mtbr member

650b Sales Update

I have a buddy at Jamis and he just reported great sell-through and general sales info for the 650b bikes they have already landed from ROC. Not huge numbers (<1000) but good that they are selling through. That means the shops want them AND they understand the product which can be a HUGE problem for sell-through.

Just an FYI.

mk

nothing relevant to say
    Sell-through means they are selling their inventory. Great thing, too.

www.derbyrims.com

sell-through?

Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    I have a buddy at Jamis and he just reported great sell-through and general sales info for the 650b bikes they have already landed from ROC. Not huge numbers (<1000) but good that they are selling through. That means the shops want them AND they understand the product which can be a HUGE problem for sell-through.

Just an FYI.

mk
    Does "sell-through" mean sell-through-a-dealer?

Great numbers if in the range of 1000. Sounds like at least >500 Jamis 650b bikes.

The first 650b trail bike rims and tires are just passing 3 years old, thanks to Kirk Pacenti primarily, with the help of Velocity, and, Panracer who manufacturers Pacenti brand tires.

And this report implies many times faster industry growth of 650b than 29'er. 29'er might have had 25 custom one off bikes 3 years after the first 29'er trail tire, the WTB Nanoraptor was offered in 1999 for use with road or 'cross bike rims.

mtbr member

Inventory "Sell Through"

Very good news, and IMO if these reported #s are correct we, as modern 650b advocates, should be quite pleased with the noteworthy & consistent, progress shown in just a few years.
    Note: The 2012 Dragon 650 is one fine looking ride

mtbr member

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    All those are all 2010 closeouts which did not "sell through" in 2010. I cashed in on B2 frame myself from that seller on eBay, and am glad I grabbed the deal and didn't wait for sales on the 2011's.

Because the 2011 bikes reportedly sold through, so there won't be any 1/2 price steals on those. Either the buying public was stoked by the publicity like the July MBA Article, or the improved MP4 suspension & 12mm rear thru axle, etc., or Jamis simply produced less of them. Or both. Either way they're out of stock.

Folks in this forum hope it's because the golden middle size wheel is catching on as a great performing choice and sales are improving.

We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    None of the new fs bikes have landed yet so this is all hardtails. The sell-through means the dealers got them from Jamis and people bought them from the stores. The minority of sales were probably internet-based.

Again, none of the new squishy bikes are in the US yet so all hardtail data.

mk

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    None of the new fs bikes have landed yet so this is all hardtails. The sell-through means the dealers got them from Jamis and people bought them from the stores. The minority of sales were probably internet-based.

Again, none of the new squishy bikes are in the US yet so all hardtail data.
    Well if any FS come in and are discounted for sale, let me put in a plug for anybody in a buying mode. I'm riding a new 2010 B2 frame with a used Fluid Fork and am just going nuts over how fun this bike is to ride. Apologies if I keep repeating myself in the forum, but most everybody has had a "new bike conversion experience" at some point in their life, and I'm having mine.

The 2011's have Loop Fork, tapered head tube, MP4 suspension, 12mm rear thru rear axle ...

If they ride even better than the 2010, I say go for it

mtbr member
    Jamis should be lauded for their commitment and design on the B series FS trail bikes. I am a full proponent of 650B wheel size, have been riding a set on my 2010 Jamis XAM2 6" AM bike and they work superbly. (its as if Jamis were developing the XAM platform for 650 as the wheels fit perfectly in the chain stays yoke, with no suspension travel limit modification at all-Fox Float air front and rear) I need heavier duty tires to come into existence as I want to get this size wheel in the DH bike Pronto!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    650b is the buzz word at Taichung Bike Week right now...

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    650b is the buzz word at Taichung Bike Week right now...
    Is that where you are right now? If so, let's get you wired like a police informer and put you into harm's way.
    Responds to gravity

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Is that where you are right now? If so, let's get you wired like a police informer and put you into harm's way.

No, not there myself but have a lot of friends reporting back to me. If the number of emails I've received from major players is any indicator, 650b has arrived.

dwt
    mtbr member
    No, not there myself but have a lot of friends reporting back to me. If the number of emails I've received from major players is any indicator, 650b has arrived.
    Good news any way you slice it.

How about those DH tires though? Not for me, personally, but I'm very curious how the big travel crowd will react to this wheel size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    DC won't be happy. I'd watch your back. He me may be a stalker as well as a Troll

mtbr member
    That's exciting to hear.

So, when are those new TL28 Carbon rims gonna be out Kirk??

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    That's exciting to hear.

So, when are those new TL28 Carbon rims gonna be out Kirk??
    Well, I expect the aluminum ones to pull up to my loading dock any minute.

Carbon? Maybe in a year or two.

Cheers,
    KP

mtbr member
    The big travel crowd will eat this wheel size alive. Got to have the HD tire!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Wow. That is great to hear. I'll put my ear to the ground and see if I can get any details. I just want a few more options. I'm not a big consumer, I just like to ride a lot.

And I'm loving the 26" wheels on my dj bike at the pump track...

mk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    The big travel crowd will eat this wheel size alive. Got to have the HD tire!!!!!!
    I agree completely