Poll: Would you buy a carbon 650b rim if the option existed?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

650b carbon rim option possibly in the works

EDIT 3/16/12 - Added the poll to the thread. Make sure to show your support whether you post something or not. If we get lots of support, it will hopefully get the ball rolling

There's a loooooong thread in the "29er Components" forum entitled "(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?". I bought a pair of them, as well as many others, and we've all been quite impressed with the quality. There's several manufacturers mentioned early on in the thread but the following retailer is the one most of us have ultimately purchased from:

carbon mountain bike rim-mountain bike rim,mountain rims,mtb rim,mtb rims,carbon mtb rim

Most of us 29er folk have purchased the "AM" model.

Anyway, I emailed Nancy a few days ago inquiring about a 650b "AM" model. She said her manager was aware of the size and was considering making them. She asked me what dimensions I would like so I sent her the following:

Size:650b - ISO 584
    * Width: 30.0mm
    * Inner bead width: 23mm
    * Section Height: 20mm
    * ERD: 565mm
    * Weight: 370g range

She said she would let her manager know. Is anyone besides me excited about a sweet @$$ CARBON 650b rim option?

Once again, I've had first hand experience with them and they're AMAZING rims for the price! The finish isn't close to an ENVE, but they're 1/6th the price! The few people that have had complaints have also been taken care of with cash refunds very promptly.

Anyway, I suggest you guys read up and message Nancy if you think you'd be interested. The more interest they get, I'm sure the closer they would get to producing them

PS - You can actually request a beefier version if you're heavier They can do custom drillings anywhere from 16 to 36 hole and they do Matte UD, 3K weave and 12K weave. Basically, you dream it, they can make it!

Proceed to speculate I suggest reading the 29er thread all the way thru because most any questions will have already been answered. Also, Nancy returns emails pretty promptly. I've always received an answer within 24hrs...

NOTE: I'm in no way affiliated with them. I'm simply a happy customer and am trying to push the 650b movement a tad bit further
    Last edited by DFYFZX; 03-16-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added poll

STS
    mtbr member
    but if pacenti makes the TL28 in similar weight (one of mine was 387g) the only advantage I see in carbon rims is aesthetic

www.derbyrims.com
    Wow, very encouraging! The price for these carbon fiber rims seems in line with what it should be compared with mass produced higher end aluminum rims. And I like the asymmetrical spoke holes.

The wall thickness is thicker than higher end aluminum rims, so a 2 - 3 mm wider outer width is required of a CF rim for the same tire cross section profile of a higher end aluminum rim.

The thicker wall thickness is an indication they are stiffer and more durable to rock hits too.

The width of the 29'er CF rim seems appropriate for most trail conditions.

I personally like even wider rims for more air volume allowing lower tire pressures, and a more square tread profile for cornering bite. So for these rims I'd also want a 38 to 40mm wide carbon fiber rim, to make a similar tire volume and profile as a P35 rim.

Thanks for the heads up!

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'd shoot Nancy an email and request a wide one as well. It actually makes a lot of sense for the existing 650b tires since they're all on the narrower side. Once some true 2.4" tires show up, would the 40mm wide rims still be as popular?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    FYI, a few guys that own Specialized's Roval carbon wheels have bought a set of these and say they're nearly identical! I've bluntly asked Nancy twice if they make Specialized's rims for them and she said "no", but they do make carbon parts for many big names in the industry They aren't some Ma and Pop carbon facility. If you read their site thoroughly, it says in there somewhere that all their products pass the EN standard

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by STS View Post
    but if pacenti makes the TL28 in similar weight (one of mine was 387g) the only advantage I see in carbon rims is aesthetic

Aesthetics is the only reason the buy a Carbon frame too, no advantage over Aluminum
    OG Ripley v2

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Really? You seriously think that carbon is only different LOOKING than aluminum??? Please stay out of this thread or get educated before you unknowingly sabotage a 650b carbon rim for the rest of us that know better...

Watch this video of a LIGHTER carbon frame outlasting an aluminum frame in strength tests and then tell me aluminum is the same strength as carbon:

Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - Pinkbike.com
    Last edited by DFYFZX; 03-16-2012 at 12:20 PM.

nothing relevant to say
    I would buy, without regard to the rim's designation. XC, AM, DH, I would buy a pair. I can find a bike they will work on. qc:

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube View Post
    I would buy, without regard to the rim's designation. XC, AM, DH, I would buy a pair. I can find a bike they will work on. qc:
    I don't even have a 650b at this time but if this rim materializes, I'll have a 650b Mojo HD as fast as I can get my paws on one

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Really? You seriously think that carbon is only different LOOKING than aluminum??? Please stay out of this thread or get educated before you unknowingly sabotage a 650b carbon rim for the rest of us that know better...

