Thread: 650b Nickel

mtbr member

650b Nickel

Has anyone tried? The way the bike handles, I think it screams for a 650b wheelset! I believe they fit on a butcher, but would like to know if they fit the nickel before I pull the trigger for fork and wheelset.
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    bump - anyone try it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wondering the same! <bump>

mtbr member
    Have not been able to build it up yet, but after a quick test fit, it wll work! Check out Butcher Looks Promising thread

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rinconjake680 View Post
    Have not been able to build it up yet, but after a quick test fit, it wll work! Check out Butcher Looks Promising thread
    Front or Rear (or both) and what tire width?

Thanks!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Yes, done , front and rear, no issues no suspension mods (with fox 130mm fork)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    Yes, done , front and rear, no issues no suspension mods (with fox 130mm fork)

Looks good, any issues with the BB being so high?

mtbr member
    It makes the bike look short in the wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Looks good, any issues with the BB being so high?
    Nope.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    It does . . . but that could be a lot of fun! Maybe an Angleset if its a problem?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

NedwannaB

Optical elusion

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I thought so at first too. Think it's just the current seat hieght.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    But how does it ride?

just a man

Thanks predecessors...

My new Nickel frame arrived today. Aired up my rear Flow w/NeoMoto 2.1 and test-fit for clearance. Yay. Will post pics later. Thanks folks who gave the inspiration to try this.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X View Post
    My new Nickel frame arrived today. Aired up my rear Flow w/NeoMoto 2.1 and test-fit for clearance. Yay. Will post pics later. Thanks folks who gave the inspiration to try this.
    What color? I am almost finished with building up my Bumpernickel a.k.a. Ginger. (cable routing is driving me crazy) I have enough space for Nevegal 2.1 in the rear, but I am quite sure MegaMoto or larger Schwalbe tires will not make it there with my current narrow rim.

just a man
    White. Nice frame. No bottle opener though...hmmmm.

Last four pics are of the shock fully compressed. Interestingly, it didn't even bottom the shock out - there was another 10mm left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b Nickel-2012-07-11-14.22.23.jpg  

650b Nickel-2012-07-11-15.18.31.jpg  

650b Nickel-2012-07-11-15.24.54.jpg  

650b Nickel-2012-07-11-15.24.59.jpg  

650b Nickel-2012-07-11-15.25.07.jpg  

Last edited by Bombin4X; 07-11-2012 at 08:03 PM.

mtbr member
    No bottle opener? That's the only reason I bought one today. Damn it!

banned
    Feb 2012
    Meet Ginger. I finished her thirty minutes ago, she is still greasy in the picture. I did a quick ride around the house and she felt good!

Got the frame on Monday, started taking Red Fox apart yesterday, finished the Nickel tonight.

just a man
    Very nice. I have been reading up all night on forks. Is that the X-Fusion Velvet?

banned
    Feb 2012
    Yes it is, it is the 2011 model with 130mm of travel.

just a man
    Very cool. I did a lot of reading (until 1 am) on the X-Fusion Velvet last night, revisiting some older threads and posts. I think I have distilled that the 2012 RL2 DLA is not a good candidate for a 650b because it cannot be adjusted with spacers for travel and could strike the tire on max compression?

Ultimately, I would like 130-140 travel without any clearance issues for a knobbier (such as Kinda Nevegal or something else new coming out next year) for wetter conditions although I will probably be running a less agressive, faster tire for general riding. Is my understanding correct that the non-DLA Velvets are all good candidates based on what I am looking to do?

Thanks!

banned
    Feb 2012
    I think so. I would go with Velvet 2012 RL2 and try it at 140mm, the price is nice and it is reasonably lightweight, too. The 15mm TA is great and stiff, I would probably get a tapered steerer - but I have to ride the Nickel first to figure some of these details out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Meet Ginger. I finished her thirty minutes ago, she is still greasy in the picture. I did a quick ride around the house and she felt good!

Got the frame on Monday, started taking Red Fox apart yesterday, finished the Nickel tonight.
    Looks great SiHacka! At some point we need to get together for a ride so I can check it out. Do you use that 3rd ring? Might want to consider a bash for our conditions.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Looks great SiHacka! At some point we need to get together for a ride so I can check it out. Do you use that 3rd ring? Might want to consider a bash for our conditions.
    Thank you Skidad, I need to take better pictures than this midnight disaster. I took the drive train off the 456 for now but I will be most likely converting to a 9x2+bash+tensioner later. The frame does not like 9x3 at all., when you cross the gears, the chain sometimes barely clears the chainstays or hangs in there too loose.

