasted about 1/2 mile and the tube exploded with about a 5 inch split. Maybe i did not instal right on the trail.
    Setup is blunt and 2.3 neo motos
    thanks+

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You will be fine using regular 26er tubes. When I used tubes on my 29er I always used 26er tubes and had no issues.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I actually found a set of 28" tubes in a prototype wheelset. Don't ask me where they come from. I personally run 26" tubes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

650b tubes

Quote Originally Posted by pwh4130
    I actually found a set of 28" tubes in a prototype wheelset. Don't ask me where they come from. I personally run 26" tubes.
    I was just a little confused because when i first got the wheelset on the tube box it said 650b but the tube was 26 by 1.5. In my rush to change tube i must have not got tube all inside tire and it blew out 1/2 mile later. Put in a 26 by 2.1 tube tonight with a little more care and it is working fine.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    been running a 26x1.5-2.3 Spec tube for the last three years in the front on my rigid 69er, knock on wood I haven't flatted in 3 years on that bike
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

tubes

Do tubes have a shelf life? I have been tubless for about 4 years until the 650bs.
    I used a 4 year old performance tube and the tube held air for two days in garage.
    Tonight i put the bike in truck and the tube had a blow out about a 4 or 5 inch cut.
    I am ready for the ghetto tubeless.
    I did not have any problems with the tubes i first got for the 650b's.

nothing relevant to say
    I think Conti makes 28" tubes. I recall installing some on a set of 29" wheels and they were a bit small....I figured back then they'd be great for 650B. Finding them ready for sale at a shop is harder to come by than the 2.35"x26" tubes TNC recommended, which is what I also use.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I use Kenda Superlight 26 x 1.9/2.1 sized tubes in my Neo-Motos. If they were a 26" tire I'd just use the 26 x 1.5/1.75 size like I have in all my 2.35 tires for years.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Members who have read this thread: 0