Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43

    650B conversion w/ wider bars

    Marin Quad XC Mount Vision 2006 650B conversion. I've been riding the converted bike since March and have been much faster, to the point that I think wider bars would add greater control. The larger wheel grabs more and steers a bit heavier, while all the extra cornering traction leads to carrying more speed. Installed a 27" Race Face Next riser last night, and shortened 1 cm in stem length to 100mm. The old bar was a very nice 25" Race Face on a 110mm stem. If anything to report besides busted knuckles, I'll post.

    Has anyone else tried a wider bar on converted bike? Pros / cons?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,366
    I like your shifter set up. Why'd you decide to do it that way?

    Wider is better?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43
    The left shifter permits FD trim adjustment. I find that this bike's chainline demands trimming or else I just have to put up with chain rubbing FD at one extreme of cassette. The twist shifter also doesn't "click-dump" the chain in a downshift so I'm less likely to drop chain onto BB shell when things gets dirty and rough. Love the XT right shifter, great.

  4. #4
    Eating Hot Pockets
    Reputation: A. Nony Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    503
    Wider IS better! more leverage, more stability.
    i'm running 29.5 to 31" bars on all my bikes at this point with zero negatives to report.
    (and yes, i'm on the East Coast and still have all my knuckles intact )

    Last edited by A. Nony Moose; 08-30-2009 at 07:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Rillburgher
    Marin Quad XC Mount Vision 2006 650B conversion. I've been riding the converted bike since March and have been much faster, to the point that I think wider bars would add greater control. The larger wheel grabs more and steers a bit heavier, while all the extra cornering traction leads to carrying more speed. Installed a 27" Race Face Next riser last night, and shortened 1 cm in stem length to 100mm. The old bar was a very nice 25" Race Face on a 110mm stem. If anything to report besides busted knuckles, I'll post.

    Has anyone else tried a wider bar on converted bike? Pros / cons?
    Rillburgher,

    Great looking bike. I'd love to hear a detailed ride report on the Marin.

    Funny you should ask about the handlebars; I have come to the same conclusion. I've noticed I've been carrying much more speed into the corners and want / need a little more leverage.

    I'll be bumping up from a 25.38" Answer carbon bar to something at least 26.5" - 27.0" wide and going from a 100mm to 90mm stem in the next week or so.

    Cheers,

    KP

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chefmiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,512
    I moved to a Surly bar and have felt it handle better. I had a similar set up on an old Klein Palomino but eventually set it up with Pauls Thumbies.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    336

    I've been riding that shifter set up for a while now.

    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I like your shifter set up. Why'd you decide to do it that way?
    I don't like to hear the front derailleur rub. The Gripshift allows for the ultimate trim. I think mine is a first gen ESP front shifter. I found it in the bottom of my tool box, new never used.

    B

  8. #8
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,860
    Shimano's road bike line of flat bar rapidfire shifters (which are available in 8, 9 and 10 speed models) have a trim setting for the front derailleur. Very useful for eliminating derailleur rub and not being stuck with a gripshifter. Of course thumbies work even better and are the lightest...
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  9. #9
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    DeeEight!...stuck with a gripshifter? Bite your tongue!...LOL!

    Yeah, I like at least a 26" bar but not bigger than 27"...at least anywhere trees are going to be present. Moose, I don't see how in the world you ride with 31" bars in woods. I had a couple of light...175-200cc...enduro dirt motors that I raced with 31" bars. While that may be narrow for dirt motors, I can't imagine them on my MTB's. Not flaming you by any means, just seems super wide for a trail bike. Very interesting.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    179
    I have swapped all of the handlebars on my bikes to wide bars. On my 650b spooky race bike I'm on 28's, and right now I can't seem to get comfortable on anything with bars narrower than 27.5" bars.
    The wide bars aren't a 650b only thing, I just built up a slalom bike and put 27 inch bars on it and it didn't feel quite right, put on 30's and dayummm awesome!
    (and yes I live in New England where the trees are tight, the roots and rocks are slippery, and haven't broken fingers.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by grnbkr
    The wide bars aren't a 650b only thing, I just built up a slalom bike and put 27 inch bars on it and it didn't feel quite right, put on 30's and dayummm awesome!
    (and yes I live in New England where the trees are tight, the roots and rocks are slippery, and haven't broken fingers.
    Grnbkr, in swapping out the 27 inch bar for 30, did you swap to a shorter stem? What are the length stems have you had success with your wider bars? In other words, recognizing that other factors come into play, do 27 inch bars call for a certain length stem?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Nony Moose
    Wider IS better! more leverage, more stability.
    i'm running 29.5 to 31" bars on all my bikes at this point with zero negatives to report.
    (and yes, i'm on the East Coast and still have all my knuckles intact )

    Polished Santa Cruz... droooool

    I put wide bars on my 1x1 (27") before going to 650b. The increased leverage and control just makes sense on a rigid singlespeed. Now the bars on my geared bike (24") feel way too small. It's time to upgrade...
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

  13. #13
    Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Reputation: Kirk Pacenti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,630
    Nonny,

    How is that Heckler treating you? It may have been posted elsewhere, but I'd like to read an in depth ride report on this bike.

    Cheers,

    KP

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.