I wonder if a medium cage RD has the capacity for 9x2 and chain growth which is about 2 links on this bike IIRC.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Medium cage will work fine with a 2 x 9. Still you should avoid cross chaining but you know that already.

No ISCG tabs makes a good tensioner a bit more tricky. Medium cage RD, only 125mm travel along with the shorter chain you probably wont need one.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Is the small frame really 7.4 pounds? That is what Competitive Cyclist says.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Ginger part II. It felt great on the trail I but need to tweak the cockpit a bit and the shock pressure was off (hate those pumps..) so no comments on the riding experience, yet.

Before her 1st ride

I can make your booty pop...

The mech does not interfere with the large wheel

Finally some action!

banned
    Feb 2012
    A quick update after 25 miles: YEEEEEEHAAAAA!!!

This thing is quick, nimble, very tossable, climbs like a goat and descents like Hermann Maier. Sure it is not the most lightweight 5" bike around but it oozes confidence and robustness and I find myself throwing it at challenging stuff with a big grin on my face. In technical and loose rocks sections, I am faster on it than on a carbon HT. I have to admit that there are moments when I miss the extra slack of the 456C but a 140mm fork should fix that I am sure. If you are still on the fence, go get it, this bike is fun! I think that the only reason it was not selling is the "paper disadvantage of just 125mm of travel compared to 140mm of most trail bikes" but I have to say that the 5 inches of APP suspension feel great for our technical NE trails when mated to 650b wheels.
    Last edited by StiHacka; 07-14-2012 at 06:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    A quick update after 25 miles: YEEEEEEHAAAAA!!!

This thing is quick, nimble, very tossable, climbs like a goat and descents like Hermann Meier. Sure it is not the most lightweight 5" bike around but it oozes confidence and robustness and I find myself throwing it at challenging stuff with a big grin on my face. In technical and loose rocks sections, I am faster on it than on a carbon HT. I have to admit that there are moments when I miss the extra slack of the 456C but a 140mm fork should fix that I am sure. If you are still on the fence, go get it, this bike is fun! I think that the only reason it was not selling is the "paper disadvantage of just 125mm of travel compared to 140mm of most trail bikes" but I have to say that the 5 inches of APP suspension feel great for our technical NE trails when mated to 650b wheels.
    Thanks for the update!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Watch out for that red flash in the MA woods....

Glad you like the new ride. Pretty good bargain huh?
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Watch out for that red flash in the MA woods....

Glad you like the new ride. Pretty good bargain huh?
    Deal of the century! Thank you for your support, let's meet for a ride before the Summer is over.

mtbr member
    Was the woods photo taken at the Middlesex Fells?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Looks good in red.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
    Was the woods photo taken at the Middlesex Fells?
    Yes it was. I ride there almost every day when in town.

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Looks good in red.
    Red bikes are the best!

mtbr member
    Looks real nice StiHacka! Finally got my fork ( fox 140 talas terralogic) and now saving for wheelset. Glad to see you like it especially in NE root riddled riding.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Looks real nice StiHacka! Finally got my fork ( fox 140 talas terralogic) and now saving for wheelset. Glad to see you like it especially in NE root riddled riding.
    It gets better with every ride. I have just clocked 20% off my best time at one of the short rough downhills in the Fells and that was in the heat of the dry washouts season. The BB height feels good - actually, it is lower than on my C456b so I have to start paying better attention to the cranks, I would not want the BB a bit lower. I am slowly getting a feeling that a 150mm tapered fork might be the bees knees, eff the warranty.

Here is the obligatory picture from today's HOT ride.

just a man

Stoke

I'm pretty pumped looking at your completed bike as I wait for my components to arrive. Just pulled the trigger on a mess of X0 and other parts.... yike$ it adds up quickly. Fortunately I already had some of the other pricey parts.

Hoping to have my new Nickel fully assembled in the next week:

Stan's Flow ZTR 650b wheels
    NeoMotos 2.3 fr/2.1rr or Nevegals 2.3 fr/2.1rr depending on what I will ride
    Truvativ X0 2X10 crankset 42/28T
    Sram pc1091 Hollow pin chain
    Sram PG1050 11-32T cassette
    X0 derailleurs
    X0 triggers
    MRP 2x chainguide
    Avid Elixir X0 180 fr and rr
    Reverb post
    Dirty 30 bars
    Forte Convert pedals
    Truvativ 70mm AKA stem
    12 X-fusion Velvet RL 140mm

Will be just about all white and black. Simplicity. Stay tuned for pics.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Thou shalt ride your bike!
    At once sir!