Watch this video of a LIGHTER carbon frame outlasting an aluminum frame in strength tests and then tell me aluminum is the same strength as carbon:

Not discrediting what you are saying. Totally agree that on a per pound basis carbon is stronger than aluminum... but that video... the carbon frames didn't come off the assembly line. I have a strong feeling that they were prototypes and/or were made to higher standards than what you would normally get. I also didn't see them mention weight anywhere in the video. Just realize that Santa Cruz used ENVE for their DH team rig... not their normal Chinese supplier... That should tell you something. I for one wouldn't mine trying a set of 650b carbon rims for what that Chinese company is selling them for but lets not fool ourselves into thinking all carbon is equal. You usually get what you pay for.

Santa Cruz and Enve Carbon - Interbike 2011 - Pinkbike.com
    Killing it with close inspection.

banned
    Feb 2012
    I want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Who were you replying to?
    OG Ripley v2

banned
    Feb 2012
    Can we please not turn this thread into a million seventh discussion about carbon vs. aluminum?

www.derbyrims.com
    I'd shoot Nancy an email and request a wide one as well. It actually makes a lot of sense for the existing 650b tires since they're all on the narrower side. Once some true 2.4" tires show up, would the 40mm wide rims still be as popular?
    I did email Nancy and request wider rims for both 26 and 650b.

Wider tires need wider rims to make use of the edge knobs, and to avoid rolling and traction losses from high air pressures required to prevent side wallow. But some riders would like a narrows rim with a 2.4 tire having short and tightly spaced knobs, making a more round cross section for drifting hard packed dirt or high traction riding urban and indoor park uses.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Mmmm, I love me some carbon. But its all about price. Ill pay Sette carbon prices, but not Santa Cruz prices cuz I'm cheap like that.

Voted.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

Old-newbie
    I think these would be perfect for my soon to be 650b Mojo HD. I especially like the idea of a beefier version. I am not that heavy, but I get a lot of hard rock strikes.
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yea, I'd be interested, price pending. I have chinese carbon rims on my CX bike with disc brakes. I've built up to sets for the road. Overall I've been impressed.

I still lust after ENVE though.

mtbr member
    I'll be interested as I'm thinking of getting a custom 26" Cannondale Scalpel size small and I'm wondering about the tyre clearance and tyre sizes. would this fit?

STS
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Aesthetics is the only reason the buy a Carbon frame too, no advantage over Aluminum

Sorry for not explaining it correctly
    I'm user of lot of carbon parts since in '98 I bought my old GT-STS
    frames, handlebars, seatposts,....
    I perfectly know the mechanical advantadges of carbon
    And that's the reason I don't see it in 3 parts when practicing allmountain/agresive ride:
    rims, cranks and chainstays
    just because they are the most exposed aginst rocks, bad landings,...

I even use X.0 carbon cranks in my carbon Genius LT, but just because they came with the bike. Similar weight than xtr or any high end crankset, but with some months they are in very poor condition

I consider they work well in roadbikes (or even XC mtb) because the plus in rigidity, aerodinamic shapes,...but not so good for allmountain, is my opinion

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I want one...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    a light weight rim for racing, I'll take a set
    A friend of mine just bought a set of 29er rims from this company. His rims look very
    nice, better finish than my stans rims

Awkward1
    Apr 2011

Changing my vote to Yes

I voted before I read the thread. If the price and quality is as it appears, I'd certainly be interested. Thanks for the pioneering work.

mtbr member
    Yes, this is the only way I can see myself getting carbon rims! $1000+ wheels on a MTB make no sense to me (unless I become ridiculously wealthy out of the blue) Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    just voted yes, my blur xc carbon is happy

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Guys, Nancy has been in contact with me. Here's the current state of development:

"Hello Jonathan,

Will the 650b rims as popular as 29er rim?
    We are thinking to open a mold, but the mold cost is a bit expensive, so we have to know the market requirement first.

Thanks,
    Nancy"

and

"Hello Jonathan,

If we can sell 80pairs to 100pairs, it will worth to open the mold. Because the mold cost is about USD3200.

We have got about 4 inquiries about this size these days.

Thanks,
    Nancy"

Send them a message! Let them know there's interest! Things are on the brink so now's the time to speak up if you really want this to become a reality

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Guys, Nancy has been in contact with me. Here's the current state of development:

"Hello Jonathan,

We are thinking to open a mold, but the mold cost is a bit expensive, so we have to know the market requirement first.

Thanks,
    Nancy"

and

"Hello Jonathan,

If we can sell 80pairs to 100pairs, it will worth to open the mold. Because the mold cost is about USD3200.

Thanks,
    Nancy"

Send them a message! Let them know there's interest! Things are on the brink so now's the time to speak up if you really want this to become a reality
    Email Sent.

Uncle
    Somewhat interested, but I'm currently more interested in seeing a bigger range of tires hit the market -- specifically, something with decent volume & traction @ ~650g. This was the Racing Ralph I believe, but I don't think Schwalbe is making them again any time soon... Or will they?

