mtbr member
    Oct 2004

650B rims and tires

I'm thinking of converting my XC race HT to 650B. Ideally I would like to ride a 29er, but 650B conversion would be much easier on the wallet.

What are the production 650B rims out there. Any of these rims tubeless? Any solid race tires yet?

Thanks
    Thompson Elite Seat post 27.2 & 28.6
    E.13 SRS

PM for details

nothing relevant to say
    what frame are you currently running?

Velocity currently has the lock on the market with rims, but not for long. Kirk is currently only offering the only knobby tire. SO as of right now, the Veloctiy blunt or Synergy and The Neo-moto is the only route!
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Too Heavy

Checked out the weights of the rims/tires. Looks like it will be another year or so before there is a race option. Too bad, 650B would probably be great for racing. Until there are rims in the 400 to 450 gram ram and tires in the sub 500gram range I'm not going to take the plung.
    Thompson Elite Seat post 27.2 & 28.6
    E.13 SRS

PM for details

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by gregz12
    Checked out the weights of the rims/tires. Looks like it will be another year or so before there is a race option. Too bad, 650B would probably be great for racing. Until there are rims in the 400 to 450 gram ram and tires in the sub 500gram range I'm not going to take the plung.
    Stan is offering a 650b rim(ZTR 355) in the spring that will be about 400g. No race tires in the near future though.

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    any news on these 650b stans rims.......

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Why couldn't you use a Mavic Open Pro rim in 650B? Mavic lists them at 390 grams. They also sell an aero section CXP33 in 650B that is listed at 425 grams. The aero section rim should be stronger than the box section Open Pro rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    Why couldn't you use a Mavic Open Pro rim in 650B? Mavic lists them at 390 grams. They also sell an aero section CXP33 in 650B that is listed at 425 grams. The aero section rim should be stronger than the box section Open Pro rim.
    Are you sure they are 650b? I think they are 650c.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good point. On Mavic's website they only list them as "650". I looked on www.speedgoat.com and found that they are "650C" with an effective ETRTO of 571mm. I completely forgot that there is a 650B and a 650C.

Members who have read this thread: 0