Got me a longer/narrower saddle that should work better with this beast - a Gobi XM w/ magnesium rails. No plans for additional upgrades ATM.

... and a pair of matching shoes, too. (just a coincidence! but red shoes pedal faster)

mtbr member
    Uhhh, thats a funny looking "Nickel" with a straight Down tube?

Every Nickel I have seen has a bend just before the BB.

Did you say it was a size small? (Maybe thats why its straight?)

mtbr member
    ^ The newer ones are straight.

Is your avitar an Empire Cycles frame?

mtbr member
    Intresting, Yup, Empire on the avatar.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Mine is medium and it fits me like a glove (5'9", ~33" inseam, 60mm stem). All the 2011 frames have the straight down tube. I believe they were cheaper to manufacture that way. Since I do not see the down tube while riding, I do not really care.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    Intresting, Yup, Empire on the avatar.
    Right on! I like them.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Mine is medium and it fits me like a glove (5'9", ~33" inseam, 60mm stem). All the 2011 frames have the straight down tube. I believe they were cheaper to manufacture that way. Since I do not see the down tube while riding, I do not really care.
    Never really cared for how those nickels looked but I'm lovin that red. Makes me see it in a whole nother light. Especially with 650bs
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    ..and they are for sale cheap (40% off) on right now! Hucknroll.com
    Last edited by Morpheous; 07-24-2012 at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Hah, we should have a Fells meetup, I have a blue Nickel I haven't taken there yet.

FWIW I have a Pike on the front of mine (it's a Frankenbike), and I think 140 is pretty nice, 150 may very well be overkill. I'm thinking now when I get new wheels for it I'll be going 650b as well.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball_jones View Post
    Hah, we should have a Fells meetup, I have a blue Nickel I haven't taken there yet.
    Sounds good to me! I do not think I will be able to do the Thursday NEMBA ride this week but we should meet, I would like to meet another Nickel and his rider.

mtbr member
    As soon as my 650B Nickel is complete I will start haunting the Fells too. Still waiting for a few parts to come in but the real problem is that there are no tires available anywhere. In the meantine I'll keep pounding my Intense Spider and SC Stigmata CX bike.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
    As soon as my 650B Nickel is complete I will start haunting the Fells too. Still waiting for a few parts to come in but the real problem is that there are no tires available anywhere. In the meantine I'll keep pounding my Intense Spider and SC Stigmata CX bike.
    Btw i just got a shipping notice for my backordered 650b 2.35" nevegal tire so it sounds like jensonusa got some tires available if you like nevegals. Kenda Nevegal 650B (27.5") DTC Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

banned
    Feb 2012
    Thank you for heads up KVW. Just ordered a 2.1 Nevegal there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post
    Btw i just got a shipping notice for my backordered 650b 2.35" nevegal tire so it sounds like jensonusa got some tires available if you like nevegals. Kenda Nevegal 650B (27.5") DTC Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Does the 650b X 2.35 nevegal fit at full stuff without hitting the downtube?

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post
    I ordered a couple also and they should be here possibly tomorrow. Pretty good deal.

banned
    Feb 2012
    New wheel, new Nevegal in the rear. It is nice to see that even in the 650b world, good deals can be had.

Just a flesh wound

Nice!

StiHacka,

How's the new wheel, and is that the new drop post?

Got some drops and chutes for you!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    StiHacka,

How's the new wheel, and is that the new drop post?

Got some drops and chutes for you!
    I am looking forward to those! The wheel feels great, it is good to be back to 650b. The drop post is still in the box, I gotta do baby steps these days, I am hoping for tomorrow. How about a ride somewhere near 495 later this week, with Skidad?

Just a flesh wound

Not this week

Heading North Friday for 24 Hours of Great Glen! 4 man team!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member

Nickel .5

Well it has taken over a year, but I finally have it built...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b Nickel-_mg_4156.jpg  

650b Nickel-_mg_4152.jpg  

650b Nickel-_mg_4155.jpg  

mtbr member
    Is the Nobby Nic a 2.35 or 2.25? How is the clearance at full compression?

mtbr member
    2.25. Roughly 10mm clearance. Could of gone 2.35 up front, but glad I stayed at 2.25 in rear.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Does anyone know the frame weight for an extra large?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    Does anyone know the frame weight for an extra large?