Back on topic: Only moderately interested because assuming I can have the tire I want, the new TL28 Pacenti rims will work just fine for my needs.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Nancy may be interested in articles like this one (posted in another thread): Q&A: Scott's Adrian Montgomery on 650b | The Straight Dirt | MountainBike.com

A bet on 650b is a risk indeed, but she could have a good shot at a soon to be booming market.

mtbr member
    Subscribed.

Don't tell Nancy that 650 will be as popular as 29". That would be misleading. At least for now. But her sales numbers don't seem very high so that should be doable with a little time.

To those who haven't a clue about furthering the development and use of alternative materials just stay out of it. We're not interested. This is a pro carbon composite thread.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    They sound like they're ready to pull the trigger as long as they think enough rims would sell. I STRONGLY urge everyone to message them, even if they don't intend to buy a set. The demand is out there! This isn't the only forum, nor place, that 650b fanatics hang out. If any of you are on other forums, feel free to XPost this thread to your friends over there as well=)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just heard from Enve to stay tuned for press from Sea Otter RE 650b. Maybe this was posted elsewhere; didn't see it.

Mike

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Forget carbon, they are not cost effective so far.

Give me real UST. WTB Frequency would be nice. Mavic equivalent of 819. Shimano wheels.

I have had it with Stan's difficult mounting, tire incompatibilities etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If the price is in the neighborhood of the other carbon wheels they make than I am a future customer for 650B. I've been wanting to try the wheel size and carbon rims, so why not beat both those birds faces in with a rock.

banned
    Oct 2004
    bump, because i want!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I had e-mailed Nancy about 26" rims about a week ago, but sent her an e-mail today saying I'm holding off on the 26" to go for a 650b when/if they make them, as it is for sure going to be my next bike/wheel size in the kinda near future.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeroon View Post
    I had e-mailed Nancy about 26" rims about a week ago, but sent her an e-mail today saying I'm holding off on the 26" to go for a 650b when/if they make them, as it is for sure going to be my next bike/wheel size in the kinda near future.
    When I did live chat w/ her, she told me end of next month...after they get the wider 26ers out of testing. So, hopefully, July...?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Any updates? Seems like they are having a lot of trouble with the 26 size rims. Maybe it will delay development/production of 650b rims?

AKA Mr.Habanero
    Im very interested but one of my consern is that it will work with my 2er Fox 36 Float.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I am in for (1) set . Prefer 30mm/ 23 internal as proposed by Light Bicycle.

banned
    Feb 2012
    I do not think we will see them anytime soon especially if they have strong demand for 29ers. They just keep rattling the chain.

vto
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Count me in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Emailed n was told it will be ready in august

vto
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Update. Received this email from Nancy today.

"Our 650b rims still haven't been ready. We just start the testing samples. They will be ready to sell about 20days later.

Thanks,
    Nancy"

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vto View Post

"Our 650b rims still haven't been ready. We just start the testing samples. They will be ready to sell about 20days later.

Thanks,
    Nancy"
    That's great! At least we know the mold exists now.
    I'm very curious if Light-Bicycle is connected to the places cited by the "$160 650b carbon rims" thread. Don't know about you guys, but the similarities between LB, FlyXi, Hong-Fu, Deng-Fu products...I can't help but wonder if these folks share their fab plant and testing facilities...?

banned
    Feb 2012
    This is like nuclear fusion reactors. "For the past 40 years, we were being assured that the reactor were only 40 years away from production use." In this case, for the past couple of months, the rims were only a month away from ready to be shipped.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    This is like nuclear fusion reactors. "For the past 40 years, we were being assured that the reactor were only 40 years away from production use." In this case, for the past couple of months, the rims were only a month away from ready to be shipped.
    I have never heard that one... The only thing I've heard about fusion reactors is you'll need a fission reactor sitting beside one just to supply enough power to make a fusion reactor work

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I have never heard that one... The only thing I've heard about fusion reactors is you'll need a fission reactor sitting beside one just to supply enough power to make a fusion reactor work
    Just switch to thorium cycle fission.

meh

Thanks,
    Nancy"
    just got the same email

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Thanks,
    Nancy"
    so *maybe* we'll get something by September?
    Getting harder and harder to wait....The TL28 is back in stock again. Decisions, decisions

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

"Hello Jonathan,

Thanks,
    Nancy"

and

"Hello Jonathan,

Thanks,
    Nancy"

I'm happy and excited to get a pair. But am I the only one that finds this an odd way to do business? I really don't care, just found it very...unique...well, whatever...as long as we get them. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I sent her the following:

Size:650b - ISO 584
    * Width: 30.0mm
    * Inner bead width: 23mm
    * Section Height: 20mm
    * ERD: 565mm
    * Weight: 370g range
    My 353gr 26in carbon rims would have come up to 370gr in 650b so your are correct. I would expect 560mm ERD as the 26in version is the same as the Flows 26in. Flows 650b have 560mm ERD. I am very happy with my rims and will pick up a pair of 650b whatever the ERD!

Members who have read this thread: 0