Heavy! But don't worry about it. It rides light, it will out live you and it will be the best bike you ever rode!

mtbr member
    2.25. Roughly 10mm clearance. Could of gone 2.35 up front, but glad I stayed at 2.25 in rear.
    Anyone know the largest 650b tire that can fit on the rear of the nickel without rubbing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The 2.25 Nobby Nic, 2.25 Hans Dampf, and 2.35 Nevegal fit in the rear without rubbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    absolutely loving my 650b Nickel

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    reviving an old thread because after 2 years i'm finally converting my nickel to 650b. would like to get some news from the experienced folks on how things currently are riding. and updates?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Mine is still working out great. I recently upgraded the wheelset to LB carbon rims on Hope Pro2 Evo hubs. I also swapped out a Manitou Minute Pro 26er fork for a RS Revelation 27.5" fork for more clearance. and lastly went to a OneUp components 42t/16t/RAD cage setup. It's pretty much done now, I think it's perfect for my local terrain.

Here's a crappy garage pic I just took of it.

And here she is being flogged last weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    DYI01: what size fork are u running?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by membrain View Post
    DYI01: what size fork are u running?
    RS Revelation RCT3, 27.5, 130mm. The Nickel geometry was based around a fork with a 509 A2C, and the 130mm 27.5 fork is 519mm, so it only changes the static geometry slightly. When sagged its probably negligible. I was running a 26er Manitou Minute 140 previously, and the added arch clearance is awesome, well worth the upgrade.

mtbr member
    I'm still happily running mine. Changes include going to 1x10 with a race face 30 up front and adding a 40 on the rear. Shifts great even with a regular non-clutch XT rear derr. My shock and fork were done by Push which has made a difference, especially up front since I now have full travel for the first time with the proper sag. I have a 26" Fox 140 in front and Burgtec fittings on the rear to get a bit more slack. BB height is 13.5, perfect for my conditions. I could not go lower where I ride in New England.
    I test rode a SC 5010 and Ibis 650 HDR: great bikes but not good enough to warrant changing out at this point. What did surprise me was a test ride on a Pivot 429C; super agile and handles like a 26er. A really crazy do anything bike but I wish it had just a bit more travel to plow through the rock gardens.
    "I just want to ride my bike and not get hassled by the man." Peter Fonda, The Wild Angels, 1966

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Since I converted my nickel to a 200x57 rear shock I've decided to try thte 650b front/26" rear set up. I'll be using an x-fusion velvet rl2 fork. I'll see if i'll like this set up.

mtbr member
    Got mine for sale:

Basically brand new 650b converted. 2012 Frame. Brand new fork and wheels.

Spam pass here: 2012 Santa Cruz Nickel 650b - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    membrain please share your thoughts on this setup....i'm rolling 26" currently and cant decide if I want to try a 200x57 shock or try 650b wheels. since i want to upgrade the fox RL anyways i'm thinking that route would be cheaper overall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestAir View Post
    membrain please share your thoughts on this setup....i'm rolling 26" currently and cant decide if I want to try a 200x57 shock or try 650b wheels. since i want to upgrade the fox RL anyways i'm thinking that route would be cheaper overall.
    I decided to "67er" or "6er-B" my bike.. however you wanna see it. I'm running 26 rear w/ the 200x57 rear shock for 140ish rear travel w/ 650b front w/ and X-fusion velvet 140. I immediately felt the difference in steering and acceleration. Haven't taken it on a longer ride but will do this week and report back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    membrain- what are your thoughts about the 67er setup after more risw time? i'm still unsure which route to go for my nickel.... thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestAir View Post
    membrain- what are your thoughts about the 67er setup after more risw time? i'm still unsure which route to go for my nickel.... thanks!
    Ditto - membrain, in good health we hope

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post
    Ditto - membrain, in good health we hope
    I'm still alive. I started splitting time between the road and trail. I loved the handling of the frankenbike setup but I think i'm finally taking the plunge and going full 650b setup this time around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I just finished my conversion, I'm running a 2.35 rock razor in the rear and it clears. Haven't taken it on any trails yet since they're all packed with snow. I'm most concerned about the BB height and the tippy feeling, if it's uncomfortably noticeable I think i'll put in some offset bushings. Around the block it feels great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b Nickel-img_0909.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 2